Charlie Adam's future in his own hands

Amac9

Rangers manager Walter Smith insists it is up to Charlie Adam whether the midfielder remains a Rangers player after the January transfer window.

The 23-year-old started his first game for a month on Saturday and has been tipped to be among several departures.

But, asked if there was still a role for Adam at Ibrox, Smith told Rangers' website: "Of course there is.

"He's been in and out the team, Charlie. Whether he's happy or not with that is another factor."

Smith recently hinted that he expects to shed up to 10 of his squad by next summer and French striker Jean-Claude Darcheville has already agreed a transfer to Valenciennes.

But the Rangers manager still believes Adam can play a part in helping Rangers catch Celtic in the Scottish title race.

"He played in the game on Saturday," he said of a 1-0 defeat by the league leaders that leaves the Ibrox side seven points adrift in second place.

"Unfortunately for us, he was ill. Such was his keenness to play that he didn't mention it.

"There was a little bit of sickness on the pitch in the first half of the game, so I had to take him off at half-time.

"But he can do a job for us. He's done so in the past and can continue to do so as well."

Meanwhile, Rangers are once again sweating over the fitness of Madjid Bougherra going into Sunday's match away to Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

The 26-year-old defender was hoping to demonstrate his recovery from a troublesome thigh strain in Tuesday's friendly with St Johnstone, but he failed to take the field.

"His thigh strain has taken far longer to heal up than we thought it would," said Smith.

"Over the last two two or three weeks, he's made an effort to get fit and hasn't.

"We just have to give it the time and hopefully that time is just about up now."

Lee McCulloch, who has been playing as a makeshift centre-half, was forced off before half-time with a back problem against Saints, but the injury is not thought to be serious.

His future should not even be in doubt- He is a useless football player who should be sold to the first bidder!

The 23-year-old started his first game for a month on Saturday and has been tipped to be among several departures.

But, asked if there was still a role for Adam at Ibrox, Smith told Rangers' website: "Of course there is, those toilets won't clean themselves".

More like it.

pathetic excuse for a footballer. No pace, first touch like an elephant, no fitness, average from set pieces, Passing is awful , concentration is awful. There are better players in the lower leagues. He wouldnt get a game at half the spl sides ffs. Get rid of him asap, hes one i dont actually care if we let free just to get rid of him. What i cant stand about him the most though is that he hasnt improved since that year he scored 14 for us. If anything hes went backwards. People like broadfoot have improved a hell of a lot since they came to the club through effort.( not that i think kirk is a great player) Charlie adam hasnt and that is unacceptable.

How amateurish can Walter Smith get?

"Unfortunately for us, he was ill. Such was his keenness to play that he didn't mention it.

"There was a little bit of sickness on the pitch in the first half of the game, so I had to take him off at half-time.

"But he can do a job for us. He's done so in the past and can continue to do so as well."

You took him off in the 62nd minute. I screamed at the tv for him to be taken off at half time as he was on a tight rope and one misstimed tackle/dissent....and he was off the park, yet you still kept him on for another 17 minutes.