Bougherra out, Berra/Hreidarsson in?

Ibroxblue

Rangers are braced for a January transfer bid from Newcastle United for their central defender Madjid Bougherra. The Algeria international, who moved to Ibrox in a £2million deal from Charlton Athletic in August, has interested Joe Kinnear after a string of impressive displays in the Scottish Premier League.

Bougherra's representatives are understood to have informed Rangers of the interest from Tyneside which should be followed up with a formal offer within the next month.

Rangers will demand at least £3m for the 26-year-old, who has also served Crewe Alexandra and Sheffield Wednesday. He is expected to return from injury for Rangers' visit to Inverness on Sunday.

Walter Smith has made no secret of his desire to trim his squad and, while he would rather it was fringe players who departed Ibrox, Bougherra's value and wage level mean Rangers would find it difficult to reject a serious bid. If Bougherra is sold, Smith would almost certainly move for a direct replacement in £3m-rated Hearts captain Christophe Berra.

Rangers have also been linked with Portsmouth's veteran defender Hermann Hreidarsson, who says he is certain to leave Fratton Park this month. "I want to leave Portsmouth and the club knows my position and I know they will not make it difficult for me to leave," said Hreidarsson.

"I have been in contact with a few clubs and I fully expect to be at another club come the end of this month. Nothing is concrete yet, but hopefully things will get clearer very soon."

Middlesbrough, meanwhile, will send scouting representation to Saturday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle as they consider a £2.5m bid for the 21-year-old Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher. Celtic are also believed to be keen on the Scotland international, who has two full caps, with Hibs likely to hold out for a fee of at least £3m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ja...angers-newcastl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id like to think that if we were to sell Bougherra then Walter already has a player waiting in the wings to replace him convincingly, somehow dont think that would be the case, we'll probably end up worse of than what we are now come the end on the tranfer window.

boogie is going absolutely no where- smith knows that a stable defence is key in the title chase and he is also aware we need to STRENGTHEN it, not weaken it! I can see a defender coming in, whilst possibly dailly departs and webster goes back on loan

Bougherra out, Berra in - yeah that's a great idea doh and Murray better not even think about accepting a bid like £3m!

Hermann Hreidarsson is 35 in July and he can play CB, LB and even in midfield - he's better than Broadfoot, Weir and Papac but at almost 35 we shouldn't be targetting players like this.

if bougherra is sold we'll get the usuall pish from murray and bain he wanted to leave he's got a release clause bougherra is the best defender we have and if we lose him you can never guarantee his replacement will be as good berra is shite and should never be allowed to play for rangers the question i would ask is he any better than webster was and look how crap he has turned out to be

Bougherra out, Berra in - yeah that's a great idea doh and Murray better not even think about accepting a bid like £3m!

Hermann Hreidarsson is 35 in July and he can play CB, LB and even in midfield - he's better than Broadfoot, Weir and Papac but at almost 35 we shouldn't be targetting players like this.

I wouldnt mind Hreidsarsson if he was given a short term contract, he would do fine up here.

My only problem is Walter would sign him on a 3/4 year long contract.

I wouldnt mind Hreidsarsson if he was given a short term contract, he would do fine up here.

My only problem is Walter would sign him on a 3/4 year long contract.

This sort of mindset is worrying! No way on earth should we be starting to rely on players in their mid 30's, on short term contracts becoming the answer at CB. 1st it was Weir, then Dailly, now Hri.....Herid....fuck it, you know who I mean!

I want someone in their mid twenties who can come in and be a rock for at least 4 years! None of this OAP's last pay-cheque, short term deal shite!!!!

boogie is going absolutely no where- smith knows that a stable defence is key in the title chase and he is also aware we need to STRENGTHEN it, not weaken it! I can see a defender coming in, whilst possibly dailly departs and webster goes back on loan

Too bad it's not SMith that decides to sell players, but Murray.