union jacks

majorcager

I thought that was quite clear pal, if you mean, elaborate on why I won't be flying my wee union jack then that is because there's too much Britishness at Ibrox already without this and thats why, without getting too political.

you should be proud to wave the union jack as all people who the union jack represents, fough in the wars together and loads of them died in the trenches together. you should never forget that, nd be proud to be british.

Nonsense. Just because you live on these isles and as allied forces our countries fought together against a foreign dictator means that all of a sudden we shoudl forget that the Act of the Union was an illegal act? And the fact that several of my Jacobite ancestors from Western Scotland died at the hands of the english means that I should welcome the Union for the greater glory of the kingdom? think not chum. either you're too young to know any better, or you dont know your west-coast scottish history well enough. To suggest that we should be happy to wave the "UNION FLAG" (the Union Jack is a Naval flag) is both ignorant and typically condescending.

would you rather it had been scots only that fought the germans during the war.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that was quite clear pal, if you mean, elaborate on why I won't be flying my wee union jack then that is because there's too much Britishness at Ibrox already without this and thats why, without getting too political.

you should be proud to wave the union jack as all people who the union jack represents, fough in the wars together and loads of them died in the trenches together. you should never forget that, nd be proud to be british.

Nonsense. Just because you live on these isles and as allied forces our countries fought together against a foreign dictator means that all of a sudden we shoudl forget that the Act of the Union was an illegal act? And the fact that several of my Jacobite ancestors from Western Scotland died at the hands of the english means that I should welcome the Union for the greater glory of the kingdom? think not chum. either you're too young to know any better, or you dont know your west-coast scottish history well enough. To suggest that we should be happy to wave the "UNION FLAG" (the Union Jack is a Naval flag) is both ignorant and typically condescending.

If we were a seperate nation in 1939 we would still have played our part

If we were a seperate nation in 1939 we would still have played our part

would we have won.

It really saddens me when our own fans find the Union flag offensive. I wouldn't consider myself the most patriotic of fans (either Scottish or British) but I'm proud to see Union flags and Saltires in our support. Both will be present on the night and of course the main aim is to improve the atmosphere ahead of an important European match.

As for the jacobites - well they never flew the saltire but the Lion Rampant (aka the royal standard). And it wasn't just the English who fought against them that day as any historian will know.

I am with Frankie, it saddens me when we cant celebrate what we are.

We are British, like it or not. Yes we may be Scottish first but we are British and I for one am proud of that fact.

Rangers play in red, White and Blue and the union flag is a good representaion of our colours

fly the flag with pride

The act of Union illegal? What nonsense.

And you are also rewriting history by portraying the War of Succession which ended at Culloden (via Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and The Boyne) as a Scotland vs England War. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Jacobites were determined to oppress the entire UK with Absolute Monarchy, otherwise Charlie would have stopped when he controlled all of Scotland.

And as has often been observed by historians, there were probably more Scots fighting against than for the jacos.

I have a lot of simpathy for I D's position, while we are British, I would love to see more Saltires @ Ibrox. :)

Take one then.

I'll have one in Tel Aviv next week.

But never forget that whenever you see the Union Flag you see a Saltire.

Cant believe your statement..." theres too much Britishness at Ibrox " im totally shocked by that, honestly never thought id live to hear that sort of statement coming from a fellow bear....i like to think i respect all opnions on these boards, but theres no respect from me for that crap.....sums up the whole pishy scene at Ibrox these days.....club is losing alot more than ground to the beadrattlers IMO....... <_<

The majority of the "english" soldiers were lowland scots

Act of union - illegal? doh

Il be there swinging my UJ high and proud. This is the best country and Union around and theres no messing with the British. We have to be thankful for what England gave to us in 1707 and upto the modern day. Forget tribalism for a minute.

The guy on the news last night says he wears a kilt to every Rangers game, and doesnt beleive in the Union and wont be flyig his flag. This guy will be in the minority, very small minority.

Cant believe your statement..." theres too much Britishness at Ibrox " im totally shocked by that, honestly never thought id live to hear that sort of statement coming from a fellow bear....i like to think i respect all opnions on these boards, but theres no respect from me for that crap.....sums up the whole pishy scene at Ibrox these days.....club is losing alot more than ground to the beadrattlers IMO....... <_<

All this nationalism, Scottish or British - why can't we just concentrate on the football?

All this nationalism, Scottish or British - why can't we just concentrate on the football?

Its certainly about football....but RFC are held closely by many people globly because of our tradition "Britishness" that a growing number of people seem to be dismissing ... lets not forget RFC would be a rather ordinary FC if we did not have this Britishness. Respect your views ID but as far as im concerned the Britishness is not open to debate.

In fairness to the likes of Ricardo...the Act of Union was not popular with many Scots at the time of its passing....however I would take issue with him that it was actually "illegal"

Many Scots had lost out in the Darien Scheme.. (a disasterous business venture in Panama )...the country was economically bankrupt... and saw the union with England as an opportunity to recover financially.

It took acts such as the passing of legislation securing the Presbyterian establishment of the Church..to curry favour with the Church of Scotland....as well as financial inducements amongst the populace which many looked on as a bribe...hence Burn's poem "Parcel of Rogues"

However the act was ratified on 16th January 1707 by a majority vote of 100 to 69.

I am dissapointed to see so many members who would object to flying the flag of our Union. Fair enough, if you don't want the Union to last then that is you rview and you can express it at the next election. But you should fly it out of respect of all the brave men and women who fought and died over the centuries to protect the values, the shores and the people of this great nation. Be they Scottish or English, Welsh or Irish it didn't matter a jot to them as they were all British and fighting as one.

And to all the brave soldiers who are still fighting and dying this minute overseas to defend this country. Who cares how the Act of Union came about. What should be acknowledged is what came after that. How we all evolved to live together and to become one leading to our ultimate success in the world. I myself, am proud to be British but also glad to live in Scotland. I love both but even if you don't i see no reason why you shouldn't remember the glory and sacrifice of our forefathers.

Be proud to be British and be proud to be Scottish. You don't have to be one or the other.

This is true D S but I wish the English would take their own flag to international matches rather than the Union Flag, they think England IS Britain :rolleyes:

For quite a while now there have been more and more St George's Crosses at England matches.

You used to occasionally see Union Flags at Scotland matches.

I am dissapointed to see so many members who would object to flying the flag of our Union. Fair enough, if you don't want the Union to last then that is you rview and you can express it at the next election. But you should fly it out of respect of all the brave men and women who fought and died over the centuries to protect the values, the shores and the people of this great nation. Be they Scottish or English, Welsh or Irish it didn't matter a jot to them as they were all British and fighting as one.

And to all the brave soldiers who are still fighting and dying this minute overseas to defend this country. Who cares how the Act of Union came about. What should be acknowledged is what came after that. How we all evolved to live together and to become one leading to our ultimate success in the world. I myself, am proud to be British but also glad to live in Scotland. I love both but even if you don't i see no reason why you shouldn't remember the glory and sacrifice of our forefathers.

Be proud to be British and be proud to be Scottish. You don't have to be one or the other.

What a superb sentiment BIC (tu)