union jacks

majorcager

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have absolutely no affinity with the Union flag, so I will not be waving it. I would love to know why a football club takes it upon itself to celebrate a 300 year old political settlement. Will we be flying saltires on the 10th anniversary of the Scottish Parliament?

Quite simply, my view is that Rangers are a football club. They play in a Scottish football league, not a British one. Any footballer born in the vicinity of Ibrox Park would play for Scotland, not Britain. At a football level, Britain does not exist. So why do we persist in flying its flag?

And could some of the Keyboard Kommandoes who have been on sniffing about "our brave boys", tell me what soldiers have to do with this debate? I detect an inference that somehow my position is disrespectful towards the armies who fought against fascism. On the contrary, I have the utmost respect for them - because they fought fascism, not because of any flag. On the other hand, there have been countless atrocities and outrages committed in the name of the union flag. Again, I question the relevance of this addition to the debate.

I have absolutely no affinity with the Union flag, so I will not be waving it. I would love to know why a football club takes it upon itself to celebrate a 300 year old political settlement. Will we be flying saltires on the 10th anniversary of the Scottish Parliament?

Quite simply, my view is that Rangers are a football club. They play in a Scottish football league, not a British one. Any footballer born in the vicinity of Ibrox Park would play for Scotland, not Britain. At a football level, Britain does not exist. So why do we persist in flying its flag?

And could some of the Keyboard Kommandoes who have been on sniffing about "our brave boys", tell me what soldiers have to do with this debate? I detect an inference that somehow my position is disrespectful towards the armies who fought against fascism. On the contrary, I have the utmost respect for them - because they fought fascism, not because of any flag. On the other hand, there have been countless atrocities and outrages committed in the name of the union flag. Again, I question the relevance of this addition to the debate.

Probably in the same way it chose to mark Rememberance Day with a special shirt.

Its these kind of things which make Rangers Football Club special.

I am dissapointed to see so many members who would object to flying the flag of our Union. Fair enough, if you don't want the Union to last then that is you rview and you can express it at the next election. But you should fly it out of respect of all the brave men and women who fought and died over the centuries to protect the values, the shores and the people of this great nation. Be they Scottish or English, Welsh or Irish it didn't matter a jot to them as they were all British and fighting as one.

And to all the brave soldiers who are still fighting and dying this minute overseas to defend this country. Who cares how the Act of Union came about. What should be acknowledged is what came after that. How we all evolved to live together and to become one leading to our ultimate success in the world. I myself, am proud to be British but also glad to live in Scotland. I love both but even if you don't i see no reason why you shouldn't remember the glory and sacrifice of our forefathers.

Be proud to be British and be proud to be Scottish. You don't have to be one or the other.

Excuse me Blue, this is a serious question. What does flying the Union Flag at a football game have to do with the brave men and women who have died in armed conflict? I mean, I agreen we should never forget them, but what does waving a Union Flag at a Rangers game have to do with them?

Truth be told I suspect the man from delmonte pestered them in to it. His persuasive powers are legendary.

If you want to celebrate 10th anniversary of the Scottish Parliament, organise something, don't hink it'll be a big hit though, devolution's hardly been a success.

It's our National Flag, fact is some of us are perfectly happy to be Scottish and British.

sbpbanneruh0.th.jpg

Can't say I've detected that inference. Personally I'm perfectly happy for you to disagree with me, ignore the flag show if you like.

It's that sort of freedom that we're celebrating.

As for atrocities, I would guess every country has things in its past that it regrets (or should), I question the relevance of this to the debate.

What's the story with the moniker by the way?

I am dissapointed to see so many members who would object to flying the flag of our Union. Fair enough, if you don't want the Union to last then that is you rview and you can express it at the next election. But you should fly it out of respect of all the brave men and women who fought and died over the centuries to protect the values, the shores and the people of this great nation. Be they Scottish or English, Welsh or Irish it didn't matter a jot to them as they were all British and fighting as one.

And to all the brave soldiers who are still fighting and dying this minute overseas to defend this country. Who cares how the Act of Union came about. What should be acknowledged is what came after that. How we all evolved to live together and to become one leading to our ultimate success in the world. I myself, am proud to be British but also glad to live in Scotland. I love both but even if you don't i see no reason why you shouldn't remember the glory and sacrifice of our forefathers.

Be proud to be British and be proud to be Scottish. You don't have to be one or the other.

Excuse me Blue, this is a serious question. What does flying the Union Flag at a football game have to do with the brave men and women who have died in armed conflict? I mean, I agreen we should never forget them, but what does waving a Union Flag at a Rangers game have to do with them?

Rangers fans are born, Not manufactured

We do not choose, we are chosen,

Those who don’t understand…don’t matter

Those who understand need no explanation.

If you dont get it now Bauba.....after everything on the BBC thread...quite simply....you never will.

If you dont get it now Bauba.....after everything on the BBC thread...quite simply....you never will.

And I am not alone. it was inferred earlier that if you do not wish to paerticipate in the ceremony then you are not supportive of those who dies fighting for our freedom. Quite frankly, that's nonsense.

Cant it be simple? Rangers can put the cards out there, its there perogative. The fans can choose to participate or not, that is their perogative. Why is there a culture in our country that if someone does not agree with you, they are beneath contempt?

The affore-mentioned deceased died preserving our freedo of choice, can we not continue to exercise it without being criticised for it?

BTW - that born, not manufactured stuff............LOL

The affore-mentioned deceased died preserving our freedo of choice, can we not continue to exercise it without being criticised for it?

Well I'm not criticising you.

But I will be joining in, celebrating your freedom to not join in.

This is interesting as I have been debating the red hand thing that some fans may do abroad and the concerns that are

Surrounding it being mistook for a anzi salute.

Thing is, where does it all stop to worrying about offending others,

I suggested that if someone took it on board, they could perceive the flying of the British flag as offensive

and hey presto. look what's happening.

I think a lot of the fans will welcome the union flag display, but I also think th displays spoil the atmosphere a bit.

Anyway, that's another subject.

If fans do not wish to fly it, then that is their choice.

Well I'm not criticising you.

But I will be joining in, celebrating your freedom to not join in.

Which is fair, as long as the respect goes both ways

Truth be told I suspect the man from delmonte pestered them in to it. His persuasive powers are legendary.

If you want to celebrate 10th anniversary of the Scottish Parliament, organise something, don't hink it'll be a big hit though, devolution's hardly been a success.

It's our National Flag, fact is some of us are perfectly happy to be Scottish and British.

sbpbanneruh0.th.jpg

Can't say I've detected that inference. Personally I'm perfectly happy for you to disagree with me, ignore the flag show if you like.

It's that sort of freedom that we're celebrating.

As for atrocities, I would guess every country has things in its past that it regrets (or should), I question the relevance of this to the debate.

What's the story with the moniker by the way?

Fair does on all scores. I lived in Granada while Julio Baptista was playing up front for Sevilla, and he used to get called "La Bestia de Sevilla". I liked the ring of it!

So basically, you don't have an answer.

Precisely!

we should alaways be proud to fly the union flag imo

Fine, no-one is disputing that - if you are proud to fly it, if you believe in the Union, then go for it. Just dont be judgemental on those who do not believe in the union and refuse to fly it

we should alaways be proud to fly the union flag imo

Fine, no-one is disputing that - if you are proud to fly it, if you believe in the Union, then go for it. Just dont be judgemental on those who do not believe in the union and refuse to fly it

aint judging no one why do you not believe in the union

Precisely!

Given that you have already been erroneous on your comments regarding the flag Bauba...I wouldn't take delight in the comments of others.

Then again humility does not seem to be your forte`

Plenty of answers Grandpa...

There seems little need to repeat the answers provided by the many other posters who have contributed and whom you have chosen to disregard.

Probably best if you leave us Pro-Unionists to celebrate in the manner planned and which has been supported by the club.

In fairness to the likes of Ricardo...the Act of Union was not popular with many Scots at the time of its passing....however I would take issue with him that it was actually "illegal"

Many Scots had lost out in the Darien Scheme.. (a disasterous business venture in Panama )...the country was economically bankrupt... and saw the union with England as an opportunity to recover financially.

It took acts such as the passing of legislation securing the Presbyterian establishment of the Church..to curry favour with the Church of Scotland....as well as financial inducements amongst the populace which many looked on as a bribe...hence Burn's poem "Parcel of Rogues"

However the act was ratified on 16th January 1707 by a majority vote of 100 to 69.

Twice in recent times has the spirit if not the actually legal points of the act have been broken. The Poll Tax was introduced in Scotland 12 months before it was introduced in the rest of the UK a clear breach of the Act of Union. The refusal of the Westminister Government to debate the Iraq war was also another breach in the contract of the Act.

As to the Act not being popular at the time the populace of Scotland was almost completely againest the act only the merchants, Aristocrats and those who had money invested in the Darien scheme were in favor. The COS was bribed by the enshrineing in law it's independance from the COE

Another fact overlooked by many is the simple fact that Scotland was bullied into the Union by England who had blockaded scottish ports refused rights of passage and trade to Scots merchants in England and it's colonies and amassed an army three time the size of Scotlands on the Scottish border. The english also payed Spanish, Dutch and French priveteers to distrupe Scottish trade to the Baltic, Russian and Germanic states

In fairness to the likes of Ricardo...the Act of Union was not popular with many Scots at the time of its passing....however I would take issue with him that it was actually "illegal"

Many Scots had lost out in the Darien Scheme.. (a disasterous business venture in Panama )...the country was economically bankrupt... and saw the union with England as an opportunity to recover financially.

It took acts such as the passing of legislation securing the Presbyterian establishment of the Church..to curry favour with the Church of Scotland....as well as financial inducements amongst the populace which many looked on as a bribe...hence Burn's poem "Parcel of Rogues"

However the act was ratified on 16th January 1707 by a majority vote of 100 to 69.

Twice in recent times has the spirit if not the actually legal points of the act have been broken. The Poll Tax was introduced in Scotland 12 months before it was introduced in the rest of the UK a clear breach of the Act of Union. The refusal of the Westminister Government to debate the Iraq war was also another breach in the contract of the Act.

The Spirit ? Its laid out in Black & White Gus...so its either broken or not.

What has the Labour Party's failure to debate a topic in the House of Commons got to do with breaching the Act of Union ?

The Spirit ? Its laid out in Black & White Gus...so its either broken or not.

What has the Labour Party's failure to debate a topic in the House of Commons got to do with breaching the Act of Union ?

Please Read

That the kingdom of Scotland be not charged with any other duties laid on by the Parliament of England before the union except these consented to in this treaty, in regard it is agreed that all necessary provision shall be made by the Parliament of Scotland for the public charge and service of that kingdom for the year 1707; provided nevertheless that if the Parliament of England shall think fit to lay any further impositions by way of customs, or such excises with which by virtue of this treaty Scotland is to be charged equally with England, in such case Scotland shall be liable to the same customs and excises, and have an equivalent to be settled by the Parliament of Great Britain; with this further provision, that any malt to be made and consumed in that part of the United Kingdom now called Scotland shall not be charged with any imposition on male during this present war. . . .

As far as professional football goes, there is no such thing as "a British club". And we should be very wary of claiming to be "a British club" or the next we know M. Platini and his cohorts will be demanding only one international team from Britain, and the Scottish leagues become leagues 5 and 6 or whatever in a British league.

Sorry i didn't reply. I haven't been on.

On answer to your question i think about why we should fly the Union Flag i will say this. Do you have a problem with any other football club flying the flag of their nation? I don't. We should fly the Union Flag at Ibrox as we have done for over a century because we are proud to live in this country and we want to show it. That is the reason.

And as for what Rangers have to do with the men and women who died for our country i ask you this. Do you not think that on the year we commemorate 300 years of Union that it is only fair that we remember all those who fought to keep it that way? And if we are going to commemorate the Act of Union then we should be doing it in their name and for their sake. After all, if they hadn't given their lives on the battlefield the chances are that we would be under fascist rule and therefore there would be no Rangers. We should be thankful to all those who fought under the same flag that we will fly against Hapoel Te-Aviv and will continue to fly. That is why the Union Flag is important to us. We are proud of our nation and therefore hold the right to show it.

On answer to your question i think about why we should fly the Union Flag i will say this. Do you have a problem with any other football club flying the flag of their nation? I don't. We should fly the Union Flag at Ibrox as we have done for over a century because we are proud to live in this country and we want to show it. That is the reason.

And as for what Rangers have to do with the men and women who died for our country i ask you this. Do you not think that on the year we commemorate 300 years of Union that it is only fair that we remember all those who fought to keep it that way? And if we are going to commemorate the Act of Union then we should be doing it in their name and for their sake. After all, if they hadn't given their lives on the battlefield the chances are that we would be under fascist rule and therefore there would be no Rangers. We should be thankful to all those who fought under the same flag that we will fly against Hapoel Te-Aviv and will continue to fly. That is why the Union Flag is important to us. We are proud of our nation and therefore hold the right to show it.

Hold on The war againest Facism from 1939 to 1945 had nothing to do with the Act of Union. And I remember those who fell in that struggle on the 11th of November For God King and Country mean very little to me but those who died in WW 2 were not fighting for those ideals or the Union they were fighting againest one of the most evil regimes in history they were fighting for democracy not the Bloody Act of Union.

We are thankful, and we rememeber and commemorate the fallen every day - but if John Smith is a patriotic Scot, doesnt believe in the union and so refuses to fly his flag, that doesnt mean he is pooping on the memory of the fallen. This is supposed to be a celebration of the Union, which is a political statement in itself, if it is left at that and the individuals have their own freedom of choice whether to participate or not, then I am fine with that.

I just wish we would stay out of politics, religion, and all the other malarky and get back to football.