Jim Traynor on Ferguson

Craigy

NEWCASTLE want Barry Ferguson.

Christmas has come late to Ibrox.

Word that the Premiership side are interested in buying Ferguson has to be the best piece of news Rangers have heard since Paul Le Guen told them the blood and snotters of the Scottish game wasn't for him.

Old Joe Kinnear has been telling everyone he wants to sign the Rangers captain and although the Ibrox hierarchy haven't been contacted yet, surely they must be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

If they're smart they'll get on the blower to Newcastle right away and secure a nice, fat cheque in return for Ferguson, a player whose popularity continues to outstrip his ability.

If Ferguson does indeed have magical powers then he uses them only to dupe the masses into believing he is a player of extraordinary ability when, in fact, he's too often little better than mediocre.

But a myth has been allowed to grow around this player and anyone who chooses to stand apart and look at his contributions with a critical eye is immediately branded an idiot who has no knowledge or appreciation of the game's intricacies.

"You're talking through your a***, mate.

Barry Ferguson, Baz, Bazza, Fergie? Great player. One of the best ever. Rangers would be nothing without him and the same goes for Scotland."

Actually, it is legitimate to ask if the opposite might be true for that club and our national team but somehow Ferguson has been moved in to a position where he cannot lose.

He has become great and almost heroic without ever having to prove any of it is true.

When Rangers struggle to win it is never his fault and yet he is meant to have skills beyond the ordinary.And he is the captain.

Also,when Scotland fail it is never his fault.

And yes,he is the national team captain,too.

It's a surprise the law hasn't been changed to make it an offence to criticise Ferguson because he has so many fawning followers out there, especially in the papers. Even former footballers, who really ought to know better, talk him up.

The same thing happened with Paul McStay. He was another player who had greatness bestowed upon him without the need to earn it.

So now we are all supposed to accept Ferguson is a wondrous talent even though he wouldn't make it into a Rangers' best 11.

And he certainly wouldn't be up there as one of the club's greatest skippers.

Ferguson has no idea how to lead a team.

He's too busy concentrating on himself and on how he is performing to help those around him.

All those who think he is a star need to ask themselves how often their hero stepped forward to show the way when Rangers were under pressure. Rarely is the answer and he hardly ever intimidates opposing midfield players.

The truth could be that he isn't brave enough and for evidence just think back to the last Old Firm match squeezed in between Christmas and the New Year.

Celtic's Scott Brown, Paul Hartley and Barry Robson did exactly what Ferguson fails to do.

Through their own energy, desire and courage they dragged their team-mates to victory but it is blindingly obvious Ferguson doesn't possess the skills or the mentality to be a genuine great of the game. Frankly it's hysterical that so many fans are in awe of him.

No doubt they'll be calling on Rangers to reject any offers but that would be extreme folly. If Kinnear is daft enough to want Ferguson then Rangers should do business as quickly as possible and get rid of him.

He wouldn't be such a big miss and other players such as Pedro Mendes and Steve Davis might even flourish because Ferguson's presence in a team seems to have the effect of subduing those around him. It's as though even they are in awe and feel they should operate in his shadow.

The same thing happens when he plays for Scotland and although it could be argued the likes of Mendes, Davis, Brown and Darren Fletcher should be confident and good enough to get on with business no matter who is in their teams, it might be time to see Ferguson for what he really is.

He can be exceptional but is just as frequently average and a sense of reality needs to be applied when talking about Ferguson, who might even have come to believe he is more important than anyone else at Ibrox.

The stand-off with Le Guen,who was never fooled by Ferguson and stripped him of the captaincy,added to the myth because the player survived while the manager had to leave but the Frenchman got it right.

He believed Ferguson's influence might not be in the club's best interests and it would be surprising if others at Ibrox have not yet come to believe the same thing.

Ferguson is not one of those players who can't be sold off. He isn't a Paul Scholes or a Steven Gerrard. Right now he isn't even a Scott Brown. Kinnear and Newcastle could be about to do Rangers a massive favour and if an offer is made David Murray should take it. Hard as it might be for many of their fans to accept, the club wouldn't fall apart without this one ordinary individual.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traynor constantly contradicts himself when talking about Fergie.

Even in that article he says he doesnt have the talent then later says Fergie can be exceptional.

I would never say Fergie was a world better but he is a good player who has many times in the past, dragged us through games when carrying surgery worthy injuries. He does have his weaknesses but all in all i'd like to keep hold of him.

Some amount of bumming up Broonaldo in that piece as well, stuff about fergie is true sadly, stuff about Broonaldo is pish.

As much as I hate to say it Brown is beginning to look like the player we all thought he had the potential to be. The last 4 months he has been their best player. I am sure someone posted on here that someone in his family died just after he signed for them, that's why he was pish for the first year.

I agree with the point that Ferguson is having an adverse effect on Mendes and Davis. The football we were playing in the first quarter of the season with Thomson holding was some of the best since Advocaat. Yesterday Ferguson flighted a cross in, no pace on it and right into the keepers arms. He was running back and he started shouting at Boyd as if it was his fault, Boyd then had a pop back for the shitey cross. Is that a captain?

Traynor has always hated Ferguson for some reason. Even pre-Blackburn. Criticising Ferguson for some people is a valid opinion based on genuine beliefs. For Traynor, it's just a long standing witch hunt so I'm not going to waste my time reading the same tired rant from him.

Think that article is massively over-critiical!!! He is still a good player, just not a great player anymore!!!

I'd agree with that (tu)

I won't be disappointed if he leaves just aslong as we get a good offer for him.

Spot on. The only thing he doesn't address is the fact that Ferguson would be unlikely to accept any offer from another club even if the rumours do come to fruition. He may not be the sharpest pencil in the box but I'm sure knows which side his bread is buttered.

I think Traynor is a prick...........but i can't argue with this.

Ferguson was never anything more than a very good player at his peak,i'm afraid that peak has gone and for the good of Rangers he should go.

Ma Baw ruins the rest of the midfield.With Thommo out i'd have davis and Pedro in there with Edu and Fleck as back up until Thommo is back next season.....

Broon is starting to look the player we wanted,hope he fucks off to Pompey

But a myth has been allowed to grow around this player and anyone who chooses to stand apart and look at his contributions with a critical eye is immediately branded an idiot who has no knowledge or appreciation of the game's intricacies.

Barry Ferguson, Baz, Bazza, Fergie? Great player. One of the best ever. Rangers would be nothing without him and the same goes for Scotland."

At last, we've found a journalist who doesn't read RM! :lol:

He's right about Ferguson, if we get a Premiership money offer for him we should accept straight away. Whether he goes or not is another matter...

A £2 mil plus bid for a 30 year old in a position we have cover for is good business and should be considered seriously, however some of the criticism Ferguson is getting on this thread is unfair. His form has been poor since returning from injury but so has Mendes and Davis form yet I rarely read criticism of them. Some equate these happenings despite their being no evidence, we lost to both Kaunus and St Mirren without Ferguson in the team and drew at Pittodrie as well as struggling against both Motherwell and Kilmarnock at home. Why would selling Ferguson improve this? I’m not some one-eyed Barry lover, far from it, however to suggest he hasn’t given a lot to our club over the years is disingenuous, his star might well be on the wane but properly managed he is still the best player in our squad.

He has been a bit harsh, he only needs to look at the forums to see that Bazza has never been idolised by 100% of the fans, even in his peak. Fergusons problem is he never developed from the player that broke into the side, in fact his impact has lessened over the years. When was the last time he ran with the ball, into the heart of the oppositions half? Or even played his one time trademark defence splitting pass? Bazza is on an ego trip just now, just as Roy Keane had at Celtic. His greatest of fans are blinkered by what he is 'producing' now and are living in the hope that he will regain that form of his season pre-Blackburn. His time is up at Ibrox, and now we await someone to grow some knackers to tell him that, only then will we be able to move on.

NEWCASTLE want Barry Ferguson.

Christmas has come late to Ibrox.

Word that the Premiership side are interested in buying Ferguson has to be the best piece of news Rangers have heard since Paul Le Guen told them the blood and snotters of the Scottish game wasn't for him.

Old Joe Kinnear has been telling everyone he wants to sign the Rangers captain and although the Ibrox hierarchy haven't been contacted yet, surely they must be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

If they're smart they'll get on the blower to Newcastle right away and secure a nice, fat cheque in return for Ferguson, a player whose popularity continues to outstrip his ability.

If Ferguson does indeed have magical powers then he uses them only to dupe the masses into believing he is a player of extraordinary ability when, in fact, he's too often little better than mediocre.

Actually, it is legitimate to ask if the opposite might be true for that club and our national team but somehow Ferguson has been moved in to a position where he cannot lose.

He has become great and almost heroic without ever having to prove any of it is true.

When Rangers struggle to win it is never his fault and yet he is meant to have skills beyond the ordinary.And he is the captain.

Also,when Scotland fail it is never his fault.

And yes,he is the national team captain,too.

It's a surprise the law hasn't been changed to make it an offence to criticise Ferguson because he has so many fawning followers out there, especially in the papers. Even former footballers, who really ought to know better, talk him up.

The same thing happened with Paul McStay. He was another player who had greatness bestowed upon him without the need to earn it.

So now we are all supposed to accept Ferguson is a wondrous talent even though he wouldn't make it into a Rangers' best 11.

And he certainly wouldn't be up there as one of the club's greatest skippers.

Ferguson has no idea how to lead a team.

He's too busy concentrating on himself and on how he is performing to help those around him.

All those who think he is a star need to ask themselves how often their hero stepped forward to show the way when Rangers were under pressure. Rarely is the answer and he hardly ever intimidates opposing midfield players.

The truth could be that he isn't brave enough and for evidence just think back to the last Old Firm match squeezed in between Christmas and the New Year.

Celtic's Scott Brown, Paul Hartley and Barry Robson did exactly what Ferguson fails to do.

Through their own energy, desire and courage they dragged their team-mates to victory but it is blindingly obvious Ferguson doesn't possess the skills or the mentality to be a genuine great of the game. Frankly it's hysterical that so many fans are in awe of him.

No doubt they'll be calling on Rangers to reject any offers but that would be extreme folly. If Kinnear is daft enough to want Ferguson then Rangers should do business as quickly as possible and get rid of him.

He wouldn't be such a big miss and other players such as Pedro Mendes and Steve Davis might even flourish because Ferguson's presence in a team seems to have the effect of subduing those around him. It's as though even they are in awe and feel they should operate in his shadow.

The same thing happens when he plays for Scotland and although it could be argued the likes of Mendes, Davis, Brown and Darren Fletcher should be confident and good enough to get on with business no matter who is in their teams, it might be time to see Ferguson for what he really is.

He can be exceptional but is just as frequently average and a sense of reality needs to be applied when talking about Ferguson, who might even have come to believe he is more important than anyone else at Ibrox.

The stand-off with Le Guen,who was never fooled by Ferguson and stripped him of the captaincy,added to the myth because the player survived while the manager had to leave but the Frenchman got it right.

He believed Ferguson's influence might not be in the club's best interests and it would be surprising if others at Ibrox have not yet come to believe the same thing.

Ferguson is not one of those players who can't be sold off. He isn't a Paul Scholes or a Steven Gerrard. Right now he isn't even a Scott Brown. Kinnear and Newcastle could be about to do Rangers a massive favour and if an offer is made David Murray should take it. Hard as it might be for many of their fans to accept, the club wouldn't fall apart without this one ordinary individual.

100% spot on (tu)

Rubbish... The bit about Scott Brown, Hartley and Robson made me stop reading... These are three players whom are constantly hyped up by the mhedia... yet consistently under perform... yes Ferguson has not been at his best and yes he may not be the great player everyone says he is but mark my words he is a class above these three stooges!

How can any Rangers fan say this article is spot on?????

Very short memories indeed.

Ferguson in the past has been sensational for Rangers for a number of years, both excelling in Dick's early great team as a youngster then captaining and not far of single handedly winning the league for us in mcleish's very average team along with de boer, cruising to player of the year.

I totally agree he has been struggling since his injury, but few players can hit form straight away having had a long term absence as well as missing pre season. He is getting better and with time will hopefully regain some of his prior exellence.

In terms of Traynor saying noone dares be critical of Barry is utter nonsence, when prob more than half of Ibrox slate him every week. You would almost think they were wishing him to under perform to say " I told you he was past it".

Even if he never rediscover top form which i doubt very much, he is without doubt a Rangers great. I challenge anyone to name 5 better players in the last 15 years to play for us.

Gazza, Laudrup and possibly De Boer and thats all I can think off.

Some amount of bumming up Broonaldo in that piece as well, stuff about fergie is true sadly, stuff about Broonaldo is pish.

As much as I hate to say it Brown is beginning to look like the player we all thought he had the potential to be. The last 4 months he has been their best player. I am sure someone posted on here that someone in his family died just after he signed for them, that's why he was pish for the first year.

I agree with the point that Ferguson is having an adverse effect on Mendes and Davis. The football we were playing in the first quarter of the season with Thomson holding was some of the best since Advocaat. Yesterday Ferguson flighted a cross in, no pace on it and right into the keepers arms. He was running back and he started shouting at Boyd as if it was his fault, Boyd then had a pop back for the shitey cross. Is that a captain?

scott brown was actually terrible in the last of game, his passing was at times shocking. basically he ran around barging people and then afterwards for some reason the no knowledge scottish media led by cretins like keith jackson got it into their heads he had a blinder. i for one am delighted we got thommo instead of him - much better football brain and composure on the ball.

Yes but what evidence is there that he is hindering anything?

The fact he hasn't been as good as he can be still leaves him better than almost everyone else in the league.

Yes but what evidence is there that he is hindering anything?

The fact he hasn't been as good as he can be still leaves him better than almost everyone else in the league.

It really doesn't.

He's not so much been 'not as good' as downright dreadful.

Ferguson was completely anonymous yesterday, ditto the OF game.

The problem we have is because he's 'Rangers' Barry Ferguson' is that he MUST be better than midfielders at St Mirren, Hibs, Falkirk etc.

And yet it's all the opposition midfielders who we as fans bitch at getting the better of our midfield in such games. And only Mendes often comes away with credit for anything.

Just because he's Barry Ferguson and plays for Rangers doesn't make him any better than a St Mirren midfielder if he is not actually PLAYING better than said midfielder. For St Mirren or anyone else.

It's what you do on the pitch now which counts, not what you did 5+ years ago.

That's a common held belief I'm just not sure it is accurate and I'm far from convinced we have adequate cover to play his position. Hearts at tynecastle played better than us and bullied us in midfield, something I don't think would have happened too Ferguson 5 years ago but beyond that the problem with our midfield has been the insistence on playing players in it who are out of position, that isn't Fergoson's fault.

The team played badly against Celtc but it is Ferguson who takes most of the criticism (by the way who played Boyd through for his 1-on-1 with Boruc?). He played OK yesterday, not brilliantly and not as well as he can but OK. I think Ferguson is judged by harder standards than others particularly Mendes and Davis who were also poor in the OF game in particular.