Jim Traynor on Ferguson

Craigy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but what evidence is there that he is hindering anything?

The fact he hasn't been as good as he can be still leaves him better than almost everyone else in the league.

Please tell me what Ferguson what brings to the present Rangers team, I think I'm not alone thinking that his time is definietly up. After all he is captain and should be doing more than just a basic midfield job, leading by example for instance.

How can any Rangers fan say this article is spot on?????

Very short memories indeed.

Ferguson in the past has been sensational for Rangers for a number of years, both excelling in Dick's early great team as a youngster then captaining and not far of single handedly winning the league for us in mcleish's very average team along with de boer, cruising to player of the year.

I totally agree he has been struggling since his injury, but few players can hit form straight away having had a long term absence as well as missing pre season. He is getting better and with time will hopefully regain some of his prior exellence.

In terms of Traynor saying noone dares be critical of Barry is utter nonsence, when prob more than half of Ibrox slate him every week. You would almost think they were wishing him to under perform to say " I told you he was past it".

Even if he never rediscover top form which i doubt very much, he is without doubt a Rangers great. I challenge anyone to name 5 better players in the last 15 years to play for us.

Gazza, Laudrup and possibly De Boer and thats all I can think off.

Prso, Numan, Van Bronckhorst, Gough and McCoist? You did say 15 years.

Whilst I fullly accept that Barry was exceptional, the glimpses of that form have been fleeting since he returned from Blackburn. That may have something to do with not having a De Boer to find his runs, but overall, he just hasn't been the same and with the other central midfield options at our disposal, I suspect Mendes and Davis would be a better pairing, although they may be considered by some, wrongly in my view, to be too "lightweight" as an SPL duo.

Ferguson was outstanding in Europe just last season, at that top level his footballing brain and ability leave most of our squad behind

As for all the fantastics tims, bullshit

I saw the fantastic Robsons backpass against United in a game where the vastly superior midfield collapsed and should have lost , as for Hartley doh

While id be happy to see Davis or Edu through the middle, I want Ferguson to stay in and around the team

The fact he hasn't been as good as he can be still leaves him better than almost everyone else in the league.

Please tell me what Ferguson what brings to the present Rangers team, I think I'm not alone thinking that his time is definietly up. After all he is captain and should be doing more than just a basic midfield job, leading by example for instance.

Well experience for one which is something that shouldn’t be underestimated, he also dictates the tempo of Rangers play, he is a natural centre midfielder, he rarely gives away fouls or bookings, he never gives away possession he has a range of passing that few in our game can equal and the ability to hold the ball up or release it early. I mean I assume your point is that you don’t feel he is playing well just now, I agree, I just think too much is made of this, ignoring others who are equally culpable. Mendes has become a sacred cow this despite some very lacklustre performances recently. Ferguson isn’t playing as well as he can, that doesn’t mean he is playing as badly as some think he is and it certainly doesn’t merit the kind of criticism he is getting on this thread.

The evidence is on the park.

Ferguson playing at his best is one of the finest midfielders in Britain. However bar a few performances he's not been producing since the McLeish era. At the moment he is, in many fans eyes, not part of our strongest XI, yet will always be one of the first names on the team sheet. Indeed many believe Ferguson to be only the 4th or even 5th best central midfielder in our current squad. Certainly from evidence over the past 12mths, I'd be inclined to agree that Davis, Thomson and Mendes have all been better performers than Ferguson.

You're harsh on Ferguson, what is he doing wrong just now for you?

I've seen little of Davis at central midfield to judge him there, Thomson is out long term so the point is moot but I'd question his influence week in week out and Mendes is clearly the most gifted player at the club, a player capable of exquisite football but he is not producing enough every week, yet, he could do more I think. Beyond that Hemdani seems finished, Edu it appears isn't ready, Adam is untried in that position but he hasn't looked consistent enough to claim a place for me. I mean if a better player is available and can join the club then fair enough but until then we'd be wrong to drop him in my opinion.

This isn't the way Rangers fans should be talking about the club captain. Ferguson needs to either buck up.. which wont happen or do what is right for the club and leave. He'd get more respect as a player this way.

Hopefully we go on to win the league and that way he can leave with his head held high but if we lose again he's only goin to make matters worse for himself.

I've never been a fan of him and his time out injured showed we are a better team without him, now we only seem to perform as well as he does...

Id rather see a 4-3-3 with Lafferty up front. Even if it was for a couple of weeks against Hamilton and such like.

He led the team to 3 finals last season. A would rather keep ferguson than sell him

Ferguson might have held the armband, but he certainly didn't 'lead' us in any of the mentioned finals.

In both domestic cup finals, particulalry the one against Dundeee Utd, we were struggling and we needed somebody to stand up and be counted.

Most people would look to their captain to drag them through the gutter and out the other end and sadly Ferguson didn't do that, whereas Boyd, despite all my criticism of him, did.

And in between those games we have the UEFA Cup final.

The Ferguson vs Tymoschuk battle was absolutely key as both players are their club captains and they are similar in the sense that they are two players who their respective teams rely on to set the tempo of any game they play in.

Sadly it's got to the stage now where Ferguson doesn't embrace just what an important item the captains armband is.

Infact the cynical side of my thinks that Ferguson now hides behind the armband as it gauarantees his place in the side and highlights his position as the 'top dog' at Ibrox.

Traynor is a prick and his column is always a load of pish and this one is no exception.

(tu) and, most people normally come out with that type of reply to them, however, Ferguson or Smith, at the moment, and, everyone goes, "yeah thats right"

tragic! wonder what would have happened if Spiers had written that?

If that faggot thinks the celtic midfield are better than ferguson he should be shot, ferguson is on the road out but he is sure as shit not inferior to fucking hartley

Sorry bud but the last OF game showed that they ARE better - they won the game for Septic and winning games is what matters

I certainly wouldn't say that any of the unwashed 3 that Traynor mentioned are better than Ferguson, but he certainly needs to raise his game by a considerable degree.

The way he's been playing lately is but a shadow of what he can do!!

One final point, if it is indeed Ferguson that dictates how our midfield/team play, is that why it's so painfully slow lately?

Let's just say that Traynor, an erswipe of the first caliber, wants to do more than stir the shit to sell his bog roll newspaper, let's just say that he would go to the opening of an envelope, sell his grannie, and crawl over Tommy sheridan to get on tv, let's just imagine the flabby, useless, cheese humping pundit has no agenda other than to state the bald facts, there's always a first time, but how can he aim and fire at any player who is coming back from an injury? He can't. He shouldn't and no-one on here should give the stunted wee ferret felcher the time of day.

Fergie has earned the right to a fair chance to come on to his game, if he doesn't get his form back then he should be treated like any other player. For now I expect every true Rangers supporter to get behind their players and ignore the likes of Traynor.

If that faggot thinks the celtic midfield are better than ferguson he should be shot, ferguson is on the road out but he is sure as shit not inferior to fucking hartley

Sorry bud but the last OF game showed that they ARE better - they won the game for Septic and winning games is what matters

Did it show they were better in August...do we judge players on the one game...

Brown will never be half the player Ferguson was/is.......

The Celtic midfield were not in the game until they scored, then their pressing game that they do excel at took over and we had no idea how to break it down. Fergie does need to buck his ideas up and stop slowing the game down, far too many times do forward moves get halted at Fergie.