Spurs sign Jermaine Defoe

Muff

Jermaine Defoe to be paraded before the Carling Cup match against Burnley tonight - £15m is the supposed fee - Sky Sports News.

Stephen Appiah also training with Spurs.

Jermaine Defoe to be paraded before the Carling Cup match against Burnley tonight - £15m is the supposed fee - Sky Sports News.

I like Appiah. Got a bit to prove after Fenerbache but was a good solid player while in Italy

Think he would be a great signing for Spurs - yes he's had his troubles and his injuries but he's still only 27?, on a free and is a great footballer. Would certainly add that bit of steel and quality in the midfield that Redknapp is looking for.

Think he would be a great signing for Spurs - yes he's had his troubles and his injuries but he's still only 27?, on a free and is a great footballer. Would certainly add that bit of steel and quality in the midfield that Redknapp is looking for.

(tu)

I'm interested to hear Spurs fan's reaction to him coming back. And I think it's quite funny that Harry has cost Spurs an extra £7M or so to get a player back that left not even a year ago. I think he'll do well at Spurs this time, he's a cracking player.

As is Appiah (tu).

I'm surprised that Appiah is training at Spurs, i thought he was a stick on to sign for DC United.

Decent to good player who's career has been plagued with injuries. He's a total dickhead of a man, mind you.

In my last deal or no deal, I spoke of my disbelief that Manchester City had paid £12 million for a substitute left back (Wayne Bridge), so many of you won't be surprised to find out that today's joke, is on Tottenham Hotspur.

Just one year ago, a restless Jermain Defoe was sold to Portsmouth by Spurs for just £7.5 million.

Today, it looks like Tottenham have re-signed the England international for twice the amount they sold him.

£15 million.

Not good business in anyones books.

Defoe has had a great year at the south coast club, scoring 14 goals in 30 Barclays Premier League games. However, the striker has recently been overshadowed by strike partner Peter Crouch and was recently dropped for his clubs game against Arsenal.

It is therefore Portsmouth's turn to laugh all the way to the bank. Their £7.5 million investment has come up trumps and to receive double your money for a want away player is almost unheard of.

The 32 time capped, 26 year old still has lots to offer and I myself have previously written of my admiration for him but that is three clubs he has now fallen out with and this will be the third time he plays under Harry Redknapp, for a third different club.

Spells at West Ham United, Portsmouth and now a likely return to Spurs under Redknapp have resulted in productive times for Defoe's employers but if Harry moves on, do we expect yet another tantrum from a player developing quite a reputation?

I expect the fans at White Hart Lane will also be split right down the middle on this issue but a truly gifted footballer and a manager who knows how to get the best out of him can only be good news for the London Club.

At least for now.

Now if I was Portsmouth...

A player under performing, not getting on with his boss and obviously keen for move away from the south coast.

An offer double what Portsmouth played for him...Deal or no deal?

Easy, deal Mr Banker and I'd have sold him for less.

I think Defoe is a good player, but this is just more evidence to show how much of a joke transfers in the EPL are. Spurs seem to be more and more desperate these days. How he's gone from £7.5m to £15m within a year beats me.

In my last deal or no deal, I spoke of my disbelief that Manchester City had paid £12 million for a substitute left back (Wayne Bridge), so many of you won't be surprised to find out that today's joke, is on Tottenham Hotspur.

Just one year ago, a restless Jermain Defoe was sold to Portsmouth by Spurs for just £7.5 million.

Today, it looks like Tottenham have re-signed the England international for twice the amount they sold him.

£15 million.

Not good business in anyones books.

Defoe has had a great year at the south coast club, scoring 14 goals in 30 Barclays Premier League games. However, the striker has recently been overshadowed by strike partner Peter Crouch and was recently dropped for his clubs game against Arsenal.

It is therefore Portsmouth's turn to laugh all the way to the bank. Their £7.5 million investment has come up trumps and to receive double your money for a want away player is almost unheard of.

The 32 time capped, 26 year old still has lots to offer and I myself have previously written of my admiration for him but that is three clubs he has now fallen out with and this will be the third time he plays under Harry Redknapp, for a third different club.

Spells at West Ham United, Portsmouth and now a likely return to Spurs under Redknapp have resulted in productive times for Defoe's employers but if Harry moves on, do we expect yet another tantrum from a player developing quite a reputation?

I expect the fans at White Hart Lane will also be split right down the middle on this issue but a truly gifted footballer and a manager who knows how to get the best out of him can only be good news for the London Club.

At least for now.

Now if I was Portsmouth...

A player under performing, not getting on with his boss and obviously keen for move away from the south coast.

An offer double what Portsmouth played for him...Deal or no deal?

Easy, deal Mr Banker and I'd have sold him for less.

i think spurs were crazy to sell defoe in the first place. I think he is a very good player. I cant believe appiah has been a free agent for so long. He is a quality player, i thought he would have been snapped up months ago. If only we could afford his wages..

£15 million that's crazy <cr>

With Appiah training that should put these so called rumours about Mendes and Spurs to bed (tu)

tbh it's a good signing for Spurs who should never have got rid of him.

Defoe is has been doing his thing for years, and rather convincingly at that - Jol then Ramos seemed to want to use him sporadically, always preferring Keane and Berbatov up front, and who could blame them.

But Defoe is clearly a very good player, a consistent one who will always get goals.

tbh it's just very unfortunate that Ramos was happy to let him go while he had yer Berbs and Keanos instead, and of course then those 2 bugger off and 'Arry justifiably wants Defoe back.

Worth 15M? By English overinflated prices yes. If Middlesbrough want the same for Downing, then I guess you can get away with 15 for Defoe.

Bent was 18M wasn't he?

Bent - £16.5m

Pavluychenko - £14m

Keane - £20m

If Berbatov is worth the £30m Manchester United paid for him, Robbie Keane, £20m and Middlesborough rate Stewart Downing at £15m, then Jermain Defoe is worth every penny!

Surprised he hasn't been snapped up tbh! A long long time for a good player to be without a club

defoe is quality although 15million for a player similar to bent, pavlyechenko n campbell is a waste of money, they need an arshavin type player to play of a bent type player.

Appiah is an excellnet signing as he has the presence and drive they've been lacking and would fit nicely in beside modric. At least hopefully this means mendes wont be leaving

tbh it's a good signing for Spurs who should never have got rid of him.

Defoe is has been doing his thing for years, and rather convincingly at that - Jol then Ramos seemed to want to use him sporadically, always preferring Keane and Berbatov up front, and who could blame them.

But Defoe is clearly a very good player, a consistent one who will always get goals.

tbh it's just very unfortunate that Ramos was happy to let him go while he had yer Berbs and Keanos instead, and of course then those 2 bugger off and 'Arry justifiably wants Defoe back.

Worth 15M? By English overinflated prices yes. If Middlesbrough want the same for Downing, then I guess you can get away with 15 for Defoe.

Bent was 18M wasn't he?

I agree they should never have sold him,

However looking at the situation they were in he was never going to break up Keane and Berbatov plus they had just signed Bent, Defoe wanted to move it was in the best interest of all parties...

Now typical Spurs have had to fork out again and have been left worse off for it!