How did Smith become so bad over a 4 month period?

Gazzza

Exactly. We've had a load of pish spouted about Boyd and the bank's alleged demands. Selling a non essential player, no matter what some say, is not a sign of defeat, surrender or bankruptcy.

The allegations are clearly wrong. Selling Boyd makes tactical and financial sense. There's nothing more to it.

I admire your support of the manager, I have tried very hard to remain supportive of Smith and frankly was doing ok until we find ourselves in a position that we are forced to sell a first team player for a relatively small amount, . I lay the blame for that situation firmly with Smith. He overspent in the summer on too many players that have been cooling their heels on the bench, he spent too much on players that were not going to help us through the Kaunas game and he then subsequently made better purchases but at a juncture that was too late. All of that could be forgiveable if we did not find ourselves in the current situation i.e. 5 points behind, forced to sell first choice players, and with utter dross in the squad weighing down the wage bill. ( Ir efer to Adam, McCulloch, Whittaker, Burke, Dailly, Webster, ) Hemdani is a good player who I feel has been treated unfairly ala Klos)

Smith has made a few gambles since coming back and while many were concerned about them individually it was never going to be an issue until the gamble didn't pay off. Well those gambles are not paying off. Some argue that the gamble of selling Hutton led to us losing the league, gambling that we could sneak a break away goal in the UEFA cup final didn't pay off, the gamble of not rotating a tiring team toward the end of a long season didn't pay off, the gamble of buying strikers in time for a Euro qualifier for which were desperately short of midfielders didn't pay off, how many more gambles do we blindly trust in the hope that it will eventually work out???

For me the debate about Boyd has become dull and endless, but ignoring the individual in question, are you confident that the Gamble of selling our top scorer half way through the season will be worth it? I for one am not. Failure to win THIS year could be a hammer blow to our finances and will certainly increase the financial gap between ourselves and Celtic. Will that gap ever be closed? I am very very worried

Are you really suggesting that Smith felt no pressure from fans to play more aesthetically pleasing football?

About as much as the almost universal disapproval of his intention to sign Miller. Walter Smith has not,does not and will not change his mindset because of pressure from supporters or through the media.

About as much as the almost universal disapproval of his intention to sign Miller. Walter Smith has not,does not and will not change his mindset because of pressure from supporters or through the media.

I would agree but after the filth got beaten by motherwell last season we played Utd. The next day, we ended up drawing and Walter changed his formation from 4-5-1- to 4-4-2 after weeks of ridiculous press and moaning from our own fans about our style of play.

Was it tactical or did he feel forced into it, I hope it was a tactical decision but whatever it was it was the day the league turned for me as a win would have totally finished them