Berra good enough to play in Serie A

Amac9

Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo says his captain Christophe Berra is good enough to play in Italy's Serie A.

Berra has been linked with a move away from Tynecastle to England, but Laszlo says that the Italian league would suit his style of play much better.

"He is a very talented player and it is enough to play in the national team," said Laszlo.

"He is the one player, tactically, who learns quickly, but for me, he could play in Italy, from his knowledge."

Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov has encouraged speculation about a January exodus from the Edinburgh club by saying that Hearts might have to sell some players in the January transfer window.

Berra is among the club's main assets and has admitted that he has ambitious to play for a bigger club.

"He could play in the Bundesliga or in Italy," said Laszlo, whose side suffered a 1-0 defeat by Motherwell on Wednesday evening.

"When I came here, he was the most sceptical player I saw in my life. I told him what he must do, but he didn't believe me - but he learned so quickly."

Laszlo was also quick to dismiss the suggestion that Hearts would not obtain the third-place slot in the Scottish Premier League if he does not sign a striker in the January transfer window.

"I think we must do something with the players he have, for example Calum Elliot, who was very unhappy at Tynecastle, and Christian Nade who is back now."

Elliot has returned to Tynecastle after a spell on loan to Livingston in Division One, while Nade has returned to the Hearts first-team following injury.

doh