Pedro Mendes tell Rangers he's happy to stay at Ibrox

Pedro Mendes has told Rangers to forget cashing in on him during the January sales - as he targets more silverware to go with last season's FA Cup triumph with Portsmouth.

The Ibrox club, stunned by the collapse of Kris Boyd's projected £3.8million sale to Birmingham City, were left reeling again yesterday as Alan Gow returned from a failed medical at Wolves because of a hip-muscle injury.

Rangers chairman Sir David Murray desperately needs a major sale to balance the books, with fans wondering which star asset will leave Walter Smith's team.

But Sportsmail can reveal that Mendes spoke to his London-based agents First Artists on Thursday, immediately after learning that Boyd's move to Alex McLeish's Birmingham had collapsed. And he advised them he was very happy to remain in Glasgow, with his lucrative contract running to 2011 - despite being linked with Joe Kinnear's Newcastle, as well as former clubs Tottenham and Portsmouth.

Ibrox fans will be delighted the midfielder has moved to make sure he does not receive a tap on the shoulder and yesterday Mendes said: 'I want to go on my summer holidays with medals in the luggage.

'I won the FA Cup at Wembley last May with Portsmouth and it was a fantastic experience. Hopefully, I can do it again with Rangers.'

The Portuguese international, one of Rangers' top earners, has confided to friends that he has no immediate ambition to return to the English Premier League, having settled quickly in Glasgow. He has scored three brilliant goals for Rangers, which have helped make him an instant favourite with the Ibrox supporters.

Mendes turns 30 next month and the £3m arrival from Pompey in August told the club website yesterday:

'When you come to Rangers, you are looking and expecting to win trophies and I am no different from any other player in that respect.

'It is only good for your career, good for the club and good for all the Rangers fans. There is a long way to go in three competitions, but I am confident.'

Meanwhile, Smith's side head for First Division St Johnstone on Tuesday night for BBC Scotland's live Scottish Cup fourth-round tie - with Kris Boyd likely to be in the starting line-up.

Scroll down for more

Boyd

Staying put: Striker Kris Boyd is expected to play for the Gers after his move to Birmingham City collapsed

'Cup ties are always difficult games, no matter what country you are in or the level of the opposition,' added Mendes.

'But the Scottish Cup is such an important trophy for us to win, if we can.

'It is always a major honour for the club who wins the national Cup competition.

'Portsmouth were not regarded as contenders in England last year. But we had a good run and it was great to celebrate at Wembley after winning the Final.'

Chris Burke

Moving south: Midfielder Chris Burke has swapped Ibrox for Ninian Park after joining Cardiff City

One player who has departed Ibrox is Chris Burke. He joined Cardiff City yesterday, signing a deal which will keep him in the Welsh capital until 2011.

Last night Burke said: 'It's a new challenge for me. I loved my time at Rangers but I felt as though I wasn't progressing the way I wanted. I wasn't playing as much as I would have liked.'

Insisting that now was the right time to cut his ties with Rangers, rather than opt for a loan move or pre-contract agreement at this stage in his career, he told Rangers World: 'I feel as though I need stability in my life, so to move away and get a clean break is the best thing.

'I need to support a family and there is no point going down there for six months and coming back to see what's happening.'

Cardiff boss Dave Jones was delighted with his capture as he pipped Alex McLeish for the £12,000-aweek winger.

'I think Chris thought he was going to Birmingham, but the move fell through and we stepped in to sign him,' said Jones.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...stay-Ibrox.html

Pedro Mendes has told Rangers to forget cashing in on him during the January sales - as he targets more silverware to go with last season's FA Cup triumph with Portsmouth.

The Ibrox club, stunned by the collapse of Kris Boyd's projected £3.8million sale to Birmingham City, were left reeling again yesterday as Alan Gow returned from a failed medical at Wolves because of a hip-muscle injury.

Rangers chairman Sir David Murray desperately needs a major sale to balance the books, with fans wondering which star asset will leave Walter Smith's team.

But Sportsmail can reveal that Mendes spoke to his London-based agents First Artists on Thursday, immediately after learning that Boyd's move to Alex McLeish's Birmingham had collapsed. And he advised them he was very happy to remain in Glasgow, with his lucrative contract running to 2011 - despite being linked with Joe Kinnear's Newcastle, as well as former clubs Tottenham and Portsmouth.

Ibrox fans will be delighted the midfielder has moved to make sure he does not receive a tap on the shoulder and yesterday Mendes said: 'I want to go on my summer holidays with medals in the luggage.

'I won the FA Cup at Wembley last May with Portsmouth and it was a fantastic experience. Hopefully, I can do it again with Rangers.'

The Portuguese international, one of Rangers' top earners, has confided to friends that he has no immediate ambition to return to the English Premier League, having settled quickly in Glasgow. He has scored three brilliant goals for Rangers, which have helped make him an instant favourite with the Ibrox supporters.

Mendes turns 30 next month and the £3m arrival from Pompey in August told the club website yesterday:

'When you come to Rangers, you are looking and expecting to win trophies and I am no different from any other player in that respect.

'It is only good for your career, good for the club and good for all the Rangers fans. There is a long way to go in three competitions, but I am confident.'

Meanwhile, Smith's side head for First Division St Johnstone on Tuesday night for BBC Scotland's live Scottish Cup fourth-round tie - with Kris Boyd likely to be in the starting line-up.

Scroll down for more

Boyd

Staying put: Striker Kris Boyd is expected to play for the Gers after his move to Birmingham City collapsed

'Cup ties are always difficult games, no matter what country you are in or the level of the opposition,' added Mendes.

'But the Scottish Cup is such an important trophy for us to win, if we can.

'It is always a major honour for the club who wins the national Cup competition.

'Portsmouth were not regarded as contenders in England last year. But we had a good run and it was great to celebrate at Wembley after winning the Final.'

Chris Burke

Moving south: Midfielder Chris Burke has swapped Ibrox for Ninian Park after joining Cardiff City

One player who has departed Ibrox is Chris Burke. He joined Cardiff City yesterday, signing a deal which will keep him in the Welsh capital until 2011.

Last night Burke said: 'It's a new challenge for me. I loved my time at Rangers but I felt as though I wasn't progressing the way I wanted. I wasn't playing as much as I would have liked.'

Insisting that now was the right time to cut his ties with Rangers, rather than opt for a loan move or pre-contract agreement at this stage in his career, he told Rangers World: 'I feel as though I need stability in my life, so to move away and get a clean break is the best thing.

'I need to support a family and there is no point going down there for six months and coming back to see what's happening.'

Cardiff boss Dave Jones was delighted with his capture as he pipped Alex McLeish for the £12,000-aweek winger.

'I think Chris thought he was going to Birmingham, but the move fell through and we stepped in to sign him,' said Jones.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...stay-Ibrox.html

So that's what a bio mechanical injury is!!!! <_<

Good stuff Pedro, glad to hear it! Mr Murray will have you in his office tomorrow telling you the benefits of leaving Rangers!!!! :2g:

"I want to go on my summer holidays with medals in the luggage" ... wouldn't make that public or he will get mugged by some grizzly tim at the airport :ph34r:.

Seriously though Mendes will stay here as long as he thinks there is a chance of being in a winning team ... and since he's not a supporter I think that's probably fair enough

"I want to go on my summer holidays with medals in the luggage" ... wouldn't make that public or he will get mugged by some grizzly tim at the airport :ph34r:.

Seriously though Mendes will stay here as long as he thinks there is a chance of being in a winning team ... and since he's not a supporter I think that's probably fair enough

Like most players who play for the club, he WILL leave a supporter.

We have that effect on people.

if he was offered a return to the EPL and we received £3.5m , he would be gone

lets not be kidded that he wants to play in the SPL or for Rangers in the long term

True, a big enough offer he'd be gone.

i love Pedro, but i'd rather he just didnt say anything. I'm sick to death of hearing the "i love it at Rangers i dont want to leave" speech from players then leaving a couple of weeks later.

Do your talking on the pitch Pedro (tu)

i love Pedro, but i'd rather he just didnt say anything. I'm sick to death of hearing the "i love it at Rangers i dont want to leave" speech from players then leaving a couple of weeks later.

He does

He does

I know :)