Time for a rethink

bluesnaw

Ok, it’s not news to anybody that we’re in a bit of a financial pickle at the minute, despite protestations to the contrary emanating from the corridors of power at Ibrox. We can never be certain how bad the problem is - unless you believe the merchants of doom, of course - but my thoughts are that this is far from irrecoverable.

However, here is my concern. Having scoured the books for the past few years looking at the revenue streams and their worth to the business, it seems impossible to balance the books without two or three key things: success on the park (raise more revenue), reduce operating costs (allow existing revenue to go further), or - as a last resort - divestment (flog the family silver to keep the wolves from the door).

In reality, prudent businesses would never see these things as mutually exclusive, and will often use all three wisely as a way of keeping the business solvent year on year. But, most successful businesses would encapsulate these tools within an overall business plan capable of winning and maintaining a competitive advantage. We don’t seem to be doing that.

Rangers (as a business under Murray) seems to have entered a cycle of attempting to buy success, which hasn’t really worked, and forms a very shaky foundation to try and build on. Yes, it will bring reasonable success from time to time, but will inevitably lead to a vicious cycle of mounting debt, the inevitable period of fiscal prudence, which leads to a weakening of the squad, which manifests in less success on the park and the need to buy success, which leads to more debt… ad infinitum.

It seems to me our three prize assets are not being used effectively: our name, foreign players wish to play in the EPL, and Murray park. Let’s deal with each in turn.

Our name is synonymous with the “huge club” tag and, despite the reality, foreign players and coaches still see us as one of the big guns in football. This is something we can use to attract talent from the far reaches of Europe and beyond, should we need them. Couple that with the desire for most professionals to play in the EPL and we have a surefire winner in attracting “names” to our club.

Why not market Rangers as a springboard to the EPL? As long as we can couple an effective deal structure - one that doesn’t allow people to run out on us after six months - with an effective replenishment policy and robust scouting network, it could work.

Above all, our youth policy (the true lifeblood of the club) is the most disappointing aspect of our current set up, where we seem to have an array of talent waiting in the wings, but we’re not using them to best effect. Our “conveyor belt of talent” should be nurtured to feed the main squad primarily, but also as saleable assets to other clubs. That is simply not happening. We seem to think of nineteen and twenty-year olds as boys. Bolloxs! They are men. Players like big DJ were scoring goals and winning European trophies at sixteen or thereabouts!

In short, we need a new business model that encapsulates these things, but above all, a manager that understands that days of asking to buy players to fill a gap must become a thing of the past, and the system should be capable of generating a high percentage of the playing requirements.

I’m not saying I’m right, but what is clear, is the need for a new business philosophy at Rangers….

nicely put

ive been moaning at ANYONE i know that rangers SHOULD become a stepping club to EPL (or ANY bigger league)

look at van bronckhurst, boumsong (what a steal that was), cuellar, hutton

we made a healthy profit on them all

the big sporting lisbon defender has said he'd use the club as a stepping stone, well done t him

i for one would love to sign a guy thats interesed in laying out his skin so other clubs will notice him

if we bought him for 3mill and put a release fee in his contract for say 7mil

he then knows he's got to play to a level of a club willing to fork out 7mill for him

and if he DOES play that well theres no reason why we cant be successful

We may well be a 'big name' but that counts for feck all when the likes of Bolton and Wigan are paying average players £50k a week. Players want the best deals going and who can blame them. £20k a week playing for Rangers in a two horse league or £50k playing in the EPL against Chelsea, man U etc week in week out? No Brainer as they say...

We may well be a 'big name' but that counts for feck all when the likes of Bolton and Wigan are paying average players £50k a week. Players want the best deals going and who can blame them. £20k a week playing for Rangers in a two horse league or £50k playing in the EPL against Chelsea, man U etc week in week out? No Brainer as they say...

Yes, but like most, you're completely missing the point. The market we operate in doesn't allow us to pay fifty-grand a week, but we are in a unique position and we should be able to cash in on it. If not, it'll just be the same old, same old for years to come.

Good post (tu)

We obviously have financial problems and we need more than a quick fix of selling a player or two to balance the books. Our name is clearly not being used to best effect for marketing/revenue purposes. More use should have be made of our "Global name" but I think it'll need more than the likes of M.Bain to pull that off.

Using us as a springboard is fine as long as the contracts are set out to our benefit - again Bains not up to it - Cuellar ?

Our youth policy is indeed disappointing - but then again we don't play youths anyway with the current management.

There needs to be a clearout to get some forward thinkers in IMO.

Ok, it’s not news to anybody that we’re in a bit of a financial pickle at the minute, despite protestations to the contrary emanating from the corridors of power at Ibrox. We can never be certain how bad the problem is - unless you believe the merchants of doom, of course - but my thoughts are that this is far from irrecoverable.

However, here is my concern. Having scoured the books for the past few years looking at the revenue streams and their worth to the business, it seems impossible to balance the books without two or three key things: success on the park (raise more revenue), reduce operating costs (allow existing revenue to go further), or - as a last resort - divestment (flog the family silver to keep the wolves from the door).

In reality, prudent businesses would never see these things as mutually exclusive, and will often use all three wisely as a way of keeping the business solvent year on year. But, most successful businesses would encapsulate these tools within an overall business plan capable of winning and maintaining a competitive advantage. We don’t seem to be doing that.

Rangers (as a business under Murray) seems to have entered a cycle of attempting to buy success, which hasn’t really worked, and forms a very shaky foundation to try and build on. Yes, it will bring reasonable success from time to time, but will inevitably lead to a vicious cycle of mounting debt, the inevitable period of fiscal prudence, which leads to a weakening of the squad, which manifests in less success on the park and the need to buy success, which leads to more debt… ad infinitum.

It seems to me our three prize assets are not being used effectively: our name, foreign players wish to play in the EPL, and Murray park. Let’s deal with each in turn.

Our name is synonymous with the “huge club” tag and, despite the reality, foreign players and coaches still see us as one of the big guns in football. This is something we can use to attract talent from the far reaches of Europe and beyond, should we need them. Couple that with the desire for most professionals to play in the EPL and we have a surefire winner in attracting “names” to our club.

Why not market Rangers as a springboard to the EPL? As long as we can couple an effective deal structure - one that doesn’t allow people to run out on us after six months - with an effective replenishment policy and robust scouting network, it could work.

Above all, our youth policy (the true lifeblood of the club) is the most disappointing aspect of our current set up, where we seem to have an array of talent waiting in the wings, but we’re not using them to best effect. Our “conveyor belt of talent” should be nurtured to feed the main squad primarily, but also as saleable assets to other clubs. That is simply not happening. We seem to think of nineteen and twenty-year olds as boys. Bolloxs! They are men. Players like big DJ were scoring goals and winning European trophies at sixteen or thereabouts!

In short, we need a new business model that encapsulates these things, but above all, a manager that understands that days of asking to buy players to fill a gap must become a thing of the past, and the system should be capable of generating a high percentage of the playing requirements.

I’m not saying I’m right, but what is clear, is the need for a new business philosophy at Rangers….

Very good post and points mate.

I reckon I would be comfortable with the highlighted part so long as it is structured to our advantage.

Not all of the good or very good players on the continent that wish to play in the EPL are going to move there at the same time. So, why not take ones that are maybe a year or two away from a move to the EPL and get some good service out of them and then sell for a profit. Makes sense to me.

PSV Eindhoven do this well,bring in players with potential 2 be moved on 2 the EPL etc.It has served them well,various champions league runs.There scouting system is very good though unlike ours.

Have been involved at youth football for a number of years, been at MP on numerous occasions and the snobbery of our youth coaches is breathtaking.

I took a team of young boys on sat morning to play (them) and the difference is night and day .

By the way i have two season tickets for Ibrox but does anybody see the point Im getting?

We need a total clearout from top to bottom