Smith remains focused

disgruntled_bear

Gers boss focused on cup tie rather than internal rumblings

Rangers manager Walter Smith refused to comment on the ongoing feud at the club regarding Barry Ferguson, instead choosing to concentrate on Tuesday's cup clash.

Club chairman Sir David Murray has accused agent Willie McKay of unsettling the Rangers skipper after he was linked with a move across the border.

But McKay insists that Rangers chief executive Martin Bain had asked him to find a buyer for the Scotland captain.

Smith would not comment on internal on-goings but insisted that what was going on behind the scenes would not have an affect on their Scottish Cup fourth round tie away at St Johnstone.

"There's no problem for us to focus on the game, that is what we do," he told Sky Sports News.

"A lot of the extra stuff going around in the week may deflect on some places but certainly not on the football side of things.

"I think we're fairly focused despite everything that's been written, talked about or whatever.

"Apart from Chris Burke we will have the same squad of players.

"The main concentration from ours is how we apply ourselves in the game and that application will be a major factor in terms of if we can succeed tomorrow night or not."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,117...?20090112153350

Smith may remain focused but thats not his problem - his focus remains the same - shoe horning the same old faces into his starting 11 with no regard to overall shape or balance.With Burke going we are short on right wing play - his answer - converting strikers - or playing a central midfielder - I accept that the finances are dodgy but surely the simple way to run a team is to strive for natural balance .It was madness to spend as he did after Kaunas and then not utilise these players - Edu,Velicka Lafferty - we didn't need these players but have them and as a result must lose other players.

This won't be an easy game, at this moment in time i will take a win no matter how it comes.

Agreed. (tu)

We can't approach this game in the same over-confident manner we've approached other games against lower-league sides. Saints are probably as good as half the teams in the SPL, and almost always play outta their skins against us. It's going to be a tough game.

Smith may remain focused but thats not his problem - his focus remains the same - shoe horning the same old faces into his starting 11 with no regard to overall shape or balance.With Burke going we are short on right wing play - his answer - converting strikers - or playing a central midfielder - I accept that the finances are dodgy but surely the simple way to run a team is to strive for natural balance .It was madness to spend as he did after Kaunas and then not utilise these players - Edu,Velicka Lafferty - we didn't need these players but have them and as a result must lose other players.

Davis has played on the right all season barring his spell out when his mum passed away. Burke leaving will have absolutely no bearing on team selection or positioning as he has barely been in the frame all season.

Davis has played on the right all season barring his spell out when his mum passed away. Burke leaving will have absolutely no bearing on team selection or positioning as he has barely been in the frame all season.

Wasnt advocating keeping Burke - Davis in most opions is a central player but due to Smiths lack of sqaud balance and to accomodate Fergie is forced out there - I feel teams play at their best when balanced - if Davis goes inside then who plays wide right mid in Walts eyes - Whittaker ??????????????