Hit for Six

Poetry_In_Blue

BILLY KIRKWOOD praised both sets of players after Rangers U19s beat West Calder United 6-1 in conditions the coach described as 'the worst he has ever seen in his football career.

'The Light Blues travelled through to West Lothian for the opening of Hermand Park and the game kicked off despite gale force winds and rain.

Indeed the weather was so bad that West Calder United's keeper took a goal kick and proceeded to catch the ball when it was blown back to him!

In the end a hat-trick from Archie Campbell and further goals from Gregg Wylde, Stephen Stirling and Kyle McAusland secured a victory with West Calder bagging a late consolation at the death.

Kirkwood said: "I thought both teams deserve great credit for going out and doing their best on Sunday."I don't think I have ever seen worse football conditions in my life, the wind was incredible. "Obviously we were delighted with the result and we took our goals well on the day. "But It was a big day for West Calder with the game taking place to open new facilities at Hermand Park so we were delighted to help them do that."

RANGERS: Vaiculis; Hutton, Scott, Wilson, Wylde; McShea, Stirling, Forbes, Naismith; Campbell, BagciSubs: Adam, McAusland, McCabe

Good to see the youngsters getting another game under their belts, the bit in bold I found funny, even funnier if it went in the net! :lol:

BILLY KIRKWOOD praised both sets of players after Rangers U19s beat West Calder United 6-1 in conditions the coach described as 'the worst he has ever seen in his football career.

'The Light Blues travelled through to West Lothian for the opening of Hermand Park and the game kicked off despite gale force winds and rain.

Indeed the weather was so bad that West Calder United's keeper took a goal kick and proceeded to catch the ball when it was blown back to him!

In the end a hat-trick from Archie Campbell and further goals from Gregg Wylde, Stephen Stirling and Kyle McAusland secured a victory with West Calder bagging a late consolation at the death.

Kirkwood said: "I thought both teams deserve great credit for going out and doing their best on Sunday."I don't think I have ever seen worse football conditions in my life, the wind was incredible. "Obviously we were delighted with the result and we took our goals well on the day. "But It was a big day for West Calder with the game taking place to open new facilities at Hermand Park so we were delighted to help them do that."

RANGERS: Vaiculis; Hutton, Scott, Wilson, Wylde; McShea, Stirling, Forbes, Naismith; Campbell, BagciSubs: Adam, McAusland, McCabe

Good to see the youngsters getting another game under their belts, the bit in bold I found funny, even funnier if it went in the net! :lol:

Haha I'd love to see this on youtube

Good to hear Archie Campbell getting a hat-trick (tu)

Got high hopes for Archie Campbell after watching him for Scotland at the U16 home tournament a few years back on Sky sports.

Aye, he is a tidy looking player DB

Am pleased to see Wylde knock one in too, I think he is going to do a lot of good for our left hand side in a wee while

If it had been a goal kick off the floor then what would have happened if he had caught it?

Surely that would have been against the rules?

Well, technically he is saving a possible goal, it's not a deliberate pass back or anything like that, just total freak of nature so would be harsh to give a free kick when in normal circumstances the game probably wouldn't have been played due to the conditions.

If it had been a goal kick off the floor then what would have happened if he had caught it?

Surely that would have been against the rules?

This actually came up before in an amateur game i was watching, was ruled as a play on so i guess it was lenient due to the weather.

Good to hear Archie Campbell getting a hat-trick (tu)

Got high hopes for Archie Campbell after watching him for Scotland at the U16 home tournament a few years back on Sky sports.

Yes he looked good, very quick. I thought he out shone John Fleck in that tournament.