Paul Hughes

BluBear79

Bigot fury at Graham Ibrox link

GRAHAM GARTLAND got pelters for being linked with a move to Rangers just because he was Catholic.

But the former Drogheda United star brushed aside the abuse by insisting he’d have JUMPED at the chance to play for the Light Blues.

Now the defender is gearing up to make his St Johnstone debut against the Ibrox side in tonight’s Scottish Cup clash after the Perth side finally got their man after two years of trying.

Gartland, 25, though revealed how close it came to being his Gers debut. He said: “A fella I know told me Rangers were interested and asked if I’d go over and have a look.

“I said I would although I’m not sure how far up the ladder at Ibrox it got.

“The Irish press got hold of it though and with me being an Irish Catholic it got blown out of all proportion.

“I was getting asked about it all the time, whether I could ever play for Rangers.

“I always said yeah, of course I could. Football is football to me.

“But a few people told my old man there was no way I could play for Rangers.

“I don’t see it as a big deal. Obviously I prefer to see Celtic doing well being Irish but would I play for Rangers? Of course I would.”

Gartland saw moves to Leicester, Ipswich and Burnley fall through before sealing his switch to Derek McInnes’ Saints after Drogheda went bust. He said: “It’s great just to be back at training again.

“It was frustrating when so many moves fell through but the gaffer here has shown a lot of faith in me and kept in touch.

“I’m glad everything has been sorted now and I’m excited about getting started again.

“It’s great to have a set routine again. As a footballer, everything revolves around training and playing games.”

Gartland revealed he left Drogheda empty-handed — after he handed his final wage packet to the club’s hard-working kitman.

He said: “I cancelled my wage three weeks from the end at Drogheda.

“We had three games left and I was banned for one, so I told them there was no point in paying me.

“I gave my last week’s wages to the kitman because he had worked really hard for the past five years.“

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2123520.ece

I'll post it for you then, you lazy bassa! :craphead:

really? reads more like a dig at the "celticminded" than anything else.

don't see any dig at rangers, just a boy who would be happy to play for us.

Most Irish people I've met are really decent folk, it's the west of Scotland "IRISH?" who are the problem, and they'd also be a problem over there.

really? reads more like a dig at the "celticminded" than anything else.

don't see any dig at rangers, just a boy who would be happy to play for us.

Thats the way I read it too.

:unionflag: seems a rational view portrayed