RST launch 'We Deserve Better' campaign

here is a bit more detail

RANGERS fans groups today launched a "We Deserve Better" campaign to try and pile the pressure on the club's board.

Chairman Sir David Murray's decision to sell off one of his leading players this month to balance the books has been met with a furious reaction from some Gers fans - who held a banner during last night's win over St Johnstone asking him to quit the club.

The agreed sale of striker Kris Boyd to Birmingham City in a £3.8m deal was the final straw for many and various groups such as the Rangers Supporters Trust and the Blue Order have now issued a statement urging supporters clubs and fans to unite and let the club know their feelings.

advertisementTrust chief David Edgar said today: "This isn't a campaign to get the chairman out or anything like that.

"We know he is in a situation where he hasn't been able to find a buyer for the club but we want to know what direction the club is moving in and we're looking for improvements."

The statement lists areas in which he says supporters are concerned with and want explanations and they are as follows;

- Only 2 league titles in 8 seasons

- Only 2 cups won in last 3 full seasons

- Losing to the worst European opponents faced since Valletta in 1983

- A state of the art training facility, yet no advancements in technique or set plays

- No discernible strategic vision, either on or off the pitch

- No long-term transfer or team-building plan

- Only two youth players (McGregor and Hutton) of genuine quality produced in the last decade

- Selling first team players to cover losses previously made on fringe players

- Consistent failure to move fringe players on for reasonable transfer fees

- Lucrative pay-offs for failed players - Failure to profit from our most lucrative ever season

- Failure to engage with or interact with the support in any meaningful way

- Treating Rangers fans with disdain as customers instead of valuing and working with them as supporters and part of the Rangers family

- Inability to either attract inward investment, or to convince fans to invest in any meaningful way

- Reduction in the status of our club from leading football force in the land, to almost social pariah status through a failure to challenge those seeking to link Rangers with sectarianism

- A PR operation which only acts when senior club figures are personally criticised and all too often fails to defend the Rangers support

- Fan morale lower than at any time in the past 24 years

This is long overdue and, 'tin-hat' firmly on, is the sort of statement and stance that the RST should have taken from day 1.

Trying to appease and be friendly with Bain & Murray was a terrible strategy and one that the RST must now regret. Some of the points raised above could have been raised anytime over the last 5 years and I just hope it is not a case of too little too late.

I would also advocate a fan boycott until the points made in the statement are answered in detail by Murray and Bain.

The club is rotten to the core on and off the pitch and this statement, whilst rightly not mentioning individuals, covers the ineptitude of all from the playing staff, through the coaches and manager to the CEO, the Chairman and the Board.

Over to you Bain & Murray.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fans at Ibrox sit on their hands in fear of the stewards Murray hires. Thanks to murray Ibrox is like a morgue, it's thanks to his capitulation that the support are confused as to what they can and can not sing. It's him who went to the Police to get supporters arrested for singing a satirical song, yeah that's right... he'd be happy to see a Rangers fan arrested and put his job at risk to keep his own reputation squeky clean. You're God damn right we deserve better than this.

We cannot do anything until SDM sells up. No-one is forthcoming with their interest so what are to do? Do people want SDM to just chuck the keys on the desk and walk away from the club? Where would that leave us? While I understand the frustrations of many fans, you have to look at the bigger picture and see that its not as easy as all that. Questions need to be asked about Murray Park etc, but what are the answers going to give us? Im not backing the management here, Im just having a reality check as Im beginning to accept that until a new owner comes in , we are stuck with the Devil we know.

I believe that David Murray first hinted at selling Rangers in 2005.

It is now 2009. It may not be possible for him to find a buyer for Rangers for quite some time.

Should we simply accept appalling mismanagement because he has put the club up for sale?

And let this situation continue for years?

We might very well be stuck with the 'Devil we know' - that is reason enough to support this campaign.

Is what Murray doing now not rectifying some of these mistakes? He is trying to get books balanced. Its not his fault Walter mis-spent in the summer. Has he not had a good look around Murray park recently and asked Walter to get rid of the dead wood?

I think he is getting the club more self reliant. And that means spending what it can afford. We cannot afford to spend £6M on a player anymore and perhaps we never could. When Murray does go and the new guy comes in and sees what income we are getting, Im sure they will not believe we were spending the millions on transfers that we are. You look at Celtic and although they have dominated the past Decade and had plenty of Euro money coming in, they have never really spent above what they could afford.

I look at the trusts points, but perhaps supporters of every single club in the land could ask the same things.

There's a credibility problem here.

After the rights issue in 2004, SDM told us that from that point on the club would be run responsibly and that he wouldn't see us mired in debt again.

Fair enough, the 2006 balance sheet showed a debt of only £6m, which made for a lot more pleasant reading than one of over £80m.

However, despite the most successful season in terms of revenue in our history, the debt is now heading towards or even above £30m. It is this situation that has necessitated the 'fire sale' - I don't believe Kris Boyd will be the only player to leave this transfer window.

In one of SDM's newspaper interviews last week there was an alarming reference to slashing the wage bill by one-third. This would mean that Celtic could easily have a 2 to 1 advantage in pay - this would surely be a telling factor in future title races.

We somehow managed to blow the money we earned last season in Europe on bonuses and players who have rarely featured.

Surely, Martin Bain and Walter Smith must be held accountable? Instead of this, they get Murray's backing.

In my view, we have every right to complain about mismanagement and urge the club to do better.

Some fans at Ibrox sit on their hands in fear of the stewards Murray hires. Thanks to murray Ibrox is like a morgue, it's thanks to his capitulation that the support are confused as to what they can and can not sing. It's him who went to the Police to get supporters arrested for singing a satirical song, yeah that's right... he'd be happy to see a Rangers fan arrested and put his job at risk to keep his own reputation squeky clean. You're God damn right we deserve better than this.

I dont buy that Jim, the support arent that dim (I hope)

Its one (fantastic anthem) plus a 2 line chorus of a song that, tbh, was pretty lame in the first place

Common knowledge mate

(to add, I agree with the rest of it, and the principle behind your point)

We cannot do anything until SDM sells up. No-one is forthcoming with their interest so what are to do? Do people want SDM to just chuck the keys on the desk and walk away from the club? Where would that leave us? While I understand the frustrations of many fans, you have to look at the bigger picture and see that its not as easy as all that. Questions need to be asked about Murray Park etc, but what are the answers going to give us? Im not backing the management here, Im just having a reality check as Im beginning to accept that until a new owner comes in , we are stuck with the Devil we know.

I believe that David Murray first hinted at selling Rangers in 2005.

It is now 2009. It may not be possible for him to find a buyer for Rangers for quite some time.

Should we simply accept appalling mismanagement because he has put the club up for sale?

And let this situation continue for years?

We might very well be stuck with the 'Devil we know' - that is reason enough to support this campaign.

Is what Murray doing now not rectifying some of these mistakes? He is trying to get books balanced. Its not his fault Walter mis-spent in the summer. Has he not had a good look around Murray park recently and asked Walter to get rid of the dead wood?

I think he is getting the club more self reliant. And that means spending what it can afford. We cannot afford to spend £6M on a player anymore and perhaps we never could. When Murray does go and the new guy comes in and sees what income we are getting, Im sure they will not believe we were spending the millions on transfers that we are. You look at Celtic and although they have dominated the past Decade and had plenty of Euro money coming in, they have never really spent above what they could afford.

I look at the trusts points, but perhaps supporters of every single club in the land could ask the same things.

There's a credibility problem here.

After the rights issue in 2004, SDM told us that from that point on the club would be run responsibly and that he wouldn't see us mired in debt again.

Fair enough, the 2006 balance sheet showed a debt of only £6m, which made for a lot more pleasant reading than one of over £80m.

However, despite the most successful season in terms of revenue in our history, the debt is now heading towards or even above £30m. It is this situation that has necessitated the 'fire sale' - I don't believe Kris Boyd will be the only player to leave this transfer window.

In one of SDM's newspaper interviews last week there was an alarming reference to slashing the wage bill by one-third. This would mean that Celtic could easily have a 2 to 1 advantage in pay - this would surely be a telling factor in future title races.

We somehow managed to blow the money we earned last season in Europe on bonuses and players who have rarely featured.

Surely, Martin Bain and Walter Smith must be held accountable? Instead of this, they get Murray's backing.

In my view, we have every right to complain about mismanagement and urge the club to do better.

So how is this achieved?

So how is this achieved?

As a first step, I think Murray has to replace Bain and Smith.

The 'old pals' network' at Ibrox is failing.

I'd also like him to launch an independent review of operations within Ibrox to see which areas of activity can be improved.

Its one (fantastic anthem) plus a 2 line chorus of a song that, tbh, was pretty lame in the first place

Common knowledge mate

Really ?

Can you explain why Stewards are asking people to be quiet and sit down ?

Asking for their Rangers numbers ?

If you think it's clear cut as don't sing this certain song and that then you are sadly mistaken...

Murray employs these Nazi bastards and he's fully aware of what's happeneing and no doubt thinks it's superb.

What about the 70 year old who turns up at Ibrox just to see the team play and is too old to bother with singing... does he not deserve better ?

I agree with every point in the statement and I would guess that most fans do, but where do we go from here. How do we get SDM and WS to acknowledge the farce that was this Summer and all the deficiencies stated in the statement? How do we get them to correct this stuff? They are the ones that got us into this mess and in my opinion are not the ones to rectify it. SDM for negligent spending and negligently backing Walter's mis-spent millions this Summer. Walter spending millions on players that never play and team selections like the Kaunas debacle and others.

We all need to get behind this. It's time the supporters stopped settling for 2nd best - whether you still support/love Sir David Murray or not, 'We Deserve Better'

A fantastic statement from the RST (tu)

I disagree, quite a lot in fact. I think its quite a poor statement, and, the reasons are simple. Its just a moan. There isn't anything constructive in it. A fantastic statement would perhaps have had some opinions from these people as to how everyone could work together to improve things, the club AND the fans. It should have made some kind of suggestions as to how to improve things, ad drive the club on. There is nothing productive in it that I can see, it just pretty much says, we dontlike murray, we think the team is shit, and, we want to win more.

I can see that there is a Catch 22 situation, but, for me, the AWAY fans deserve better, but, the majority of the home support dont. The away fans act like true fan, and generally sing throughout the game, attempting to drive on our less than talented current squad, whereas at Ibrox, people sit on their hands, and, many claim its purely because we "cant" sing the billy boys any more, which, is pish, for want of a better word, because the away lads manage to sing. I dont feel overly proud of our support (rremember I am generalising) and, its nothing to do with bigot/sectarian gash, but, how we conduct ourselves these days. As a support (at Ibrox) a lot of the times we ARE second best, we get outsung by our opponents, which for me is unacceptable

If we were turning up in numbers, singing all game, and, staying til the end, then, I think there would be a point and we WOULD deserve better.

It would also be niaive to even consider the possibility that the club dont realise the fans are unhappy.

I disagree with many points that you raise.

You may see the statement as a moan but the RST or anyone else in the support are unable to do anything to address the points raised.

It is up to Murray & Bain to issue a positive response and detail how they are going to rectify the problems. And then most importantly deliver those promises.

Common knowledge mate

Really ?

Can you explain why Stewards are asking people to be quiet and sit down ?

Asking for their Rangers numbers ?

If you think it's clear cut as don't sing this certain song and that then you are sadly mistaken...

Murray employs these Nazi bastards and he's fully aware of what's happeneing and no doubt thinks it's superb.

What about the 70 year old who turns up at Ibrox just to see the team play and is too old to bother with singing... does he not deserve better ?

Ok, maybe some are that dim haha

I know what you mea, its Rock Steady now isnt it? They are arseholes wherever they are.

If people are told to be quiet, then, thats definately something that should be in every attendees diary to write in and complain about, or similar.

Last part is the exception, not the rule, or should be

Just my opinion man

So how is this achieved?

I'd also like him to launch an independent review of operations within Ibrox to see which areas of activity can be improved.

I watched him replace Smith before with a manager with a world wide international reputation, who at the end of his reign failed despite spending millions upon millions.

I watched Murray bring in one of Europes highest rated and coveted young managers only to see him chased out of the door 200 days later, having failed miserably to even begin his quest to turn the club around.

I too would like to see Smith replaced this year, but who is to say anyone else could do a better job. The 'old pals' act may yet finish the season as Champions having got the club to a European Final 12 months earlier.

We all need to get behind this. It's time the supporters stopped settling for 2nd best - whether you still support/love Sir David Murray or not, 'We Deserve Better'

I disagree, quite a lot in fact. I think its quite a poor statement, and, the reasons are simple. Its just a moan. There isn't anything constructive in it. A fantastic statement would perhaps have had some opinions from these people as to how everyone could work together to improve things, the club AND the fans. It should have made some kind of suggestions as to how to improve things, ad drive the club on. There is nothing productive in it that I can see, it just pretty much says, we dontlike murray, we think the team is shit, and, we want to win more.

I can see that there is a Catch 22 situation, but, for me, the AWAY fans deserve better, but, the majority of the home support dont. The away fans act like true fan, and generally sing throughout the game, attempting to drive on our less than talented current squad, whereas at Ibrox, people sit on their hands, and, many claim its purely because we "cant" sing the billy boys any more, which, is pish, for want of a better word, because the away lads manage to sing. I dont feel overly proud of our support (rremember I am generalising) and, its nothing to do with bigot/sectarian gash, but, how we conduct ourselves these days. As a support (at Ibrox) a lot of the times we ARE second best, we get outsung by our opponents, which for me is unacceptable

If we were turning up in numbers, singing all game, and, staying til the end, then, I think there would be a point and we WOULD deserve better.

It would also be niaive to even consider the possibility that the club dont realise the fans are unhappy.

You may see the statement as a moan but the RST or anyone else in the support are unable to do anything to address the points raised.

It is up to Murray & Bain to issue a positive response and detail how they are going to rectify the problems. And then most importantly deliver those promises.

They will issue a defence not a response. They are not the ones to rectify this. It is beyond them. They created these circumstances initially.

I thought you might :craphead:

As a statement, its a list of complaints. Nothing more, I write statements, and proposals, and, I think it comes across badly, many wont because its aimed at Murray in a negative way. To be taken seriously, again imho, it should have included the content it did, as well as THEIR opinions (and an offer perhaps?) to work together WITH the club, to move us forward. In that situation, with press coverage, the club would have HAD to do something, or would have looked very bad in the media/public eye. The way it has been done here can easily be dismissed as "fans moaning because we arent spending money and havent won the league"

harsh and unfair yes, but just watch what happens

Seriously, people still wouldnt be happy, no matter what Murray does, and, i am not a fan of his btw.

So how is this achieved?

I watched him replace Smith before with a manager with a world wide international reputation, who at the end of his reign failed despite spending millions upon millions. -Putting us in the financiual predicament we are in now

I watched Murray bring in one of Europes highest rated and coveted young managers only to see him chased out of the door 200 days later, having failed miserably to even begin his quest to turn the club around.

I too would like to see Smith replaced this year, but who is to say anyone else could do a better job. The 'old pals' act may yet finish the season as Champions having got the club to a European Final 12 months earlier.

Just added a bit, people seem to be blaming smith for that

Indeed, 5 points behind a poor team, I am stunned so many have given up already. Smith should go, but at the end of the season to minimise disruption.

Murray should be the priority to leave, things will not change while he is here, as, he has already said he wants to leave, so why would he put any more money in? We cant bring a new manager in now, because, in all honesty, what would be the point? No money to spend, you dont really think someone will fancy a job where their first task is to sell one of their best players while playing catchup in the league. After the season, with a whole summer to shape a squad, and, Euro football to look forward to and build towards is the time

So how is this achieved?

I watched him replace Smith before with a manager with a world wide international reputation, who at the end of his reign failed despite spending millions upon millions. -Putting us in the financiual predicament we are in now

Just added a bit, people seem to be blaming smith for that

Indeed, 5 points behind a poor team, I am stunned so many have given up already. Smith should go, but at the end of the season to minimise disruption.

Murray should be the priority to leave, things will not change while he is here, as, he has already said he wants to leave, so why would he put any more money in? We cant bring a new manager in now, because, in all honesty, what would be the point? No money to spend, you dont really think someone will fancy a job where their first task is to sell one of their best players while playing catchup in the league. After the season, with a whole summer to shape a squad, and, Euro football to look forward to and build towards is the time

(tu)

So how is this achieved?

I watched him replace Smith before with a manager with a world wide international reputation, who at the end of his reign failed despite spending millions upon millions.

The way I see it, SDM effectively swept the ground from under WS's feet with his comments last week.

He was basically laying the blame for the current crisis on WS - and I'd have to say - Martin Bain too.

Yet, it was surely Martin Bain's responsibility as Chief Executive to clear the air. Time and time again, Murray has usurped MB's role to the point where questions have to be asked about his position.

The point about the excess of players at Ibrox was fair, but this was true even before the summer and both SDM and MB knew about it, yet neither vetoed the transfer deals.

In retrospect, what was achieved with SDM's intervention anyway? It seems to have been totally counter-productive and hinted at panic.

I think we need to look at the whole way Rangers FC is run from top to bottom.

I don't blame SDM for employing Advocaat but he should have kept a much tighter rein on spending.

When hiring managers there is always an element of chance or risk. We could still win the league this season, but we will stack the odds against this by selling key players in the January transfer window. I sense that the team is suffering and it can hardly be a morale-booster when your manager says that key players must be sold in the next fortnight or so to balance the books.

I thought you might :craphead:

As a statement, its a list of complaints. Nothing more, I write statements, and proposals, and, I think it comes across badly, many wont because its aimed at Murray in a negative way. To be taken seriously, again imho, it should have included the content it did, as well as THEIR opinions (and an offer perhaps?) to work together WITH the club, to move us forward. In that situation, with press coverage, the club would have HAD to do something, or would have looked very bad in the media/public eye. The way it has been done here can easily be dismissed as "fans moaning because we arent spending money and havent won the league"

harsh and unfair yes, but just watch what happens

Seriously, people still wouldnt be happy, no matter what Murray does, and, i am not a fan of his btw.

I'm not a big fan of the RST but I think you're being a bit harsh on guys who are essentially volunteers.

Granted it may not win a 'writing' prize but for me the most important thing is that it has raised this issue in a very public manner.

Perhaps they should have made some recommendations and offered to work with the club but I think they have tried to do this in the past and it has got them/us nowhere.

I disagree with your point that the club would have to do something if this had been the case because the statement already makes the club look bad in the public eye.

Rangers should issue a statement answering the various points raised and the RST should then have the right to challenge or accept the response from the club.

The sorest point is that we all know there is no short or long term plan at the club and we just go on from game to game, season to season hoping for the best. Our levels of expectation and ambition as a support and a club have not been lower since the early - mid 80s.

Add to this the fact that Rangers is a plaything of a wealthy man who has lost interest in it is sould destroying. Granted he is supposedly trying to sell but he was obviously trying to get an unrealistic price before the credit crunch and will basically have to give the club away if he wants out.

Another problem is that we don't have a clue what a prospective buyer would be getting, assets or liabilities, and whether the club is value for money apart from when it is measured from the heart.

It's not just a moan at all. It's giving statements which sum up the problems we have and to which I bet Murray couldn't give you genuine, acceptable answers to if he worked at it for a month. More than anything, it's bemoaning the lack of ideas from people at Ibrox who simply don't understand what they're in charge of, how to represent it or make the most of it. They don't know how to make Rangers number one.

As for coming up with ideas, I believe the RST put forward a 19 ( ? ) point plan to SDM a few months ago which gave contructive, reasonable suggestions, but he ignored it.

I'm probably in the 'support David Murray' category. I say probably, because I realise that changes have to be made....something has to give. However, like it or not, that fact is that without SDM's £51m a few seasons ago, there simply wouldn't still be a Glasgow Rangers at this point in time. That may sound lke sensationalism, but what with the global financial crisis today, we simply wouldn't be operational with a £75m+ debt.

To that fact, I am grateful to SDM for the action he took & ultimately saved the club. Now, I know some will (rightly) blame him for how that debt arose, and who he hired to spend that amount of money. However, I'm sure he did it to try & apease the fans & to bring success to the club. A massive gamble that didn't pay off. Since Advocaat left...successive managers have been given vast amounts of money with varying degree's of success.

What I think is now in-excusable is the current managements failure to utilise his squad. Murray has become a victim of his own frivolous bahaviour. He can't give Smith money to spend on players....because we have no secondary source of income. Smith continues to use players who are either past it or are so sure of their place in the team they have become complacent. I think we do have players in the squad capable of making a difference on the pitch, but Smith just will not use them.

That is where I think Murray HAS to step in. He has to stand up & tell Smith to pull his finger out. Until Smith decides not to play players out of position or who are just plainly over the hill, we won't win championships and wont get champions league money. We will in the short term have to keep selling off the few remaining assets we have until either Smith changes his ways or is removed!

Tin hat time, but I actually feel slightly sorry for Murray!