RST launch 'We Deserve Better' campaign

We cannot do anything until SDM sells up. No-one is forthcoming with their interest so what are to do? Do people want SDM to just chuck the keys on the desk and walk away from the club? Where would that leave us? While I understand the frustrations of many fans, you have to look at the bigger picture and see that its not as easy as all that. Questions need to be asked about Murray Park etc, but what are the answers going to give us? Im not backing the management here, Im just having a reality check as Im beginning to accept that until a new owner comes in , we are stuck with the Devil we know.

I believe that David Murray first hinted at selling Rangers in 2005.

It is now 2009. It may not be possible for him to find a buyer for Rangers for quite some time.

Should we simply accept appalling mismanagement because he has put the club up for sale?

And let this situation continue for years?

We might very well be stuck with the 'Devil we know' - that is reason enough to support this campaign.

Is what Murray doing now not rectifying some of these mistakes? He is trying to get books balanced. Its not his fault Walter mis-spent in the summer. Has he not had a good look around Murray park recently and asked Walter to get rid of the dead wood?

I think he is getting the club more self reliant. And that means spending what it can afford. We cannot afford to spend £6M on a player anymore and perhaps we never could. When Murray does go and the new guy comes in and sees what income we are getting, Im sure they will not believe we were spending the millions on transfers that we are. You look at Celtic and although they have dominated the past Decade and had plenty of Euro money coming in, they have never really spent above what they could afford.

I look at the trusts points, but perhaps supporters of every single club in the land could ask the same things.

I agree.

While we need fresh investment, for me the biggest scandal of these years has been the mis-managment of our club.

Im glad the trust have addressed the lack of tactics, set play awareness that we have been subjected to for a lifetime.

The coaching staff have to hold thier heads in shame, we are quite possibly the most predictable team in the spl at times.

Walter smith has been given a LOT of money. He has spunked it.

Walter smith does not give youth a chance.

he is the man to blame for most of our current plight. Personally i would rather have seen a 'Walter Smith must go' banner.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. First time poster, so please go easy. :P

Firstly, this isn't solely an RST Campaign. It's a campaign backed by other fans groups and is inclusive of everyone who agrees with the sentiment.

Secondly, as someone pointed out, this is NOT a Murray Out campaign. This recognises he is here for the forseeable future and people have to accept this. What this is for is to make the people who run the club do it better.

We hope you will feel you can support it, be it through banners, songs, writing to the club etc. The people in situ can influence things immediately - let's get on to them!

Sniff, sniff ;)

A lot of good points on here.

What I would say is that, as a customer, a stakeholder or a shareholder, it isn't unrealistic to ask that the people who work for your institution do better.

That's what this is about. Murray says that the right people are at the club already. This campaign simply says; prove it.

We do deserve better, however, I will not support this campaign as I want Murray out - nothing less will do.

MURRAY OUT NOW!!!

I want Murry out pronto aswell but he wont walk away and there is no buyer on the horizon.

Least we can do is shame him in to action until he does us all a favour and finally packs up.

I reckon this could force him out the door as soon as if not quicker than a 'Murray GTF' campaign.

The reason being is he relishes a challenge and would fight tooth and nail if it was a direct 'get tae fuck' request.

Harder to take a defensive stance when facing a diplomatic approach.

Who invited John Higgins on to the board ?

HE looks like ME, for the record. :P

Hello Davie,

Well done with this camapaign, especially the bit about set plays and bringing on youth. The coaching staff at Ibrox is definately jobs for the boys.

Youse could draw attention to our lack of scouting network, Ewen Chester, what does this guy do?

All the best with it

P.S. Yes, you do look like John Higgins come to think of it! :-)

I'm probably in the 'support David Murray' category. I say probably, because I realise that changes have to be made....something has to give. However, like it or not, that fact is that without SDM's £51m a few seasons ago, there simply wouldn't still be a Glasgow Rangers at this point in time. That may sound lke sensationalism, but what with the global financial crisis today, we simply wouldn't be operational with a £75m+ debt.

To that fact, I am grateful to SDM for the action he took & ultimately saved the club. Now, I know some will (rightly) blame him for how that debt arose, and who he hired to spend that amount of money. However, I'm sure he did it to try & apease the fans & to bring success to the club. A massive gamble that didn't pay off. Since Advocaat left...successive managers have been given vast amounts of money with varying degree's of success.

What I think is now in-excusable is the current managements failure to utilise his squad. Murray has become a victim of his own frivolous bahaviour. He can't give Smith money to spend on players....because we have no secondary source of income. Smith continues to use players who are either past it or are so sure of their place in the team they have become complacent. I think we do have players in the squad capable of making a difference on the pitch, but Smith just will not use them.

That is where I think Murray HAS to step in. He has to stand up & tell Smith to pull his finger out. Until Smith decides not to play players out of position or who are just plainly over the hill, we won't win championships and wont get champions league money. We will in the short term have to keep selling off the few remaining assets we have until either Smith changes his ways or is removed!

Tin hat time, but I actually feel slightly sorry for Murray!

I actually agree with this post. If you compare us to Leeds Utd who had similar debts to Rangers 4 or 5 years ago and actually had better earning capacity than us as they were playing in the Premier league in England. The only difference was they did not have a financial backer such as Murray and the banks pulled the plug. They now play in the lower divisions while we have reached a European final, won a league and a couple of cups since then. Don't get me wrong I am as unhappy as any other fan at the current state of the club and although I have of course seen better days, there have been worse days.

As for today's statement I support it as I believe Murray and Bain need to show the supporters more respect and can only do that by better dialogue with the various supporters groups. I personally feel the statement could have been more powerful if it had concentrated on the causes of our current problems and not lost focus by also listing a whole host of outcomes.

The causes are basically

Poor Commercial Decisions - i.e JJB Sports vs own shops

Poor transfer market activity

Poor development of youth players

most of the other things listed are outcomes

i.e. only 2 leagues, only 2 cups, only 2 quality youth players coming though, failure in Europe this year Etc. Etc.

Welcome to the Board David. I happen to disagree with a lot of your past comments(if you are who you say you are by the way) going back over the years(dont ask me which ones as there has been loads) and think the statement and "some" of the questions/points raised are daft/silly, however i do share the view that answers should be forthcoming particularly relating to the FOOTBALL team and what the hell Smith and his co-horts are playing at day in day out.

I understand and accept that ultimately, SDM put Smith in the position and has the power to remove him, however his choices of manager in the past have been either a) proven to be correct or b) understandable.

He has got this one totally wrong IMHO.

I'm going to have to take a realistic view of events and say I'm in the corner of Murray for the time being. He wants to leave, but until a buyer is found what is he going to do? Invest more money in us? He has put enough in over the years, and when he was and we were winning it all people couldn't get enough, now when times are hard people want his head on a stick.

Selling Cuellar for £7.8 million was due to a clause, and he sanctioned big spending on players, it isn't his fault they haven't paid off immediately. To be honest if we had got by Kaunus we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

The causes are basically

1. JJB was a great financial and commercial decision. We won from it and nobody will prove any differently.

2. Agree. Shoot Smith and get him to fuk.

3. ITs not been poor development at all. Have you seen the Under 19's over the last 3 seasons and the standard of play ? Its just that we have an old senile kunt as a manager who refuses to give youth a chance. Always has done and always will do (tu)

We've got a £14 million pound state of the art complex for developing youths. That in itself is something any club in Britain (outside a few top EPL teams) would kill for. Just because it hasn't found the next Maradona doesn't mean it won't.

1. JJB was a great financial and commercial decision. We won from it and nobody will prove any differently.

I was thinking of commenting on that issue.

But, while it looks to me to be financially a good decision, I wonder about commercially?

We simply do not have the presence we should have, tourists etc only see scum shops, it doesn't promote us.

I'm going to have to take a realistic view of events and say I'm in the corner of Murray for the time being. He wants to leave, but until a buyer is found what is he going to do? Invest more money in us? He has put enough in over the years, and when he was and we were winning it all people couldn't get enough, now when times are hard people want his head on a stick.

Selling Cuellar for £7.8 million was due to a clause, and he sanctioned big spending on players, it isn't his fault they haven't paid off immediately. To be honest if we had got by Kaunus we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

He can start by appopinting the right personel for their job, Martin Bain simply doesn't have the right credentials to do the job he is supposed to be doing. We have seen fringe player after fringe player leave for nothing or worse be paid off, while accross the city Liewell has been fetching sums like £2million for guys like Craig Beattie, that is mismanagement of the highest degree and Murray has overseen this every step of the way. He also appointed Kenny Scott who has treated the support like lepers, I have never known another ground where the match day experience is so heavily handed with regards to stewarding etc etc. On to the current management team - Murray stated at the last AGM that to operate within our financial means in the future we'll have to bleed youngsters through the system. That is a contradiction in itself when he has Smith at the helm.

Regarding finances he has put in to the club, the only injection that I'm aware of is the £50million shares issue he underwrote which considering was down to his severe mismanagement was the only viable option he had, had he not his reputation would be in tatters. We keep hearing he funded 9IAR, club deck, Gazza, Laudrup etc etc which is complete balderdash, it was gate receipts, merchandicing and catering which fueled this success. Indeed, nearer the end of 9IAR Rangers had somewhere in the region of £30million credit. A murkier area to delve in to is how much Murray international metals gained from the building of the club deck! why did it cost four times the initial estimate ? Who gained financially as a result of the sale of the car park ? Who gained financially at the sale of Edmiston House to Murray's company where he set up shop ? (and left us with a portokabin for a ticket office) Who gained from outsourcing our catering to Azure (who Murray was a major shareholder at the time) ?

We've got a £14 million pound state of the art complex for developing youths. That in itself is something any club in Britain (outside a few top EPL teams) would kill for. Just because it hasn't found the next Maradona doesn't mean it won't.

It potentially already has in Fleck, and Aaron is considered the jewel in their crown by Valencia (their words not mine)

But Auchenhowie will never produce the results required under the current management team.

The causes are basically

2. Agree. Shoot Smith and get him to fuk.

3. ITs not been poor development at all. Have you seen the Under 19's over the last 3 seasons and the standard of play ? Its just that we have an old senile kunt as a manager who refuses to give youth a chance. Always has done and always will do (tu)

I am assuming your first comment is being said "tongue in cheek" You are correct can't prove it but if you want to promote the brand which is Rangers FC taking the shops of the high street is not a good commercial decision. With the run to Manchester last year the shops would have made a killing and I am not sure we saw that benefit coming back from JJB.

Regarding point 3 I agree with you, I just did not express it properly. Lot of good young talent my definition of "development" was bring them through to the first team.

We do deserve better, however, I will not support this campaign as I want Murray out - nothing less will do.

MURRAY OUT NOW!!!

I want Murry out pronto aswell but he wont walk away and there is no buyer on the horizon.

Least we can do is shame him in to action until he does us all a favour and finally packs up.

I reckon this could force him out the door as soon as if not quicker than a 'Murray GTF' campaign.

The reason being is he relishes a challenge and would fight tooth and nail if it was a direct 'get tae fuck' request.

His comments tonight treated the campaign with scorn.......again.

He's laughing at the Trust, treating them with contempt, taunting them with his "there's no real businessmen there" comment.

Direct action is required, no fumbling about the peripherals.

We've been told it's not a 'Murray Out' campaign. Well what is it? A "please can you help us even though you've shafted us for years and we know you want to go - and have our best interests at heart - but won't go" campaign?

Sorry, not for me.

MURRAY OUT NOW!

here is a bit more detail

RANGERS fans groups today launched a "We Deserve Better" campaign to try and pile the pressure on the club's board.

Chairman Sir David Murray's decision to sell off one of his leading players this month to balance the books has been met with a furious reaction from some Gers fans - who held a banner during last night's win over St Johnstone asking him to quit the club.

The agreed sale of striker Kris Boyd to Birmingham City in a £3.8m deal was the final straw for many and various groups such as the Rangers Supporters Trust and the Blue Order have now issued a statement urging supporters clubs and fans to unite and let the club know their feelings.

advertisementTrust chief David Edgar said today: "This isn't a campaign to get the chairman out or anything like that.

"We know he is in a situation where he hasn't been able to find a buyer for the club but we want to know what direction the club is moving in and we're looking for improvements."

The statement lists areas in which he says supporters are concerned with and want explanations and they are as follows;

- Only 2 league titles in 8 seasons

- Only 2 cups won in last 3 full seasons

- Losing to the worst European opponents faced since Valletta in 1983

- A state of the art training facility, yet no advancements in technique or set plays

- No discernible strategic vision, either on or off the pitch

- No long-term transfer or team-building plan

- Only two youth players (McGregor and Hutton) of genuine quality produced in the last decade

- Selling first team players to cover losses previously made on fringe players

- Consistent failure to move fringe players on for reasonable transfer fees

- Lucrative pay-offs for failed players - Failure to profit from our most lucrative ever season

- Failure to engage with or interact with the support in any meaningful way

- Treating Rangers fans with disdain as customers instead of valuing and working with them as supporters and part of the Rangers family

- Inability to either attract inward investment, or to convince fans to invest in any meaningful way

- Reduction in the status of our club from leading football force in the land, to almost social pariah status through a failure to challenge those seeking to link Rangers with sectarianism

- A PR operation which only acts when senior club figures are personally criticised and all too often fails to defend the Rangers support

- Fan morale lower than at any time in the past 24 years

PERFECT Mr Murray take notice and GTF

MURRAY OUT NOW!!!

His comments tonight treated the campaign with scorn.......again.

He's laughing at the Trust, treating them with contempt, taunting them with his "there's no real businessmen there" comment.

Direct action is required, no fumbling about the peripherals.

We've been told it's not a 'Murray Out' campaign. Well what is it? A "please can you help us even though you've shafted us for years and we know you want to go - and have our best interests at heart - but won't go" campaign?

Sorry, not for me.

MURRAY OUT NOW!

Perhaps you can help all us Muray supporters by teling us how many Business men - (and for definition running a business with greater than £10M) the RST have and if there are these people where is the actual, constructive plan to get us through these difficult times?

He can start by appopinting the right personel for their job, Martin Bain simply doesn't have the right credentials to do the job he is supposed to be doing. We have seen fringe player after fringe player leave for nothing or worse be paid off, while accross the city Liewell has been fetching sums like £2million for guys like Craig Beattie, that is mismanagement of the highest degree and Murray has overseen this every step of the way. He also appointed Kenny Scott who has treated the support like lepers, I have never known another ground where the match day experience is so heavily handed with regards to stewarding etc etc. On to the current management team - Murray stated at the last AGM that to operate within our financial means in the future we'll have to bleed youngsters through the system. That is a contradiction in itself when he has Smith at the helm.

Regarding finances he has put in to the club, the only injection that I'm aware of is the £50million shares issue he underwrote which considering was down to his severe mismanagement was the only viable option he had, had he not his reputation would be in tatters. We keep hearing he funded 9IAR, club deck, Gazza, Laudrup etc etc which is complete balderdash, it was gate receipts, merchandicing and catering which fueled this success. Indeed, nearer the end of 9IAR Rangers had somewhere in the region of £30million credit. A murkier area to delve in to is how much Murray international metals gained from the building of the club deck! why did it cost four times the initial estimate ? Who gained financially as a result of the sale of the car park ? Who gained financially at the sale of Edmiston House to Murray's company where he set up shop ? (and left us with a portokabin for a ticket office) Who gained from outsourcing our catering to Azure (who Murray was a major shareholder at the time) ?

I won't profess to know the minutae of Murray's finances, but I'd say on the whole the man has been good to us. If anything we have been too successful under Murray with 9IAR and witnessing some brilliant players like Gazza, Laudrup etc come to Ibrox. Not many would have been bemoaning him back then for his personnel selections. I doubt you get to be a multi-millionaire business mogul making silly decisions.

As for the sale of players, if you look at Celtic handing £30k a week contracts to Balde, probably close to that for Donati (plus his £2.5 million transfer fee), Gravesen, Dui Wei, Adam Virgo, Glenn Loovens, Scott Brown will end up costing over £12 million if you add his transfer fee+ contract you really do see that a lot of the time they are no better than us with their signings. Even getting shot of Beattie for £1.25 million (+£500k depending on appearances) doesn't tell the whole story as strikers usually command more money, and especially young strikers who have been capped.

Rangers are being crippled by poor players on long contracts, efforts are being made to put an end to this. I'm sure a lot of clubs would love to chop 5-10 players, but I'm sure a lot of businesses right now would love to do that and it isn't easy to do legally or morally. If Rangers could sell Adam, Gow, McCulloch etc they would, but nobody wants them. That doesn't mean they are shite, it just means every other club is cutting its cloth accordingly.

For me while I have no malice towards Murray like some protesters I don't think embarrassing yourself, him and the club is going to find a buyer any quicker. Times are hard and it's times like this you support the club, fair enough you don't have to rejoice in Murray's name, but people need to realise that as the chairman he can't just get up and 'go' like a manager could.

The points made in the original statement are all fine but reading the chairmans statement this morning he obviously still hasn't frogiven the asset stripper nonsense of a few months ago and has no interest in speaking to the RST.

Without any meaningful dialogue and with the RSA speaking out against this it is doomed form the start…..