Did John Greig ever stick his fingers up to Rangers fans during a game?

Tontospal

I read the other day that Spiers wrote in the Herald of an incident when he was at Ibrox in his younger days and Greig gestured to the fans when they were on his back towards the end of his career.

This was the first I had heard of this and if it happened I am surprised, not only at the act but more so as I have never heard of it before.

Can anyone confirm whether this happened or, as Greig told Spiers, he simply made it up.

I remember Cammy Fraser doing it to the Govan in the early 80s, never heard of Grieg doing it before.

Cammy Fraser done it towards the govan front on the 15th Dec 1984 after scoring against St.Mirren in a 2-0 victory in the league.This resulted in a bizarre situation where the Govan were giving him pelters and the Copland were singing his praises.

The next week the bold Cammy was appointed captain for a game against the filth at parkhead and missed a penalty(Bonner saved) in a 1-1 draw in the league(Davie Cooper scored).

If the Copland and Govan went ahead after the game i remained neutral(coward) as i was in the East Enclosure that day and stayed well away from bear fighting bear(handbags)

John Greig is a C***, my uncle asked him for an autograph when he was about 10 and he just told him to "F*** off". Although a Rangers legend I have no respect for the man.

You never had an off day?

Usually he is a Gent. Am quite surprised by that to be honest.

John Greig is a C***, my uncle asked him for an autograph when he was about 10 and he just told him to "F*** off". Although a Rangers legend I have no respect for the man.

I got his autograph a few times, he was always pleasant, but he did attract loads of autograph hunters.

I remember Cammy Fraser doing it to the Govan in the early 80s, never heard of Grieg doing it before.

Cammy Fraser done it towards the govan front on the 15th Dec 1984 after scoring against St.Mirren in a 2-0 victory in the league.This resulted in a bizarre situation where the Govan were giving him pelters and the Copland were singing his praises.

The next week the bold Cammy was appointed captain for a game against the filth at parkhead and missed a penalty(Bonner saved) in a 1-1 draw in the league(Davie Cooper scored).

If the Copland and Govan went ahead after the game i remained neutral(coward) as i was in the East Enclosure that day and stayed well away from bear fighting bear(handbags)

I was in the Copeland that day and believe it or not there was a few scuffles after the game.

After that it was always Cammy Cammy give us a wave.....great days

Guest Andypendek

Anyone remember the difference in Cammy after Souness took over? It was like a different man entirely. His freekicks were awesome as well, not something I remember from pre-Souness either. What a shame injury got him, too.

Is this another example of Britney demonstrating her limited knowledge of history or is it just the usual ignorant shite we have all come to expect from this cottage boy? Cammy Fraser is the only player I can recall doing this.

John "Bomber" Brown gave the Rangers fans the two-fingers at Dens Park in 85/86 whilst also scoring a hat-trick against us.

Never liked the cunt after that, even when he signed for us.

I was in the Copeland that day and believe it or not there was a few scuffles after the game.

After that it was always Cammy Cammy give us a wave.....great days

I was in the Govan front that day towards the Broomloan which was where Fraser directed his ire. I have never seen my father lose it at a game before, or since that day, but on that day he was so disgusted with Fraser I thought he'd never go back to Ibrox. I never saw any scuffles but I did see men pulling up young guys who were singing 'only Tims in the Govan' after the game and 'correcting' them, so to speak.

You have no respect for one of the greatest ever Rangers players because of such a trivial matter ? , Everywhere he went thousands of people must have been asking for autographs.

How pathetic.

If John Greig had ever stuck two fingers up at our support, you can bet your bottom dollar that this thread would not be the only thing you could find on the internet about it, after a couple of minutes of googling research.

It'd be pretty big news, I think, seeing as he is the ultimate legend.

So, no, I don't believe a word of it.