Did John Greig ever stick his fingers up to Rangers fans during a game?

Tontospal

I read the other day that Spiers wrote in the Herald of an incident when he was at Ibrox in his younger days and Greig gestured to the fans when they were on his back towards the end of his career.

This was the first I had heard of this and if it happened I am surprised, not only at the act but more so as I have never heard of it before.

Can anyone confirm whether this happened or, as Greig told Spiers, he simply made it up.

Tonto,

Speirs wrote about it in the book "It's Rangers for Me", not the Herald. Last year I asked an old-timer Bluenose at work whether he knew anything about it. He swears he remembers being at Ibrox and seeing Greig flicking a V-sign to fans in what's now the Govan stand (it was the Centenary stand back then). Seems Greig was having a stinker of a game and got fed up with all the stick he was getting.

I was at the Cammy Fraser game others have mentioned. I was in the Copland Road, and looking back I can't believe I was sitting at Ibrox chanting "there's only Tims in the Govan!"

Cheers.

A wee story about Mr Greig told to me by my grandfather!

I was about 3 years old and had been playing outside while he was looking after me. Anyway, I fell & cut myself on an old saw or something like that. He decided it best to get me checked out, & as it was late, the docs were shut so he whipped me up to A & E.

When we went in, there was one other couple there, a man and his wife, who was in some agony herself. Anyway, after a while the nurse came & asked who was next. Despite the other couple being first, the man insisted that we went first! Obviously my grandad thanked he man & off we went. It was only on the way out that my grandad recognised the guy as being John Greig!

I never got a chance to say this at the time, so I'll say it now. Thanks a fuckin bunch Greigy.....I seriously could have waited another 20 mins before getting that fuckin big needle in my arse ya chicken shit! :lol: Seriously though...it's a true story! Gentleman John my grandad always called him after that!