Murray Park Article - Herald

nvager

First time poster..

Excellent article by Broadfoot, although the 'good enough, young enough' quote from Sinclair certainly does not seem to be too accurate. I am sure that if the likes of Daily, McCulloch, Adam etc were not taking up the fringe spots, the likes of Aaron, Fleck etc would definitely get their chance, although time will tell if they are going to get the appearances.

Thankfully, and I never thought I would say this, the under 21 rule is still in place, because without we would have a bench of Daily, Whittaker, McCulloch, Adam, Beasley and co every week, without fail!

The issue with Murray Park is not a lack of anything technical or facilities wise - it ranks among the finest training facilities in Europe. The resources at MP are simply not being put to their best use. For all that we have this gem of a facility , aswell as "Sports Scientist" Adam Owen there isn't a marked difference in the fitness and stamina of the Rangers first XI compared to your average SPL side. It could be argued that in some cases , for example the likes of Dundee Utd , we come up short in terms of player fitness.

There is also the matter of technique and there is no doubt that with such deluxe training surroundings our squad should demonstrate much greater proficiency in terms of passing , first touch and so on. Our set-pieces in particular are very poor. How many times have you seen a Rangers player take a throw-in , only for the return pass to run straight out of play? How many corners taken , only for the ball so be inside our half 10 seconds later as the opposition counter-attack with ease?

All this , before we even come to the matter of our Reserve side , and the opportunity (or lack thereof) to progress from the Reserve team into the senior side. Spaces in the side which need filling are most often taken up by players who are accustomed to different positions , while youth players that are tailor-made continue to wait in the wings. This results in arrested development of the youth players involved and by the time the chance is given , that player may have gone somewhat stale.

The problem is not Murray Park , as I'm sure most Bears will know. It is a throughly modern facility that will not bear fruit from outdated training structures and methods.

Interesting article, theres a lot of points one which stuck out for me was Not all of them have the metality to play in front of 50,000 every other week,although they have the talent.

my question is.......... how do they know till the boys have played in front of large crowds a few times,its like anything else in life you can be very nervous the first couple of times but once you get used to it it becomes second nature, I dont really buy into that statement,just give the boys a go and see.

Regardless what happens with this season, Walter has to go.

Who we bring in has to have fresh ideas and a good record in bringing through youth players, and able to work with a budget.

We'll have to look long a hard to bring somebody like that in.

I've been very critical when his name has been mentioned in the past, but Levein does tick all the boxes.

Who we bring in has to have fresh ideas and a good record in bringing through youth players, and able to work with a budget.

I've been very critical when his name has been mentioned in the past, but Levein does tick all the boxes.

Levien to me, is just a carry on of Walters one dimensional stubborn way.

IMO We need to think outside the box, and look outside the British isles for a Manager.

bring in someone who has fresh ideas, is willing to give youth a chance, has to work with a budget

did 4 big heads in the dressing room and more than half the gers support not chase out someone EXACTLY like this 2 years ago onfence.gif

IMO We need to think outside the box, and look outside the British isles for a Manager.

Why does nationality matter?

Levein is pretty much the polar opposite of Smith.

For one we need somebody atleast outside of Scotland to come in, so he has a fresh pair of eyes towards the squad, training methods and ideas of players outside our own domestic league.

Levien comes in, it's the old build a team round the old clique routine.

bring in someone who has fresh ideas, is willing to give youth a chance, has to work with a budget

did 4 big heads in the dressing room and more than half the gers support not chase out someone EXACTLY like this 2 years ago onfence.gif

Exactly, they were wrong hopefully they have learned we need to go down this road.

all this talk about a manager with new ideas about training, youth players etc

WE CHASED OUT A MAN OF THIS VERY NATURE BECAUSE HE WASNT "RANGERS" ENOUGH

FFS I WAS ONE OF PLG'S BIGGEST FANS and while it hurt how bad in scotland he was at the start in europe he was looking the part

PLG would have succeded in scotland eventually and the club would be FAR better off than it is the now

For one we need somebody atleast outside of Scotland to come in, so he has a fresh pair of eyes towards the squad, training methods and ideas of players outside our own domestic league.

And what if that fails?

If we go contential we have two choices: go after an old head who will come in and probably not stay for a long time ior go after a young manager who might not adapt and struggle to get his ideas across ala PLG.

As I said I'm not Levein's biggest fan, and in an ideal world he wouldn't be my choice.

However I think that at this moment in time he is our best bet.

And what if that fails?

If we go contential we have two choices: go after an old head who will come in and probably not stay for a long time ior go after a young manager who might not adapt and struggle to get his ideas across ala PLG.

As I said I'm not Levein's biggest fan, and in an ideal world he wouldn't be my choice.

then were fucked as he only knows how to find players who are willing to up the stakes playing big teams in scotland

remember he's not beaten hamilton this season onfence.gif

For one we need somebody atleast outside of Scotland to come in so he has a fresh pair of eyes towards the squad, training methods and ideas of players outside our own domestic league.

And what if that fails?

No manager is going to stay longer than 4 years and that included levein, plus we have no Guarantee's he would work out.

IMO Levien would just be a continuation of Walter papering over the cracks.

If we get somebody from the continent, he would change everything from our youth set up to our 1st team. scouting system would be changed etc

We need a Clear Out from a fresh pair of eyes.

The issue with Murray Park is not a lack of anything technical or facilities wise - it ranks among the finest training facilities in Europe. The resources at MP are simply not being put to their best use. For all that we have this gem of a facility , aswell as "Sports Scientist" Adam Owen there isn't a marked difference in the fitness and stamina of the Rangers first XI compared to your average SPL side. It could be argued that in some cases , for example the likes of Dundee Utd , we come up short in terms of player fitness.

There is also the matter of technique and there is no doubt that with such deluxe training surroundings our squad should demonstrate much greater proficiency in terms of passing , first touch and so on. Our set-pieces in particular are very poor. How many times have you seen a Rangers player take a throw-in , only for the return pass to run straight out of play? How many corners taken , only for the ball so be inside our half 10 seconds later as the opposition counter-attack with ease?

All this , before we even come to the matter of our Reserve side , and the opportunity (or lack thereof) to progress from the Reserve team into the senior side. Spaces in the side which need filling are most often taken up by players who are accustomed to different positions , while youth players that are tailor-made continue to wait in the wings. This results in arrested development of the youth players involved and by the time the chance is given , that player may have gone somewhat stale.

The problem is not Murray Park , as I'm sure most Bears will know. It is a throughly modern facility that will not bear fruit from outdated training structures and methods.

Spot on. The lack of youths that have been produced is only one aspect of the badly utilised Murray Park, which Mr Broadfoot, is not a youth academy.

But I don't see why could Levein not be that fresh pair of eyes?

Throughout his career he's shown that he can spot a player for peanuts. He's shown that ego's mean nothing to him and he has shown that he is as good as they come when it comes to getting results (Hamilton aside :P) in this league.

I have the feeling that we will just have to agree to disagree on this one :lol:

Throughout his career he's shown that he can spot a player for peanuts. He's shown that ego's mean nothing to him and he has shown that he is as good as they come when it comes to getting results (Hamilton aside :P) in this league.

I have the feeling that we will just have to agree to disagree on this one :lol:

I just don't feel he's the right man to change everything that is wrong with Rangers.

Yeah we'll need agree to disagree on this one :cheers:

with levein we could be sure he'd have a good team in scotland but thats it!

we need a manager who has HAD to work with yout before so that they can come in and fix the mess the club is in

the first team isnt the main issue at rangers at the moment, were only 5 points behind but we have better goals for and against than the tims, wait till they hit a rough patch

the main issue is that everything from below the starting 11 we have is totally fucked up and needs wiped clean and started again

and that can only be done by a foreign manager imo

and that can only be done by a foreign manager imo

While a manager who is willing to give players a break is important, I believe that if we want to get the youth set up right we need a man with a proven track record of doing that.

We are in desperate need of a Jim Cassell or a Dario Gradi if the talent at Murray Park is truly going to excell.

I've said it befroe and I'll say it again, but we truly missed the boat when we let the tims snatch John Park from Hibs.