SDM: I'm not saying sorry .. this is reality

the sentiments are fine, although I think it could have been handled better, as I said above Frankie

I doubt many fans would disagree with the sentiments in the statement but it certainly seems only to highlight the problems we're all aware of as opposed to offering workable solutions.

Certainly it's better than a generic banner in showing the problems to the non-online fan but the Trust may have been better advised to find high net worth (or high profile ex-players for example) supporters of the campaign (which they may have to be fair) before publicly commenting.

The campaign seems somewhat rushed and without offered solutions for the problems they talk about then it's credibility can be questioned all too easily. As such it won't be easy to get the wider support on board without a focal point to rally behind.

Only the next few months will see if it is successful.

Absolutely, thats my take, it can, and has, been dismissed as a minority moaning, regardless of the fact that the majority want to see changes, and future plans and ambitions.

The ex-player part would have been ideal, and made the whole thing far more professional. As is stands, to me, it comes across oo much like a spoilt child saying "I want I want, its so unfair", to paraphrase.

Offering workable solutions is the ideal way to force someones hand, and also, force it in the right way

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, thats my take, it can, and has, been dismissed as a minority moaning, regardless of the fact that the majority want to see changes, and future plans and ambitions.

The ex-player part would have been ideal, and made the whole thing far more professional. As is stands, to me, it comes across oo much like a spoilt child saying "I want I want, its so unfair", to paraphrase.

Offering workable solutions is the ideal way to force someones hand, and also, force it in the right way

There's actually a good article on another site suggesting it's not the campaign that should be offering the solutions but Murray given his retort this morning.

That's fair enough but it would certainly make the campaign more credible (and increase its chances of success) if alternatives were offered.

the sentiments are fine, although I think it could have been handled better, as I said above Frankie

I doubt many fans would disagree with the sentiments in the statement but it certainly seems only to highlight the problems we're all aware of as opposed to offering workable solutions.

Certainly it's better than a generic banner in showing the problems to the non-online fan but the Trust may have been better advised to find high net worth (or high profile ex-players for example) supporters of the campaign (which they may have to be fair) before publicly commenting.

The campaign seems somewhat rushed and without offered solutions for the problems they talk about then it's credibility can be questioned all too easily. As such it won't be easy to get the wider support on board without a focal point to rally behind.

As we should all be aware by now, whatever the RST does will be criticised from some quarter.

Some have said it is far too pro-Murray, others that it is needlessly anti-Murray.

Every statement it has released has been criticised and this is only to be expected. People will always find fault where they want to.

However, the bigger picture is this. The club has failed lamentably over the past 8 years and not all of this is down to gross financial mismanagement. Why should we accept the excuse that we do not deserve any better because 'the club is for sale'? Would a supporters group such as the RST not be failing in its responsibilities if it sat back and remained silent?

This situation has existed for at least three years and may continue for years to come.

I think that the RST is correct in de-personalising the issue and campaigning that second-best simply will not do.

As for 'solutions', well, some of the points made in the RST's statement lead naturally to solutions via improved performance. But we pay a manager over £1m a year and a Chief Executive £668,000 and have a right to demand that they come up with solutions. Or, that SDM does.

As for the ex-player, I think this is a good idea. It is known that some of the older former players are highly critical of the current regime, but their names may not resonate with younger fans. I think the RST would ideally need a 9IAR-era legend but these guys have been notoriously reluctant to criticise SDM in the past.

Sam:

When attempting to take the debate to a wider audience or to gain support from external influences, it is imperative that a full argument is put forward.

As it stands the initial statement makes a reasonable introduction to the issue for most fans. Most of the points are fair, accurate and worthy of examination. But it has to do more than list grievances to catalyse change. Even (or especially) if SDM is dismissing it this morning. You can be sure he'll have a long list of ex-players to come to his aid.

As such, if the Trust are serious about the issue they need to address that immediately or the campaign may lose any initial momentum it does have.

As we should all be aware by now, whatever the RST does will be criticised from some quarter.

Some have said it is far too pro-Murray, others that it is needlessly anti-Murray.

Every statement it has released has been criticised and this is only to be expected. People will always find fault where they want to.

However, the bigger picture is this. The club has failed lamentably over the past 8 years and not all of this is down to gross financial mismanagement. Why should we accept the excuse that we do not deserve any better because 'the club is for sale'? Would a supporters group such as the RST not be failing in its responsibilities if it sat back and remained silent?

This situation has existed for at least three years and may continue for years to come.

I think that the RST is correct in de-personalising the issue and campaigning that second-best simply will not do.

As for 'solutions', well, some of the points made in the RST's statement lead naturally to solutions via improved performance. But we pay a manager over £1m a year and a Chief Executive £668,000 and have a right to demand that they come up with solutions. Or, that SDM does.

As for the ex-player, I think this is a good idea. It is known that some of the older former players are highly critical of the current regime, but their names may not resonate with younger fans. I think the RST would ideally need a 9IAR-era legend but these guys have been notoriously reluctant to criticise SDM in the past.

You missed the point Frankie and I were discussing mate. Its not peoples views on the trust, nor the fact that maybe there should be obvious solutions, its HOW it was done. It came across in a manner that could, and was, easily dismissed by the club, and again, makes supporters look bad in the media. Of course the club should be doing more, shoing ambition, and plans for the future, but the point here was, if the RST (or anyone else for that matter) had done so in a consrtuctive manner, offering potential solutions, then, it would have been far far better. They could have said, "How about trying this? and, "perhaps this is a good idea", but, instead it was a simple list of complaints that are common knowledge.

Their names shouldnt have to resonate with younger fans (although, younger fans, imho should KNOW club legends, regardless of era, but thats another topic), it has to resonate with the CLUB, with the media. Having those sort of people backing a campaign/proposal lends massive weight to it, instantly, it is no longer a "group of supporters complaining", but, a proactive supporters effort to improve the fortunes of the club, and the relationship between the fans and the club.

See how much better that is? You would not get a dismissive press release from Murray that way, as HE would look terrible in the public eye doing so.

You missed the point Frankie and I were discussing mate. Its not peoples views on the trust, nor the fact that maybe there should be obvious solutions, its HOW it was done. It came across in a manner that could, and was, easily dismissed by the club, and again, makes supporters look bad in the media.

Dunno, our office dhim just said to me that minty's response is ridiculous and the original statement was fair comment.

He also noticed minty's attempt to deflect the issues on to the credit crunch.

Sam:

When attempting to take the debate to a wider audience or to gain support from external influences, it is imperative that a full argument is put forward.

As it stands the initial statement makes a reasonable introduction to the issue for most fans. Most of the points are fair, accurate and worthy of examination. But it has to do more than list grievances to catalyse change. Even (or especially) if SDM is dismissing it this morning. You can be sure he'll have a long list of ex-players to come to his aid.

As such, if the Trust are serious about the issue they need to address that immediately or the campaign may lose any initial momentum it does have.

I think that is is in a nutshell

There is a part of me that thinks this would be even more productive with a 3rd party involved, almost a neutral. From the premise that the relationship between the fans and the club has broken down, perhaps we need councilling. I know that sounds silly, but, you would do it with a marriage, and, as things stand, whatever the club says is rubbished by the fans, and, vice versa.

The trust needs, on this topic I feel, to attempt, no succeed, to work with other supporters groups, and the club, but in a consrtuctive manner. "How can WE make this better?" would be a fantastic slogan, moreso than we deserve. Its proactive, and, has everyones best interests at heart

im interested in how you have reached this figure can you divulge any further?

I don't know what you mean about 'divulging' further.

The facts are contained in the accounts issued annually.

The ENIC share issue and the Dave King/Murray injection came at the end of the 9IAR sequence.

Are you an accountant who reviewed the 9 years worth of books ?

i think he is

You missed the point Frankie and I were discussing mate. Its not peoples views on the trust, nor the fact that maybe there should be obvious solutions, its HOW it was done. It came across in a manner that could, and was, easily dismissed by the club, and again, makes supporters look bad in the media.

Dunno, our office dhim just said to me that minty's response is ridiculous and the original statement was fair comment.

He also noticed minty's attempt to deflect the issues on to the credit crunch.

haha, "office dhim"

I can see that, I just think the original statement lacks any positive options or suggestions, as such, the response should have been expected, it was put on a plate for him to dismiss and deflect

You missed the point Frankie and I were discussing mate. Its not peoples views on the trust, nor the fact that maybe there should be obvious solutions, its HOW it was done. It came across in a manner that could, and was, easily dismissed by the club, and again, makes supporters look bad in the media. Of course the club should be doing more, shoing ambition, and plans for the future, but the point here was, if the RST (or anyone else for that matter) had done so in a consrtuctive manner, offering potential solutions, then, it would have been far far better. They could have said, "How about trying this? and, "perhaps this is a good idea", but, instead it was a simple list of complaints that are common knowledge.

Their names shouldnt have to resonate with younger fans (although, younger fans, imho should KNOW club legends, regardless of era, but thats another topic), it has to resonate with the CLUB, with the media. Having those sort of people backing a campaign/proposal lends massive weight to it, instantly, it is no longer a "group of supporters complaining", but, a proactive supporters effort to improve the fortunes of the club, and the relationship between the fans and the club.

See how much better that is? You would not get a dismissive press release from Murray that way, as HE would look terrible in the public eye doing so.

The effectiveness or otherwise of the statement issued yesterday is a matter of opinion. I happen to believe that the main objective - that of publicity - has been achieved. Looking around other messageboards I reckon your view is very much in the minority.

No offence, but I think the people within the RST have devoted some thought to this and know what they are doing.

Murray's custodianship at Ibrox is now a talking-point and more attention will be focused on activities during the transfer window.

Would that as much scrupulous analysis had been made of SDM's recent press comments. Full of glaring contradictions and 'it wisnae my fault - blame Walter'-type comments, they hardly show a man in full control. As usual, he seems more intent on defending himself rather than addressing the long-term future of the club.

An initial statement which by the very nature of the modern media must be shorter than an A4 sheet is obviously designed to get people talking and thinking. After all, the Scottish media was hardly ever likely to set the ball rolling.

In subsequent releases, perhaps the RST will focus on possible solutions.

However, I would have thought it implicit in much of what the RST said that there is a lack of football-related expertise at the top level of the club and that this is reflected in poor decision-making.

The effectiveness or otherwise of the statement issued yesterday is a matter of opinion. I happen to believe that the main objective - that of publicity - has been achieved. Looking around other messageboards I reckon your view is very much in the minority.

No offence, but I think the people within the RST have devoted some thought to this and know what they are doing.

Murray's custodianship at Ibrox is now a talking-point and more attention will be focused on activities during the transfer window.

Would that as much scrupulous analysis had been made of SDM's recent press comments. Full of glaring contradictions and 'it wisnae my fault - blame Walter'-type comments, they hardly show a man in full control. As usual, he seems more intent on defending himself rather than addressing the long-term future of the club.

An initial statement which by the very nature of the modern media must be shorter than an A4 sheet is obviously designed to get people talking and thinking. After all, the Scottish media was hardly ever likely to set the ball rolling.

However, I would have thought it implicit in much of what the RST said that there is a lack of football-related expertise at the top level of the club and that this is reflected in poor decision-making.

It's a shame that the same thought wasn't used when calling him an asset stripper and making other ridiculous accusations a few months ago that ended the dialouge with the club and meant they couldn represent the people who are memebers of the trust properly.

Sadly the judgement of the trust at this time needs to be called into question

The effectiveness or otherwise of the statement issued yesterday is a matter of opinion. I happen to believe that the main objective - that of publicity - has been achieved. Looking around other messageboards I reckon your view is very much in the minority. - Maybe I have higher expectations than other football fans? most seem happy to see other fans complaining to the press, and expect someone else to come up with the solutions.

No offence, but I think the people within the RST have devoted some thought to this and know what they are doing. - None taken, am sure they did, doesn't mean they didnt get it wrong, or at least, not as effective as it could have been.

Would that as much scrupulous analysis had been made of SDM's recent press comments. Full of glaring contradictions and 'it wisnae my fault - blame Walter'-type comments, they hardly show a man in full control. As usual, he seems more intent on defending himself rather than addressing the long-term future of the club. - to be fair, Murray has NO long term future at the club, moaning at him will give him even less drive to do any more than just keep it ticking over

An initial statement which by the very nature of the modern media must be shorter than an A4 sheet is obviously designed to get people talking and thinking. After all, the Scottish media was hardly ever likely to set the ball rolling. - True, so, the last line should have been along the lines of, "we would like to begin discussions as to how we can improve on the above issues, and help to move the club onwards and upwards" or something along those lines. Finish on a high, positive note

In subsequent releases, perhaps the RST will focus on possible solutions. - I hope so, but it may be too little too late, when you couple that statement, and its responses, with the image of solitary banner at the game, it looks to everyone bar us, that this is a minority that feels this way

Looking around other messageboards I reckon your view is very much in the minority.

It's not messageboards the Trust need to reach RE: the club future. That's been done by and large - even if their reputation has faltered slightly in that regard.

I agree any media statement had to be reasonably concise but it still should have been linked to an immediate thesis on the improvements the campaign sought and ideas therein. If this was backed by high-net worth fans and ex-players then the credibility would be much higher. Imagine the pressure the chairman would be under then given his eccentric and flawed response so far.

Now more depth to the campaign aims and evidence may well still happen but the clock is ticking.

Looking around other messageboards I reckon your view is very much in the minority.

It's not messageboards the Trust need to reach RE: the club future. That's been done by and large - even if their reputation has faltered slightly in that regard.

I agree any media statement had to be reasonably concise but it still should have been linked to an immediate thesis on the improvements the campaign sought and ideas therein. If this was backed by high-net worth fans and ex-players then the credibility would be much higher. Imagine the pressure the chairman would be under then given his eccentric and flawed response so far.

Now more depth to the campaign aims and evidence may well still happen but the clock is ticking.

'High net-worth fans' and 'ex-players' (at least younger ones) have had 5 years to get on board with the RST.

It is very easy to blame the RST, but just once in a while we have to ask questions of our support and former heroes.

I sense that there was a timing factor behind the RST's statement, coming as it did in the middle of a transfer window which was presaged by an alarming statement from SDM. Should it have waited until the end of the season when it would be accused of being wise 'in hindsight'?

Now we may quibble about the wording of the sttaement, but it's central message is clear: to paraphrase, 'Houston, we have a problem.' Many fans are simply still in denial - even a brief scan through this messageboard shows that some have swallowed the Murray myths and feel threatened when these are questioned.

Far, far better to get fans talking about the way the club has been run than to avoid the situation altogether.

im interested in how you have reached this figure can you divulge any further?

I don't know what you mean about 'divulging' further.

The facts are contained in the accounts issued annually.

The ENIC share issue and the Dave King/Murray injection came at the end of the 9IAR sequence.

Are you an accountant who reviewed the 9 years worth of books ?

i think he is

Fair play to him then....... :smile:

'High net-worth fans' and 'ex-players' (at least younger ones) have had 5 years to get on board with the RST.

It is very easy to blame the RST, but just once in a while we have to ask questions of our support and former heroes.

I sense that there was a timing factor behind the RST's statement, coming as it did in the middle of a transfer window which was presaged by an alarming statement from SDM. Should it have waited until the end of the season when it would be accused of being wise 'in hindsight'?

Now we may quibble about the wording of the sttaement, but it's central message is clear: to paraphrase, 'Houston, we have a problem.' Many fans are simply still in denial - even a brief scan through this messageboard shows that some have swallowed the Murray myths and feel threatened when these are questioned.

Far, far better to get fans talking about the way the club has been run than to avoid the situation altogether.

No-one is blaming the RST. Questions most certainly should be asked of the club.

I also believe the Trust does/did have many high-net worth fans and ex-players as members (honorary or otherwise). It would certainly have been worth canvassing them beforehand for their opinions and to see if they'd consider commenting as well.

Unfortunately, according to DE it seems the Trust board didn't consult the membership before this important change in strategy so that didn't happen.

Regarding timing, well we've all been aware of the problems hindering the club for a long time now so if the Trust were considering such a new aggressive strategy, one would have thought further homework and especially member consultation would have been done to maximise the campaign's chances of success. It seems this has been coming since the summer at least so timing isn't really an valid excuse for what could be seen as poor planning.

As for this messageboard swallowing myths, RM isn't alone in having people open to hearing all sides of the debate. There have been many debates started on this very subject and some well made points from both sides. But, again, it's not message-boards that the RST have to reach.

It's a shame that the same thought wasn't used when calling him an asset stripper and making other ridiculous accusations a few months ago that ended the dialouge with the club and meant they couldn represent the people who are memebers of the trust properly.

Sadly the judgement of the trust at this time needs to be called into question

So we sell our merchandising, ticket sales, albion, and other social clubs mostly to outside companies which he owns therefore not to the best tender but to his companies to enable him to stream money away from the club to his pocket.

Nobody will buy us at the moment as he will not sell these elements where money can be made.

IIRC, here are the details on the above - apologies if some of the info is wrong/out of date. I'm sure Bluedell/boss can help.

- Merchandising

Outsourced to JJB for 10 years. Good financial deal but has been a nightmare commercially. Hopefully the new JJB chair will address after Murray criticism at our AGM. Stuart Cain the club's commercial director has now left the club after less than 18 months in the job.

- Ticket Sales

Partly outsourced to RHL (Murray call centre company). No idea of contract length or finance involved.

- Albion Car Park

Sold to MIH company several years ago for nominal fee. Sure I read somewhere the club were getting it back though again for a nominal fee.

- Edmiston House Social Club

Sold to RHL (MIH company). Can't remember the specifics of the deal but I think it was a market fee.

No-one is blaming the RST. Questions most certainly should be asked of the club.

I also believe the Trust does/did have many high-net worth fans and ex-players as members (honorary or otherwise). It would certainly have been worth canvassing them beforehand for their opinions and to see if they'd consider commenting as well.

Unfortunately, according to DE it seems the Trust board didn't consult the membership before this important change in strategy so that didn't happen.

Regarding timing, well we've all been aware of the problems hindering the club for a long time now so if the Trust were considering such a new aggressive strategy, one would have thought further homework and especially member consultation would have been done to maximise the campaign's chances of success. It seems this has been coming since the summer at least so timing isn't really an valid excuse for what could be seen as poor planning.

As for this messageboard swallowing myths, RM isn't alone in having people open to hearing all sides of the debate. There have been many debates started on this very subject and some well made points from both sides. But, again, it's not message-boards that the RST have to reach.

Just my opinion, but I honestly don't think the RST can afford to waste any more time. Were it not for (what I think at least) was pretty impressive management by McLeish, Celtic would be odds-on favourities to land another 9IAR in a few short months.

As things stand, the reference to having to slash our wage bill in the Express article means that we will be rank outsiders for the foreseeable future.

Many members think that the RST was led up the garden path by Murray and have demanded a stronger stance long before now.

My belief is that the RST's statement was as a direct result of SDM's interviews last week and the implications they have for Rangers' future. I don't think it was 'planned' in advance, so to speak.

SDM surely doesn't think we are this naive.

Its no good crowing about how carefully he is managing the club's finances now we are in this massive hole. The economy was heading toward recession fast back in late August when he was sanctioning Walter's most bizarre transfer activity ever.

He isn't a liar but he knows how to angle away from what he really wants to talk about

he said he would buy an emergency for walter in january if need be

but now we're selling the best players?

also he talks to fans as if they are sh*t on his shoe :2gunsfiring_v1: