Murray: We are NOT going BUST

thanks Dave thats all I needed to hear

Murray: We are NOT going BUST

by Thomas Jordan

SIR DAVID MURRAY today blasted claims that Rangers are about to go to the wall.

The embattled Ibrox supermo finds himself embroiled in a civil war with fans groups yesterday launching a We Deserve Better campaign against his stewardship of the Glasgow giants.

But as well as meeting the accustations of mis-management head on, Murray today clarified the clubs exact financial state as rumours persist that Rangers are on the verge of going into administration.

Murray blasted: "There has been a lot of mischievous reporting in the last week - but we are not going to go bankrupt.We are working within our overdraft facility."

advertisement

Rangers debts are believed to be upwards of £25million. But there is a cash-flow problem with no European revenue this season and the next big injection of money not due until the end of April when the season ticket renewals come around.

The financial black-hole was something Murray always knew was coming. And that is why he took the decision to consider any offers who come in for players in this January window.

Effectively, the entire squad is up for sale, although it is obvious there are certain players Rangers would rather not have to sell.

It is believed that the departure of one top star will be enough to meet the demand for a £3m cash income this month.

Murray explained: "This situation is not new. We have known for a long time that we had too many players.

"We need to get to a situation where we have 20 full-time senior players. Costs have to be controlled. The situation will improve dramatically in the summer when players come to the end of their contracts and it is time for others to move on."

So far, Kris Boyd is the only player to have attracted a concrete bid. Murray sanctioned his £3.8m sale to Birmingham City last week, but the deal collapsed over personal terms.

That deal could still be resurrected, but fans are concerned that if Boyd doesn't go - and no other bids come in - then the financial pressure could lead to major problems.

Murray assured them that is not the case and said of the Boyd situation: "Frankly, it is immaterial whether he stays or goes as far the long-term financial future of the club is concerned. The Boyd situation is simple. We received an offer that we believed, collectively, Walter Smith, manager and Martin Bain, chief executive represented good business.

"The player then refused terms with Birmingham. That is where it stands. But Rangers will go on whether the player goes or not."

But when Murray was pressed on exactly why Rangers were then promoting the sale of the player, he fired: "This was to send a message - that the club could not go on as it is. I had to take steps to let everyone what the situation is."

Publication date 15/01/09 Evening TImes

Again Murray appears to have lost all discipline and credibility with his arguments...

If cash flow was known to be a problem and we had to reduce the playing squad to 20 players why did he sanction to much spending on players since we were knocked out of Europe.

He could and should be drawing a line under all this by accepting responsibility and offering an open forum for debate to address the club's problems.

not many clubs pay full transfer fees up front as well nowadays, so there lies a part of his problem as well

fuck bet villa still havent finished paying off cuellar yet, same with spurs

and the same with us when it comes to miller, lafferty etc

the outgoings every month for transfer installments must be a pain in the ass for murray

we didn't win the title last year arguably because of massive fixture congestion and we didn't win it the year before beacuse the PLG saga fell flat on its face. We were al happy when PLG came and were impressed initially then things went down hill Its not all Murrays fault.

Its easy enough to say Murray must go but whats the point when there is no one there who wants to buy us. We have to work together not against eachother. Cutting ourselves into pieces like this can only cause more damage and more entertainment for our rivals. Mistakes have been made and its easy to criticise but the only way forward is to acknowledge them move on and try and work together.

'We Deserve Better' has certainly stung Murray, well done.

surely the intention was to highlight what the fans see as problems and work with him to improve ...not to "sting" him.......

You are of course correct GCL, but without some personal abuse directed squarely at Murray, he would not even be the slightest bit interested in what the fans had to say. He only acts when the fans get personal with him. Unfortunately, the last time he acted, he blew nearly £10M of cash we didn't have and only deferred the problems to now.

surely the intention was to highlight what the fans see as problems and work with him to improve ...not to "sting" him.......

Indeed, and it has highlighted the problems.

Stinging Minty is just a bonus.

I wish they had managed to get that part into their statement. Many fans will be happy I am sure with simply "stinging" murray, ah well.

This has got a reaction, but, i dont think its the one we could have done with

I wish they had managed to get that part into their statement. Many fans will be happy I am sure with simply "stinging" murray, ah well.

I agree.

If the trust hadn’t went down the old “asset stripper” road I wonder if this campaign would have worked better…I guess we will never know…..

Again Murray appears to have lost all discipline and credibility with his arguments...

If cash flow was known to be a problem and we had to reduce the playing squad to 20 players why did he sanction to much spending on players since we were knocked out of Europe.

Because Rangers as a club need to sign players. Look at the fan reaction right now over the possibility we might not sign anyone this window - it's outrage.

Had we signed no one in the summer you know as well as I do we'd have thrown a major wobbler. We always have a budget to bring in SOME players by default.

Add to that the £8M or so unexpected cash from Cuellar and we had the funds to buy players.

Reducing the squad doesn't mean not signing new ones, it just means reducing the squad. He may have thought we'd get rid of a lot more than we did.

I agree.

If the trust hadn’t went down the old “asset stripper” road I wonder if this campaign would have worked better…I guess we will never know…..

Aye, that was a bit of a schoolboy error that one.

I still actually dont know what this campaign is about, I dont understand what i am to be supporting if I look at this rationally