Are you happy with SDM

MrT

Are you happy with the job SDM is doing  

422 members have voted

1. 1. Vote

• Yes
    • No

The big error's over the last two seasons were by Smith imo. The error during the PLG era was by Murray backing a player over a manager and not backing the manager enough financially in the first place.

That seems a bit of a skewed version of the events haha. He had money, he chose not to spend it. The player over manager situation was also swayed by US. We were very vocal in how unhappy we were with the team performing the way it was,we are are much to blame as murray on le guen, as is the man himself

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am. The fact that he is still here -- ignoring the ignorant 'fans' with their painted bedsheets -- and is concerned with our club being run responsibly says enough for me.

He''s the Chairman -- not the Manager, or the Captain. he has sanctioned spending when we probably should not have. BUT.. he has done it when we needed it. of course, he's in a no win situation. Spend -- gets criticised. Doesn't spend -- gets criticised.

Of course Rangers should be in a better position. But many things in business, sport and life are cyclic. We will be back .. perhaps even this year when we win the title.

Sums up my feelings.

Lets hope the 'Bedsheet Loyal' dont force him to sell to the wrong people.

the bedsheet loyal as you call them will not force him to sell to the wrong people, he has already said there's no one wanting to buy, so we are stuck with him like it or not

The big error's over the last two seasons were by Smith imo. The error during the PLG era was by Murray backing a player over a manager and not backing the manager enough financially in the first place.

That seems a bit of a skewed version of the events haha. He had money, he chose not to spend it. The player over manager situation was also swayed by US. We were very vocal in how unhappy we were with the team performing the way it was,we are are much to blame as murray on le guen, as is the man himself

When did this rumour about Le Guen rejecting cash to buy players turn into fact?

I can just imagine it now. "Hi, Paul, would you like money to sign players?" "No, David, i'm happy pursuing Man Utd reserve players."

When did this rumour about Le Guen rejecting cash to buy players turn into fact?

I can just imagine it now. "Hi, Paul, would you like money to sign players?" "No, David, i'm happy pursuing Man Utd reserve players."

Le Guen always said there was money there if he needed it didnt he? People berated Walter for some of his signings but Sebo was just as bad a purchase at £1.8Million :anguish:

Le Guen always said there was money there if he needed it didnt he? People berated Walter for some of his signings but Sebo was just as bad a purchase at £1.8Million :anguish:

we got SOMETHING back for sebo though

who of smith shite buys are gonna get us a fee, JCD didnt, mcculloch might not, same with beasley, whittaker??????

he has put £60m into the club.

Care to hazard a guess as to how much he has gained ?

That's before the prestige of being chairman of Rangers, the elevated public profile that comes with it has helped his companies.

Nothing?

he has put £60m into the club.

Care to hazard a guess as to how much he has gained ?

That's before the prestige of being chairman of Rangers, the elevated public profile that comes with it has helped his companies.

Nothing?

Err, what about Rangers Football Club?

Owning RFC is nothing?

It wasnt a rumour fella, in as much as he said it himself. He though the squad was capable. Who knows, maybe in 6 months it might have been, he always maintained he still had money to spend

All I can say to this poll is this:

Given that most of my complaints are aimed at Walter Smith and the team in question, I'm really not that sure that I'm unhappy with SDM.

He may not have the same passion for the job he once did, but he's doing it about as well as he used to - and is still managing to fund player signings.

I'm not really sure what more he can do in some peoples' eyes.

More recently, I agree with you.

It's all well and good saying that Murray sanctioned the cash for Smith and hence it's Murray's fault, but how the hell can Murray predict that the manager is going to buy totally unsellable dross?

He might not be able to do that (he's not a football fan) but surely before authorising spend he or Bain should be asking questions and making Waler accountable. Why do you need to spend £7 million on 3 new strikers Walter when we already had about six in the first tem squad? Prioritise, we'll buy Miller but our prioity is getting Davis before Kaunus.

Its fairly easy to be critical of SDM but where would Rangers be right now if he had not bought the club and completely changed Scottish football? Would we have ended up like our city rivals looking for someone like Fergus McCann to rescue our beloved club. Those of you who remember the years before SDM, they were gloomy and fairly fruitless, low crowds and even lower expectations, regularly being beaten to trophies by Aberdeen, sometimes Dundee Utd. No not great times. Look at the trophy haul during the Murray era and the great times of 9 in a row. Did everyone seriously expect that it would last forever? If Murray has been guilty of anything it is that he acted with his heart and the cheque book to chase his and the fans dreams, if he had acted with more common financial sense Rangers would not ended up in debt to the tune of £72 million as we were 4 or 5 years ago but the trophy haul would have been far less.

On the subject of the £72 million debt, when there was a share issue to help ease the debt when it peaked at £72 million, how much was raised by the fans? £1.5 million. How much did SDM distribute between his companies? £55 million. How many of the people who are currently calling for his head bought shares to help the club? How many of those calling for his head enjoyed the cheque book years?

If Rangers were such a fantastic prospect for someone looking to buy a club why has no one come in for them? Thats not SDM`s fault or Walter Smiths. The truth is that not many people would want to own a Scottish football club unless they were fans of said club. The chances of that fan having more money than SDM are even slimmer, and the chances of that fan wanting to spend his hard earned on Rangers are just as slim.

In total SDM`s reign has been good, yes he has made some costly mistakes and some glaring errors but how on earth can he be expected to get everything right? I have had some unbelievable times as a Rangers fan while the club has been in his hands, look back over the years and few have been bad most have been bloody outstanding, Europe has been disappointing on the whole but even then there have been some great highlights.

I am happy with SDM and until someone can come in and do a better job then all well and good, but right now he will do for me, look at the bigger picture is it better to be forthright and say yes we need to sell a player to balance the books this year or stick your head in the sand and ignore it in the hope that it will go away. We are in recession, whether we like it or not financial prudence is needed to keep things ticking along. The cheque book days are long gone, Rangers is a business like it or not. How many of the anti Murray mob run businesses? would you balance the books any differently?

Its fairly easy to be critical of SDM but where would Rangers be right now if he had not bought the club and completely changed Scottish football

It was David Holmes bringing Souness in who 'completely changed Scottish Football'.

Its fairly easy to be critical of SDM but where would Rangers be right now if he had not bought the club and completely changed Scottish football? Would we have ended up like our city rivals looking for someone like Fergus McCann to rescue our beloved club. Those of you who remember the years before SDM, they were gloomy and fairly fruitless, low crowds and even lower expectations, regularly being beaten to trophies by Aberdeen, sometimes Dundee Utd. No not great times. Look at the trophy haul during the Murray era and the great times of 9 in a row. Did everyone seriously expect that it would last forever? If Murray has been guilty of anything it is that he acted with his heart and the cheque book to chase his and the fans dreams, if he had acted with more common financial sense Rangers would not ended up in debt to the tune of £72 million as we were 4 or 5 years ago but the trophy haul would have been far less.

On the subject of the £72 million debt, when there was a share issue to help ease the debt when it peaked at £72 million, how much was raised by the fans? £1.5 million. How much did SDM distribute between his companies? £55 million. How many of the people who are currently calling for his head bought shares to help the club? How many of those calling for his head enjoyed the cheque book years?

If Rangers were such a fantastic prospect for someone looking to buy a club why has no one come in for them? Thats not SDM`s fault or Walter Smiths. The truth is that not many people would want to own a Scottish football club unless they were fans of said club. The chances of that fan having more money than SDM are even slimmer, and the chances of that fan wanting to spend his hard earned on Rangers are just as slim.

In total SDM`s reign has been good, yes he has made some costly mistakes and some glaring errors but how on earth can he be expected to get everything right? I have had some unbelievable times as a Rangers fan while the club has been in his hands, look back over the years and few have been bad most have been bloody outstanding, Europe has been disappointing on the whole but even then there have been some great highlights.

I am happy with SDM and until someone can come in and do a better job then all well and good, but right now he will do for me, look at the bigger picture is it better to be forthright and say yes we need to sell a player to balance the books this year or stick your head in the sand and ignore it in the hope that it will go away. We are in recession, whether we like it or not financial prudence is needed to keep things ticking along. The cheque book days are long gone, Rangers is a business like it or not. How many of the anti Murray mob run businesses? would you balance the books any differently?

Have you heard of David Holmes, who brought in Souness?

In turn, Souness attracted a host of top English stars.

Two-and-a-half years after Souness arrived he suggested to David Murray that he buy the club. Remember that the stadium infrastructure was largely in place - our previous Boards had seen to that - and we had a huge advanatge over other Scottish and, indeed, English clubs.

Murray did well in his first few years and raised Rangers' turnover year by year. No-one disputes this.

However, he then became reckless with the club's finances and we teetered on the brink of bankruptcy.

I believe he lost all ambition for Rangers when Advocaat stood down and the banks told him to do likewise as Chairman.

I think he decided circa 2002 that he was getting out and the club has been rudderless ever since.

He seems incapable of devolving real power to his CE and has now made the same mistakes as previously.

We are told that we need to sell top players this transfer window due to debt largely caused by poor buys and poor fiscal management (not because of the recession, incidentally).

Let's not beat about the bush - if SDM had been a CE and not the club's owner he would have been fired years ago.

This isn't good enough for Rangers.

However, since he is still here, surely it is not unreasonable to ask that certain measures be put in place which would improve the club's performance on and off the field?

BTW, no-one will invest money in Rangers as long as SDM is in control. This is why the share issue in 2004 was not subscribed to by ordinary fans.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that so many still see Murray as the saviour and the only man who can take us forward.

The last few years have shown that this is not the case and if those fams are happy with Murray Rangers then they don't deserve any better than 2/8 titles and 2 cups in 3 years..

ok if murrays not the man then WHO can take us forward all very well this "we (minority)deserve better" but what exactly do you think we should do

we get Murray out WHO do we bring in?

What do you WANT them to do?

you lot are constantly on here bleating about Murray but provide no suitable suggestions as to who should take over and what direction they should take us.

see this fantasy land you guys live in can i get an invitation because everything seems so rosey and uncomplicated in your world i want a piece of that.

I really don't know where to start with this. As others have said the Rangers 'revolution' was started by David Holnes who brought in Souness. As for your comments on the rights issue, why do you think Bears didn't support it? It was due to his years of gross financial mismanagement,why should we have to pay for that? His first 10 years were good because we were livig within our means at that time. Since then, financially, we have been a disaster. How many of thes seasons have been 'bloody outstanding' in the last 10 years? I ask you to look at the bigger picture.

I am. The fact that he is still here -- ignoring the ignorant 'fans' with their painted bedsheets -- and is concerned with our club being run responsibly says enough for me.

He''s the Chairman -- not the Manager, or the Captain. he has sanctioned spending when we probably should not have. BUT.. he has done it when we needed it. of course, he's in a no win situation. Spend -- gets criticised. Doesn't spend -- gets criticised.

Of course Rangers should be in a better position. But many things in business, sport and life are cyclic. We will be back .. perhaps even this year when we win the title.

Whatever it is you've been taking, can you get it on prescription?