'Murray is entitled to dismiss....

Oh, and another thing.

How fucking ironic is it that the writer should attack a well run website when the official Rangers website is so poorly run?

Rant over, I think.

Follow Follow well run?????????????

Heard you get banned for spelling a word rong over there now.

Compared to Rangers.co.uk, FollowFollow looks like SkySports.com.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and another thing.

How fucking ironic is it that the writer should attack a well run website when the official Rangers website is so poorly run?

Rant over, I think.

Compared to Rangers.co.uk, FollowFollow looks like SkySports.com.

Some may say Rangers.co.uk and follow follow are run by the same people.

I however never believe rumours.

'Murray is entitled to dismiss those who won't give their real names'

IF THE disaffected of Ibrox really want their voices heard there is one thing they can do that might help, one thing above all others that might have Sir David Murray, Martin Bain and Walter Smith giving them the time of day. When they go on their websites with their thoughts on the state of the club they could start using their real names instead of the ridiculous monikers they carry on with.

Is it any wonder that Murray and Smith have barely concealed contempt for these people when one of the leading voices on one of the leading fans' forums calls himself Grandmaster Suck?

Murray, and everybody else at Ibrox, is entitled to dismiss as irrelevant the thoughts of somebody who doesn't have the maturity to put his name to a posting. It is absurd that the chairman should be expected to pay attention to a lobby that won't even tell him who they are. If actual names, checked and verified, start appearing at the end of these messages on places like Follow Follow then Murray would sit up and take notice, for certain. You'd be talking about a captive chairman at that point. Once these guys climb out from behind the cloak of anonymity and say to Murray "right, here we are, out in the open" then they might get the respect they believe is lacking right now.

You only had to look at one of these websites last week to realise that those who think that Murray should be taking them seriously are deluded. For instance, would any of these revolutionary voices (a fair chunk of them making absolutely valid points) take to heart any criticism of themselves in their own day jobs if the analysis of their performance was signed by somebody called SpongeBobSquarePants as one of the more cogent evaluations of Rangers' plight was on Follow Follow last week?

Rangers people may indeed Deserve Better as the Rangers Supporters Trust motto goes, but if they feel that strongly about it they could at least identify themselves. They all know that Murray looks at Follow Follow. He complains about it from a position of strength. He checks it out. Quite often, I would suggest. If their club is going down the toilet, if the situation is as grave as all that, then why wouldn't the members stand over their own remarks instead of hiding like children behind nicknames?

Here's what I mean. After the RST made their announcement last week many threads started to appear on the website. The cyber fans formed a queue to endorse the We Deserve Better campaign, each one posting their thoughts. Here's a list of some of the contributors...

Mr Super Bad

The Gunslinger

tartan penguin

TheSnowman

JohnDarwinsCanoe

wordy rappinghood

Franky Four Fingers

Now, seriously, can any of these guys see a day when they're going to get a dialogue going with Murray?

"Ah, Mr Snowman, come in, sit down. Now I've read what you and Mr Canoe, Mr Gunslinger, Mr Penguin and Mr Rappinghood have said and as grown-ups I respect your opinions"

Get in the real world, chaps.

There was also a debate at one point, in the wake of Walter Smith questioning how many fans actually support the RST, and here again we had a long stream of people either saying they were members or saying they were going to join and not one of them appeared to use their real name, unless there's been a massive run on the Deed Poll office headed by Mr Runningbear and Mr Bubablue.

Now, there are people on websites who won't reveal their identity because they are bigots, because they have nothing at all to contribute bar their warped take on the world. I'm not talking about those clowns. I'm talking about the supporters who have something sensible to say, who are deeply worried (but not abusive or hysterical) about the recent developments at Ibrox – and there are loads of those. On Friday, I had a look for myself and there is plenty of lively debate and interesting thinking, plenty of heartfelt pleas and strong analysis of Rangers' plight.

Website convention dictates that you don't use your real name. Fair enough, change the convention. Make a statement. If you feel strongly enough about this then put your name to it instead of pretending to be a Gunslinger when, in fact, you're a bit of a coward. Banners calling for Murray to go will have zero impact on the man. It's a vacuous statement. As we've said here before: fine, Murray Must Go...and then what? Who takes over? Who stumps up the salaries? Who drives the operation? Nobody wants in. Nobody with money or the ability to take the club forward wants anything to do with it. Not now and not for the foreseeable future.

As Murray and Smith have pointed out, it's difficult to say how many people actually support the RST. Personally, I find them a hard lot to warm to what with David Edgar's stuttering and stammering in the past whenever my pal Graham Spiers asked him to explain why the singing of the Billy Boys was acceptable to some Rangers people.

Also, one of Edgar's deputies sent me an e-mail late last year which, to be frank, was pretty gross. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the RST, but each to their own.

They have followers, no doubt. There is concern, that's evident. But too many football supporters are faceless cyber warriors, all fire and brimstone with a keyboard at their fingers and as quiet as church mice when they're asked to go public. Franky Four Fingers will open no doors. Start naming names, boys. That's my advice. Really and truly, I can't see Murray taking a blind bit of notice of you otherwise.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport...miss.4887885.jp

I once wrote a letter to a local rag castigating a local SNP supporter for his persistent anti-English rhetoric (bordering on xenophobia) week in, week out, and made the mistake of including my name and address. Thinking, of course, that the discerning readership would see both sides of the argument in an adult sort of way… not a fooking hope!

I’ve never had such a torrid time for the months that Followed: from anonymous hate mail to phone calls from the local police about “persistent complaints made by me”. It was truly awful. I for one would never think about putting my name on a web site… especially on such an emotive and hate-filled subject as the old firm, no way!

Surprise surprise...another attack on internet forums.

But to be honest the frequency of these attacks demonstrate how much power forums like this and FF have. They cant control them...they cant even censor them.

But perhaps those who choose to criticise such forums should explore why they are so popular.

Firstly they are born out of a love for our club - one match day a week is just not enough for some of us - we want more of the Rangers...we want to talk live and breathe Rangers Football Club every day.

Secondly they give fans a unique platform to espouse their views/feelings opinions on the club.

Thirdly they are popular due to sheer frustration and anger. The cowardice of the press in refusing to provide balance and neutrality in the sectarian debate often means that internet articles are often more accurate and truthful than what is written in the press.

Let me give you an example - and a highly contraversial one at that - The Big Jock Knew campaign. This internet based campaign and the subsequent chanting at matches was slaughtered by the press and the media in general. Stein is such a sporting icon in Scotland that the press dare not take up the cause of the campaign. And what was that cause ?

It was to prevent a man who knew that child abuse was occuring within Celtic Football Club, and who failed to take the appropriate action to stop it, from being posthumously knighted.

Seems pretty reasonable to me and perhaps if the press had printed a fair and balanced article on the subject there would never have been the need for a Big Jock Knew campaign.

Furthermore Jock Stein is obviously only the tip of this iceberg. There a whole lst of people who were far more involved in the hushing up of this scandal than Stein, and Im sure it wouldnt take much investigative journalism to identify who they were and the scope of their involvement.

But from our press you will hear nothing. They are far too busy ridiculing Snowman and And Four Fingers for following convention and posting on a website.

And they wonder why internet forums are so popular ?

The only thing that matters is whether the points made are valid, not who made them.

Given the current climate regarding the club's treatment of its own supporters, does anyone actually not believe that there would be a good chance that dissenting voices would be identified and either threatened with the loss of their season ticket or worse?

Oh, and another thing.

Rant over, I think.

:craphead: I hope that was on purpose haha

That is a god awful article.

The press in this country is embarrassingly bad. Every one of you who buys one of these rags every day is keeping stars like that in a job. Only paper I read is the Metro ... it's full of the same piss-poor lazy journalism but at least it's free.

Was squirming yesterday at Darryl Broadfoot on Sportscene. That wee bas was in my college class. Only reason the talentless arsehole is a journalist is because daddy is well known with the Herald heirarchy. He was spouting similar anti-Internet pish too. What really annoys me is they all miss the important issues. I think we all appreciate that Rangers are skint, what we. want questioned is the way our club has been run in recent years and the lack of support shown for the fans by the club.

Now why would people who spend a part of there working day doing something they shouldn’t be not use there real names…..

I wonder if a quick scan of follow follow would find a tom English username……

On the actual subject manner I heard a while ago Sir David has been spending a bit of time on follow follow seems it may be true. No wonder he has got a bit obsessed by it, who wouldn’t reading the libellous nonsense and filth that is posted about him. It’s an embarrassment on that front.

Guest Andypendek

Ha! Scaredy cat, scaredy cat, sitting on the door mat, all the little internet posters, will have a little bit of him....

To borrow from 'them': Soon there'll be no journos at all!!!

And I looked, and I saw the internet. And I saw it had no journos on it. I saw that it was good.

Now why would people who spend a part of there working day doing something they shouldn’t be not use there real names…..

On the actual subject manner I heard a while ago Sir David has been spending a bit of time on follow follow seems it may be true. No wonder he has got a bit obsessed by it, who wouldn’t reading the libellous nonsense and filth that is posted about him. It’s an embarrassment on that front.

Again, totally selective.

There are excellent and worthwhile points posted on here every day surrounding both the financial and playing sides of the club, excellent points which are never answered.

I wonder why Murray/the media don't pick up on them. Even more ironic given that a percentage of their news stories are lifted straight from RangersMedia and FollowFollow etc.

Tom English is Irish.

Tom English is a former RC priest.

Tom English is rarely objective in his writings on Rangers and Rangers supporters.

His fellow Scotland on Sunday scribe, Andrew H Smith(former Editor of ra Sellik View) did a piece on internet posters. He identified a poster called, 'Covenanter' as being particularly pernicious, including a paragraph of prose to nreinforce his point. I did not mind at first, the very thought of upsetting 'H' made me feel quite warm and fuzzy. Having re-read the prose, I knew it was not mine, it was another poster called, 'PaisleyProd'. As stated, accuracy and objectivity in matters Rangers, not a strong suit at Scotland on Sunday. I suspect both English and 'H' are anxious to maintain and continue standards set a decade past by Spiers and McCarra?

If someone from the club is concerned about anything I post or believe it's incorrect, all they have to do is send me a PM and ask to meet me in person, and I am more than happy to do so.

In addition it is possible for someone from the club to post here. I once posted something that made a very serious allegation against the club on another site, and it actually prompted the Financial Director of the club at that time to register and refute the allegation (despite the fact or perhaps because that I had proof).

There are excellent and worthwhile points posted on here every day surrounding both the financial and playing sides of the club, excellent points which are never answered.

I wonder why Murray/the media don't pick up on them. Even more ironic given that a percentage of their news stories are lifted straight from RangersMedia and FollowFollow etc.

It's selective because these are the posts i am talking obout. If someone was posting lies about you would it not piss you off ?

Answered by who...do you expect the chairman to log in and start answering your posts ?

Half these guys opinion pieces are lifted from the internet and MB's like these so that is why they are scared as this medium threatens there jobs. If i was the chairman i would log off of follow follow and never go near the place again, who wants to people talking personal ill informed nonsense about you.

Undoubtedly there are completely clueless people on the web spouting a load of pish. However people like this do tend to get filtered out and it is the people who make quality and valid points that get noticed and remembered.

To completely dismiss fan websites is stupidity from the club. The club should be looking at these sites as a valuable resource for fans opinion. Not dismissing our very existence.

Absolutely spot on Badger (tu)

It's selective because these are the posts i am talking obout. If someone was posting lies about you would it not piss you off ?

Answered by who...do you expect the chairman to log in and start answering your posts ?

Half these guys opinion pieces are lifted from the internet and MB's like these so that is why they are scared as this medium threatens there jobs. If i was the chairman i would log off of follow follow and never go near the place again, who wants to people talking personal ill informed nonsense about you.

That'd be very interesting, although going by his technophobic ramblings about 'webs' then I doubt he'd be any good at it.

It's daft that Murray is even on there in the first place because he must know how a big number of the fans feel about him. He's in a high and privelaged position so surely he must expect the flak that comes with it, no?

As is increasingly the case though, I agree with your basic sentiments.