This week in training

papaguy51

I really hope I don't see any pictures of Ferguson jumping around on McCulloch's back having a good laugh in training this week. I hope I don't see any pics of all the Scottish lads standing in a wee circle having a chat while the rest of the players are working hard.

Going by our recent record at Pittodrie, maybe the players don't realise how big Saturday's game actually is. Smith should spend every free minute drumming it into the players just what exactly is at stake this weekend.

If our players can't psyche themselves up to win this game I'm of the opinion that they're not fit to wear the shirt. It's not a time for pissing around in training. For the £xxxx a week the players are on, surely they can have a week (or ten) of serious work in preparation for this.

Maybe I'm being a scrooge with my 'no fun' policy, but discipline is the most important thing.

If Walter had any sense at all he would have those players practicing set pieces and crosses every day this week. Aberdeen's defense looked very uncomfortable in dealing with balls coming into the box and are vulnerable from set plays, especially corners.

But like you say, it will probably be the usual larking around and low intesity stuff in preparation for this match. Then we can go to Pittodrie on Saturday and hit the first man with every corner, get Boyd to drill every free-kick against the wall and rely on Broadfoot and Papac to provide the quality from the wide areas. :anguish:

Fun is important on the training ground mate. Like any job football can become mundane for the employees so a release from the daily grind can help on occasion.

However, this week (and for theforseeable future) I sincerely hope commitment, passion and a motivated can-do attitude are the main actions of all connected at the club.

I'm sick of our team only turning up after 30-45mins of matches. Time we took the initiative from what was a good weekend for us and gained the confidence/bottle required to win this title.

But like you say, it will probably be the usual larking around and low intesity stuff in preparation for this match. Then we can go to Pittodrie on Saturday and hit the first man with every corner, get Boyd to drill every free-kick against the wall and rely on Broadfoot and Papac to provide the quality from the wide areas. :anguish:

I'd laugh if the truth of your post didn't hurt so much.

I stood in amazement on Saturday as our manager failed to take off a defender after Falkirk were reduced to 10 men. Surely, another offensive player should have been introduced instead of having to rely on Broadfoot or Papac to make the play.

I really hope I don't see any pictures of Ferguson jumping around on McCulloch's back having a good laugh in training this week. I hope I don't see any pics of all the Scottish lads standing in a wee circle having a chat while the rest of the players are working hard.

From what I have read since joining here you make some decent points but that is just a ridiculous criticisim, do you think the two photos you see on the club website is a reflection of what happens at training ?

If Walter had any sense at all he would have those players practicing set pieces and crosses every day this week. Aberdeen's defense looked very uncomfortable in dealing with balls coming into the box and are vulnerable from set plays, especially corners.

and I hope they noticed Mulgrew's whipping free kicks n corners ...they had better practice defending set pieces as well

Fun is important on the training ground mate. Like any job football can become mundane for the employees so a release from the daily grind can help on occasion.

However, this week (and for theforseeable future) I sincerely hope commitment, passion and a motivated can-do attitude are the main actions of all connected at the club.

I'm sick of our team only turning up after 30-45mins of matches. Time we took the initiative from what was a good weekend for us and gained the confidence/bottle required to win this title.

I'd say, going by what I've seen of the training, they've had enough fun so far this year.

They're all big mates by the looks of things so even if they aren't all having jolly japes on the training ground, the bond will still be strong.

I agree with everything Lee says. If we did work in set pieces in training this week, it'd be the first time since Walter came back by the looks of it. It's a part of the game in which we are just woeful.

From what I have read since joining here you make some decent points but that is just a ridiculous criticisim, do you think the two photos you see on the club website is a reflection of what happens at training ?

The two?

You're having a laugh Cartman :P

The whole 'all the Scottish lads standing in a circle' picture is a regular one, it pops up every time pictures of training are published. And you only need to watch the games to see that we're....ahem...'lacking' in any sort of technical training, as BITC says.

I stood in amazement on Saturday as our manager failed to take off a defender after Falkirk were reduced to 10 men. Surely, another offensive player should have been introduced instead of having to rely on Broadfoot or Papac to make the play.

The problem is we see it every week mate. Broadfoot gets a rough time from the support but he is clearly being given far too much responsibility than any full-back ever should. Same with Papac, although having Fleck ahead of him made a real difference.

Playing a central midfielder on the wing is always going to create problem, Davis will naturally drift in-field to become more involved in the match and therefore the onus is on Broadfoot to act as the attacking outlet on the right. He is a defender, nota winger who will get to the by-line and deliver perfect dangerous crosses into the box.

The problem is we see it every week mate. Broadfoot gets a rough time from the support but he is clearly being given far too much responsibility than any full-back ever should. Same with Papac, although having Fleck ahead of him made a real difference.

Playing a central midfielder on the wing is always going to create problem, Davis will naturally drift in-field to become more involved in the match and therefore the onus is on Broadfoot to act as the attacking outlet on the right. He is a defender, nota winger who will get to the by-line and deliver perfect dangerous crosses into the box.

Agreed. We all know the limitations of Broadfoot so asking a central-defender come full back to be our creative influence game after game isn't very clever IMO.

It took until the second half on Saturday for the team to realise that Falkirk only had one man up front and that we needed to push Papac/Broadfoot further forward. The Bosnian especially stood alongside Weir for most of the first half and did nothing to support Fleck (who was largely anonymous in the first half).

Ater half-time we did push Papac/Broadfoot forward to better effect but I'd much rather we used a genuine offensive player and sacrifice a defender when looking to finish off teams. More so when the opposition only have ten men.

I'm no football manager or a captain of industry but sometimes I'm left speechless are how slow we are to react tactically in games.

Guest therabbitt

I am not one to not appreciate the shifts that a full back can put in and also their importance to the team. But recently I have been beginning to feel that the last part of your statement is really starting to ring true.

Far too often we are spreading it wide to Broadfoot (and less so Papac) when he is too far back in our own half. I understand why we need the ball out there, Davis is one of our best players. I just feel that sometimes we would be better using the incisive passing that Mendes has to get the ball up to Miller and then look wide to Davis or an overlapping Broadfoot on the wing - even though we do this on occasion.

The extra 20/30 yards forward we would be then is very important.

Noticed that this weekend, Broadfoot was forced into playing crosses which he probably didn't want to do, because Davis wasn't creating an overlap by going more central, not either player's fault as neither are in a natural position.

As for having a lark on the training ground, nothing wrong with a bit of fun to raise their own moral, I'm pretty sure each and every one know how important the match is this weekend, as every match they play in for the rest of this season. Some of them are probably playing for their careers and their managers.

The problem we have been having is that we're not coming out of the blocks fast enough, and the look on Coisty and Walter's faces showed that they are also not happy about it that is the main thing that needs rectified.

and I hope they noticed Mulgrew's whipping free kicks n corners ...they had better practice defending set pieces as well

He can really ping them in.

The tims let him go tooo & he is better than Naylor.

He & Miller are wreaking havoc on the SPL lately