Podolski seals Cologne return

CooperSF

Lukas Podolski has agreed to rejoin former club Cologne at the end of the season.

The Germany international is set for an emotional return to the side that put him on the path to stardom.

The 23-year-old spent three goal-laden years at the Rhein Energie Stadion before securing a big-money move to Bayern Munich in 2006.

Despite securing a Bundesliga title, a League Cup and a German Cup success during his time at Allianz Arena, he has grown increasingly frustrated by his lack of first-team action.

Bright displays at the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008 helped to put him in the shop window, with Luca Toni and Mirsoslav Klose continuing to block his way at Bayern.

He has, however, now decided to return to Cologne for a fee reported to be in the region of 10million euros (£9m).

Challenge

"I have agreed a deal with Cologne starting from 1st July," Podolski said on his personal website.

"I am glad the decision regarding my future has been taken and all the speculation about me is finally over.

"I have held very good discussions with (Cologne coach) Christoph Daum and (Cologne manager) Michael Meier and I am fully convinced of the club's concept.

"I look forward to the challenge."

Meanwhile, Cologne chairman Wolfgang Overath is delighted to have secured a significant coup for the club

"I am glad Lukas is returning to us. He followed his heart," he told the club's official website.

"I am also delighted that we as a newly-promoted club could sign a Germany international like Lukas Podolski."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11890_4817070,00.html

It was the only move he was going to make really, he missed Cologne badly and never wanted to leave in the first place. Due to his personality i actually wouldn't be surprised if he finished his career at Koln. He's like a demigod there.

Failed under every manager he played under at Bayern, it was never going to work out for him at the Allianz.

Good move for him. I love when players make this kind of move and go back/stay with the team they identify with and are happy at instead of chasing money.

in other german news, donovan scored for bayern today, was that a debut goal?

Not quite, he's scored in a few friendlies now, think that's his 3rd.