Man City sign De Jong

Muff

I'm a big fan of De Jong to be honest, i'm just not sure they went about signing him in the right way. Doesn't his contract stipulate that he can go at the end of the season for £1M?

Really impressed alongside big Orlando Engelaar at last years Euro's.

hes a good player and i think he will do well in the premier league. just needs time and thats why i dont think man city is the bets club of him as if he dont perform asap they will be buying someone to replace him in july

I'm a big fan of De Jong to be honest, i'm just not sure they went about signing him in the right way. Doesn't his contract stipulate that he can go at the end of the season for £1M?

Really impressed alongside big Orlando Engelaar at last years Euro's.

De Jong wont be caring, he will be in the premiership with Man City in a shot.

Manchester City have finalised the signing of Netherlands international Nigel de Jong on a four-and-a-half year contract from German club Hamburg.

The 24-year-old has moved for an undisclosed fee after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

However, German media reports that Mark Hughes's side may have paid as much as £18m to sign him.

The midfielder had a clause in his contract that would have allowed him to leave Hamburg in the summer for £1.8m.

De Jong has played 66 Bundesliga games for Hamburg after joining from Ajax for £1.2m in 2006.

And De Jong, who is out of contract with Hamburg in 2010, had previously hinted that he would like the opportunity to join the Eastlands outfit, saying: "Everybody knows that I would like to play for a big club eventually.

606: DEBATE

Just what we needed really, better signing than Kaka in a way

akaJackoz

"I count Manchester City in that category.

The move sees De Jong join Wayne Bridge and Craig Bellamy at Eastlands as City's January recruitment list grows.

Left-back Wayne Bridge was the club's first January signing, arriving from Chelsea for about £10m, while Bellamy joined from West Ham for a fee believed to be worth £14m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ity/7834076.stm

Fantastic signing, not one i feel a club like City should be able to make but i suppose something like it was going to happen. I really just can't see the attraction of Man City to any decent player, other than money of course.

Manchester City Football Club are delighted to announce that the signing of Nigel de Jong from Hamburg SV for an undisclosed fee has been completed.

The 24-year-old Dutch midfielder with 29 international caps inked in a four-and-a-half year contract after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical earlier today.

De Jong, who played against City in the pre-season friendly at the HSV Nordbank Arena in July, joined Hamburg from Ajax in 2006 and was a team-mate of City’s summer signing Vincent Kompany.

Nigel becomes the Blues' second signing of the week following the arrival of Craig Bellamy, and along with the former Hammer, de Jong's squad number is yet to be confirmed.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid=...;newsid=6625359

I think he's a touch over-rated simply because he's came through the Ajax youth system.

He'll be steady and reliable for Man City, but I can't see him being the superstar people will expect him to be.

have to agree with that... people are saying his name like he is a superstar, he will be a great asset to man city but wont be no world beater

However, German media reports that Mark Hughes's side may have paid as much as £18m to sign him.

The midfielder had a clause in his contract that would have allowed him to leave Hamburg in the summer for £1.8m.

its funny seeing Man City get the pish ripped out them (tu)

I think he's a touch over-rated simply because he's came through the Ajax youth system.

He'll be steady and reliable for Man City, but I can't see him being the superstar people will expect him to be.

have to agree with that... people are saying his name like he is a superstar, he will be a great asset to man city but wont be no world beater

Who's talking about De Jong as a 'superstar'? If anything his arrival at Eastlands has been met with huge deflation due to the Kaka dealings.

You got it in one with your final point. A no frills, no nonsense defensive midfielder who will fit in quietly but effectively at City. He can also fill in at right back which is handy.

I see that Hamburg have lined up either Van Bommel, Poulsen or Demy de Zeeuw as his replacement. Decent, decent.

Maybe they never saw the 'point' in the £1.8m clause :mutley:

Who's talking about De Jong as a 'superstar'? If anything his arrival at Eastlands has been met with huge deflation due to the Kaka dealings.

You got it in one with your final point. A no frills, no nonsense defensive midfielder who will fit in quietly but effectively at City. He can also fill in at right back which is handy.

I see that Hamburg have lined up either Van Bommel, Poulsen or Demy de Zeeuw as his replacement. Decent, decent.

It's the Man City fans being interviewed on the telly. They make me despair at times doh

Also, I enjoyed listening to the Spuds fans creaming over Palacios today because of how he'll get 'stuck in and cover the back four well'. I assume these people DO watch football, yes?

He offers so much more than the simple ability to get 'stuck in'!

It's the Man City fans being interviewed on the telly. They make me despair at times doh

Also, I enjoyed listening to the Spuds fans creaming over Palacios today because of how he'll get 'stuck in and cover the back four well'. I assume these people DO watch football, yes?

He offers so much more than the simple ability to get 'stuck in'!

No, i do agree with you mate. You have a point about the City fans.

I don't understand Spurs at times. If they wanted a defensive midfielder to compliment Modric then they should have signed one of the aforementioned. Can you imagine if Palacios and Modric did click in a 4-4-2 though?

No, i do agree with you mate. You have a point about the City fans.

I don't understand Spurs at times. If they wanted a defensive midfielder to compliment Modric then they should have signed one of the aforementioned. Can you imagine if Palacios and Modric did click in a 4-4-2 though?

It would be my first-touch dream midfield!

Get Jermaine Jones on the right hand side just to compliment the duo :)

yep HSV chairman is very happy to get the cash injection...third highest transfer price in Bundesliga history after Hargreaves and Emerson