Biggest crowd ever?.....

martyb1873

Rangers FC hold the record for the largest crowd ever recorded at a league match in the UK . A record crowd of 118 000 gathered in January 1939 for a league match with Celtic FC. at Ibrox Park Glasgow.

Got this from a Google response. Maybe more turned up for a SC tie at Hampden vs Celtic - will try and check.

i believe it to be rangers v hibs in a scottish cup semi final at hampden, 1948 possibly. 143,000

Anyone got any advances?

143,570 to be exact ! :sherlock:

that crowd cost us a quiz night as it was the tie break and we guessed 143,000 and other team got it spot on

we wuz robbed i tell you

i believe it to be rangers v hibs in a scottish cup semi final at hampden, 1948 possibly. 143,000

Anyone got any advances?

that crowd cost us a quiz night as it was the tie break and we guessed 143,000 and other team got it spot on

we wuz robbed i tell you

oh well, u will know for next time! (tu)

Anyone got any advances?

we wuz robbed i tell you

You won't forget it the next time Mate, Tell them Thornton scored on 30 minutes and Sammy Cox was Rangers MOTM and claim points. ;):sherlock:

Anyone got any advances?

we wuz robbed i tell you

You won't forget it the next time Mate, Tell them Thornton scored on 30 minutes and Sammy Cox was Rangers MOTM and claim points. ;):sherlock:

How was it gettin outa there?

At one point a few years ago, in the Guinness Book of Records, Rangers were mentioned 4 times in the sports section regarding record crowds.

Largest league attendance---- 118,000.(+)

Largest aggregate crowd-------230,00(+?) Scotiish cup final + replay v. Morton.

Largest friendly crowd----------105,000 v. Eintract (Hampden floodlights switch-on)

Largest testimonial--------------65,000 (Greig)

Don,t know if that still applies but I,m sure Manchester must be there by now. (Largest travelling support)

At one point a few years ago, in the Guinness Book of Records, Rangers were mentioned 4 times in the sports section regarding record crowds.

Largest friendly crowd----------105,000 v. Eintract (Hampden floodlights switch-on)

Don,t know if that still applies but I,m sure Manchester must be there by now. (Largest travelling support)

Was at Greigs testimonial..thought there was more than that.

Did Greig hand out watches or something to the players before the game began that day? I remember thinking it was a bit rich after the huge turnout had coughed up in support of him.

So much so that I've never attended another testimonial.

Think the testimonial crowd has been beaten by Man Utd.

We have also had 102,342 for a home Scottish Cup tie v Hibs and 105,000 for a home League Cup match against Celtic.

I went for a tour of Hampden once and the guy showing us round was saying how none of these attendances are ever true and are usually quite a bit higher. He was saying hardly any kids used to pay as they used to just be sneaked through he turnstiles. Sounds reasonable I suppose, maybe some of the older members may be able to confirm this

I went for a tour of Hampden once and the guy showing us round was saying how none of these attendances are ever true and are usually quite a bit higher. He was saying hardly any kids used to pay as they used to just be sneaked through he turnstiles. Sounds reasonable I suppose, maybe some of the older members may be able to confirm this

There was a lot of talk about phantom turnstiles in the old days with owners playing down attendances to avoid taxes.

Yes..your right..

When I was a kid, my dad used to give me a 'lift over'...

Im not sure if he 'slipped' the turnstyle guy anything..

In fact I remember kids used to wait at the turnstyles and ask adults for a 'lift over'

Im not sure how the crowd numbers were derived, if they had actual counters. I think I remember seeing that at SOME turnstyles.

I worked on those turnstiles for a while, believe me the real attendance was always higher than the official one.

They were so badly designed that if you wanted to stop somebody getting in you slammed a door which left you and them face to face, no barrier.

Fkn mental.

Did Greig hand out watches or something to the players before the game began that day? I remember thinking it was a bit rich after the huge turnout had coughed up in support of him.

So much so that I've never attended another testimonial.

That was one of the drunkest days of my life - You were allowed bevvy in to the ground t=in those days and I had som huch I had to go through the turnstyles twice.

Between around 6 of us we had a cargo which would have kept a small African nation going for about 6 months.

Woke up the next day with absolutely no recollection of the game. :cheers:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh - Nostalgia aint what it used to be.

Most older Bears will know that when you were a youngster it was normal practice to be lifted over the turnstiles by an adult. I lived 5 minutes from Hampden as a kid and always made money "watching" cars and then running up to Hampden just before KO and getting lifted over the turnstiles by an adult fan. Great days!

At Cathkin Park close by you could get lifted over the turnstiles or climb in over the walls at the back of the terraces. (Cathkin was the home of Third Lanark - used to be good once- and known as the Hi-Hi's for going up and down between the divisions.

what about he scottish cup final 1962-63 against celtic which was 129,643.

the replay was 120,273.

combined total 249,916. :)

Absolutely! there were hundreds,(probably thousands at the big games)of kids "getting a lift" over the turnstiles by complete strangers every game. (tu)

the replay was 120,273.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats a good point which I can,t argue with. The game quoted in the book though, was the Morton game. I definately read this after the Celtic game which I was at.Either the Guinness book was wrong or your figures are wrong but I wouldn,t argue either way. Its ppossible that I have got the wrong figure for the aggregate.

I know, I know. The word your thinking off is senile. (I,m 67 today)

the replay was 120,273.

I remember being at that replay too! Skipped school.

the replay was 120,273.

I remember being at that replay too! Skipped school.

was it an afternoon game?