Wigan close in on Rodallega deal

CooperSF

Wigan are on the verge of signing Hugo Rodallega with the Colombian striker undergoing a medical at the JJB Stadium on Thursday.

The 23-year-old was granted a work permit two weeks ago and is set for a £4.5m move from Mexican club Necaxa.

Rodallega has won 21 caps for Colombia and scored 15 goals in 36 games for Necaxa this season.

Boss Steve Bruce described Rodallega last week as "strong and quick, with an eye for goal."

Wigan are in seventh place in the Premier League, pushing for a European spot and Bruce is keen to boost his firepower up front.

He added: "If he is like any of the other South and Central American imports we have brought to the club then we have netted another gem."

Rodallega's arrival is sure to create further speculation about the futures of Emile Heskey and Henri Camara, both of whom are out of contract in less than six months and have been the subject of transfer rumours.

Heskey has pledged to see out his contract and stay with the Latics until the summer.

Camara had been linked with a move to Stoke but said: "I am happy to play for Wigan at the moment.

"My agent has told me that there are clubs in the Premier League and in Europe interested in me.

"Stoke is a good club but I don't know about any interest from them."

Whoever he plays alongside, Rodallega is confident he can adapt to the demands of the Premier League.

"They have a very similar style to all the teams there (in Mexico) - fast, strong, tough," he said of Wigan recently.

"Considering what I have and what I am going to learn, I will get to a team with high goals.

"I think you can adapt yourself to all the leagues. If the English league is not the best in the world, it is one of the best.

"It is a big challenge to me and I am mentally prepared."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/7816674.stm