Ibrox Disaster 1902

McBoyd

Here is an image and article, i've never before seen of this disaster.

And, i post it with the most respect to those that passed away at the time.

RIP

(I would post the flag emoticon, but its laughing)

Today some interesting postcards featuring an eye-witness account of the disaster went up for sale at an auction in London. It struck me as the sort of thing Rangers or the SFA should have acquired, but unfortunately they didn’t make the reserve price, so were withdrawn from sale. Hopefully they’ll appear again soon and will find their way into Scotland.

The postcards, written in ancient German script, were sent by a young man in Glasgow to his relatives in Hamburg on April 7, two days after the disaster.

Here is what he wrote:

“On Saturday I went to the big football match with my landlord and doctor. I had never seen such a crowd of people. There was an accident - it was a bit horrific. First of all the people at the back pushed forwards, so that the people at the front were crushed against some railings and many fainted.

“The spectator area rises very high up and is built like a staircase. It looks a bit like a spectator area in Spain for bull-fighting. You can imagine just how terrible it seemed. It was a bit like a hangar.

“Shortly before the start of the football match the upper part of the terraces collapsed and a crowd of spectators fell through the construction about 50 feet high, 99 steps, each step was three inches high. So you can imagine just how high it was.”

“Of course then there was terrible confusion and the crowd surged forward on to the pitch, where play should have gone on, so that the game was almost totally disrupted and mounted police had to keep order. A great many were injured. To date two are dead and about 300 injured.

“We were not standing far from it all. However, the people here take sport too seriously and first of all little notice was taken. One man, who had fallen 50 feet, even got up again and watched the match through to the end. But this man, although he picked himself up straightaway, seemed afterwards to be very ill. That is the last time I shall go to a football match.”

Thats dedication if true (tu)

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZED IMAGE

disasterdrawing3gg1.jpg