How Should Walter set up the team?

Columbo

What formation should be used at Parkhead?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. 4-4-2? 4-5-1? 4-3-3?

• 4-5-1
    • 4-4-2
    • 4-3-3
    • other

If we go 451 and lose the game Walter will get it in the neck for negative tactics.

IF he goes 442 he'll get it for us not having the right players for a 442.

If he goes 433 he'll get it for being too cavalier.

The Catennacio system then :ph34r:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go 451 and lose the game Walter will get it in the neck for negative tactics.

IF he goes 442 he'll get it for us not having the right players for a 442.

If he goes 433 he'll get it for being too cavalier.

Thats the bottom line of it for me. Formation is not our problem, Smith's overall tactics are. Smith loves scoring one and holding to on to what he's got, whether its 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or whatever that won't change. Neither will the awful football we play.

I would go 4-4-2, my only worry is the mhanks will be out to kill. I haven,t seen enough of Edu to know if he can put the boot in but if he can then play him. Strachan will be sending out Robson, Brown, Hartley etc to kick fuck out of us AGAIN.

Our midfield is lightweight so unfortunately I think Walter will play McCulloch.

4-3-3

----------------------McGregor---------------------

Bambi-------Boogie------------Weir------------Papac

----------Davis--------Edu----------Mendes---------

Naismith------------------------------------------Fleck

----------------------Lafferty--------------------

That would be my team

I say we should play 4-4-2, Celtic appear fragile at the back and we should put them under pressure, even though as shown in the past you can't predict an Old Firm match, we should take it to them, shame Novo is out injured for this, but I think this is the sort of match Miller might actually revel in, even though I would play Lafferty up front with him instead of Boyd.

Whatever formation we play we must ensure that we either control the midfield or have raceltic on the backfoot for the majority of the game. A 4 5 1 might gain midfield control as it did in aberdeen, and a 4 3 3 might keep them on the backfoot ? Celtic are no world beaters but they are effective and their style of playing with JVH and m'donald up front will cause problems if we allow them to repeatedly come at us.

Their undoubted weakness at the moment is in defence and goalkeeper, so we should capitalise on this by taking the game to them. I feel playing 4 3 3 with Fleck / Lafferty / Naismith would cause them the most problems with the pace and energy these three have.

Another tactic to consider would be to nulify the impact Scott Brown may have, if we can contain him then they just wont function. All in all i reckon we force them to worry about us more than we about them. 4 3 3 is the answer.

Whatever formation we play we must ensure that we either control the midfield or have raceltic on the backfoot for the majority of the game. A 4 5 1 might gain midfield control as it did in aberdeen, and a 4 3 3 might keep them on the backfoot ? Celtic are no world beaters but they are effective and their style of playing with JVH and m'donald up front will cause problems if we allow them to repeatedly come at us.

Their undoubted weakness at the moment is in defence and goalkeeper, so we should capitalise on this by taking the game to them. I feel playing 4 3 3 with Fleck / Lafferty / Naismith would cause them the most problems with the pace and energy these three have.

Another tactic to consider would be to nulify the impact Scott Brown may have, if we can contain him then they just wont function. All in all i reckon we force them to worry about us more than we about them. 4 3 3 is the answer.

I would second that!, although I would prefer a goalscorer in the front three.

Walter has made a good point in the Rangers News, he has to wait until ALL his players return from international duty before he can decide what formation and who is playing!

Aye sure! Walter only uses the personnel to suit a system.

Well he does need to know which players are going to be available before he plays them out of position!

my mistake novo is injured,

would go davis right and lafferty left in that case

davis and broadfoot done well against mcgeady last time around

Why the hell would you drop John Fleck and play Kyle Lafferty on the left. I guess you have never seen Lafferty play out there before <cr>

My first though was 451 but went for 442!

Think we really need to take the game to them and there defence is so bad that i'd want a strike partnership up against them.

I'd play Boyd upfront with either Lafferty or Naismith.

Miller needs to stay on the bench as his form has been dire!

In my opinion we should go for 4-4-2 as we really wanted to get the win and with Celtic struggling we don't want to go there and be negative. It needs to be just like August 4-4-2 with Lafferty and Miller up front. Lafferty's the closest we have to Cousin so he needs to do a similar job. We need big performances from key players such as Mendes and Davis. :gerbad::gerbad:

not exactly high praise for him ,IMO

If we want to win the game we need to control the midfield area.

Our midfield is a bit lightweight, whereas Robson, Brown and Hartley will be up for the rough side of the game.

If we go 4-4-2 I think we will get bullied out of the game and they will dominate the most important area of the park as a result of that.

If we go 4-5-1 we have the extra man in midfield which will allow us to crowd them out in midfield and create more space for our "flair" players to go and try and influence the game furthur up the park.

i think lafferty will play upfront, on his own

personally i do not know what he has done to justify his selection

but if he is replacing boyd or miller - that will be good enough for some on here

i hope he does well , because we need a result

i think lafferty will play upfront, on his own

personally i do not know what he has done to justify his selection

but if he is replacing boyd or miller - that will be good enough for some on here

i hope he does well , because we need a result

Lafferty's got 5 goals in 8 starts, and I'd be willing to bet if you counted his time played as a striker he'd have more goals per minute than Boyd. He rescued a point for us at Tannadice with a great composed finish. As recently as last weekend we were struggling to get through Dundee Utd's defence, Lafferty replaces Boyd and scores 2 (even if one was wrongly disallowed).

Nah, he's done nothing to justify his selection at all :rolleyes:

Anything for a dig - both have been awful, Miller for 16 games, Boyd for 5 or 6.

Out of all our strikers, Lafferty is the one who is playing the best football - which, tbh isn't that hard.

Although he's stuck out on the left tonight albeit against shite opposition, he's managed to get himself forward, showed some nice touches, tracked back and had two shots that workeed the keeper - then again he's also showed some poor touches, a few fouls and gave the ball away.