***Generic Kris Boyd Thread***

jimmckinlay

It just proves that he can score goals and put a decent work rate. He was excellent on Sat n if he keeps it up no-one will be able to complain. Thats what makes Boyd so frustrating. he has got the ability to add other parts to his game but doesn't show them enough. it's no like he's Broadfoot who is abosultey pish but gives 100%. COME ON BOYDIE FIRE THE GERS TO THE TITLE

Certainly proves it but he needs to keep it up or its all for nothing

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It just proves that he can score goals and put a decent work rate. He was excellent on Sat n if he keeps it up no-one will be able to complain. Thats what makes Boyd so frustrating. he has got the ability to add other parts to his game but doesn't show them enough. it's no like he's Broadfoot who is abosultey pish but gives 100%. COME ON BOYDIE FIRE THE GERS TO THE TITLE

Indeed, that's the problem.

He often proves both doubters AND backers correct in the same game.

Indeed, that's the problem.

He often proves both doubters AND backers correct in the same game.

Exactly guys to be honest thats why a lot of posters, myself included get on his back. in the last couple of games he's proved that as well as scoring goals he can also do his bit for the team. Wer not asking him to do what Miller does n make these long bursting runs just the basic i.e. win headers, hold the ball up, pass to a Rangers player.

Boyd has suffered under the Fergie 'regime'. it is absolutely no coincidence that withou Fergie anywhere near MP, we have won 3 in a row, and Boyd has looked like he did in the Killie, early Rangers days.

C'Mon Kris son... be the player we know you can be and tell Baz GTF! It has to be that way if YOU are to succeed!

Believe me Bears... Ferguson's influence drags the whole club sown.

Oddly i did notice, in a set of pictures (about 20 in a frame of 5 seconds) i got, after Lafferty scored at one of the games i photographed, Boyd went over to celebrate with Lafferty, Fergie joined him and as Boyd walked off Fergie seems to be grabbing him by the arm and saying something, Boyds face didn't look impressed.

Could have been anything said though eh? :lol:

He's actually scored more goals so far this season than he has any other season at Rangers.

28 is his highest at us so far, i can see at least 35 by the end of the season, hopefully.

He's likely to be playing against two poor teams in the Scots Cup at Hampden, so could score another 4 or 5 there. His Hampden record is good (tu)

For much of his Rangers career, Kris Boyd has been the embodiment of an otherwise obsolete journalistic cliche: don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

His statistics are incomparable: 99goals in 109 starts since signing fora paltry £400,000 from Kilmarnock in January 2006. Yet there is another, more fascinating element to Boyd's football DNA. It is this: goals apart, he has been regarded - by media, managers and phone-in moaners alike - as a lumbering liability; a player trusted implicitly anywhere within the dimensions of an 18-yard box but not a man for the coal face.

Of late, he has effected a change in attitude both inwardly and externally. It is stretching the boundaries of reality to suggest Boyd has suddenly reinvented himself as an all-encompassing centre-forward but the 25-year-old, at long last, has shown a hitherto undetectable substance to his play and his personality. As a result, he has earned a new-found respectability, albeit one that has failed to manifest itself in inclusion in the PFA Scotland player of the year shortlist.

advertisement

He has long since given up the idealistic pursuit of universal acceptance but a player who has survived an aborted transfer to Birmingham City and an unedifying end to his Scotland career under George Burley has displayed a resolve that has added credibility to his instinctive knack of sticking a Size 5 beyond a goalkeeper.

Tomorrow, he will join an elite group of Rangers centenarians if he can find a route past Gregorz Szamotulski, the Hibernian goalkeeper. With Rangers' title challenge entering its final phase, Walter Smith paid tribute to Boyd's wider contribution, even if his franchised peers have not. For a manager who at various stages of his second term of office has either been exasperated by Boyd's one-dimensional qualities, or simply left him out altogether, it was high praise.

"When you have a player who is top goalscorer, you at least think he would be short-listed," said Smith. "People always have opinions on who is best or who is most consistent but he has shown he is the most consistent goalscorer. It is a great return by anybody's standards but his performances have also been better. In the past eight or nine games, even when he was not scoring, he has played far better. Do not ask me why, he just has."

Only recently, Smith went back on his suggestion that Boyd was the greatest enigma of his time. It was perceived as the final exhaustion of his patience, as Kyle Lafferty was given an extended run. However, injuries to the Northern Irishman and Kenny Miller have given Boyd a new lease of life. "I think if anything there has been a realisation that goals alone are not the be all and end all these days," said Smith. "I think the game today dictates that you have to contribute outwith the goals you score. There has to be a willingness to do a bit more for the team and that has shown in his play. Before, I think he was reliant on the fact that if he scored, that was it and he would be in the team."

Step forward Christian Dailly, a man of wisdom, a fitness obsessive and a player who has enjoyed success as a striker and central defender.

In many respects the antithesis of Boyd, opposites attract. They have struck-up a warm rapport during their time together at Rangers and Dailly was complimentary towards Boyd for a new-found dedication to his profession. The inference is that Boyd - like many observers on the outside - had simply taken his goalscoring for granted.

"I think people have just gotten used to the number of goals he scores," said Dailly. "It is easy to be blase about it and say there's Kris Boyd, he's scored again'.

He is phenomenal. He keeps scoring goals and is a right good player.

As a finisher, he is as good as anyone. It is easy to spot straight away, just as it was with Coisty."

Dailly memorably embarked on a bodybuilding programme at West Ham United only to realise excess muscle size compromised his mobility. He is a model professional and offered the case for Boyd's membership to the fitness club.

"He has definitely worked hard at it," said Dailly. "At times, he has found it tough out there but he has put himself through it.

"He was not going to be the first to offer himself for extra running sessions before but he probably would be now, to be honest. I am a big fan and he has all the physical attributes in his locker. We get on really well but I would not say I have had any influence on him, not intentionally anyway."

Smith has admired Boyd's application. There remains the suspicion that he is the right Rangers player in the wrong era. The bulk of Ally McCoist's record-breaking haul was achieved in comparatively illustrious company, save for the traumatic arrival in a patchwork Rangers squad in the early 1980s.

"Sometimes you have to look at the overall structure of the team," said Smith. "You can get away with just scoring goals when the rest of the team is strong and settled. Over the period, we have not been like that. The more difficult the game, the more you require a team effort. I hope we are getting the benefit of that now with the realisation you have to do a lot more."

He will not require to scribble down an acceptance speech anytime soon but, then, Boyd has always preferred to let his actions speak louder than his words.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...centenarian.php

Its a bit early to say he has a "new-found respectability"? He has showed improvement all season but he has only recent hit form again after a poor spell. We all know needs to focus on each game and try and put in those kinds of performances every week before he can start getting branded rangers answer to an all round centre forward despite showing in glimpses that he can do it for the club. Its all very encouraging though, especially this

He was not going to be the first to offer himself for extra running sessions before but he probably would be now, to be honest

Let's see how he does at Easter Road, he, along with everyone has to put in a shift and a big performance is required from now until the end of the season.

I hope it is a new beginning in his career. One of goals and a more team orientated perfomance. The thing is, you look at our other strikers going 'off-form' the likes of Miller who's been off form since November/December. Boyd was 'off-form' for only 6 games, thats a month or so of football. While that can be and was costly, if he's in form for the majority of the rest of the season and banging in goals then it should be enough. Hopefully he keeps up this team performance and marrys it with goals for the rest of the season and beyond.

its ppl like you that drive me mad!!!

kris boyd is a genius!!!

the guy is a goal machine and for him 2b still slated by fans is a joke!!!

he has saved us time and time again! and will prove 2b a vital player in the run in of games

when goal difference is needed !!! agreed he cant play up front alone but with 2 up front

9/10 times he will score!!! wen that ball drops to him you no something will happen!!

walter needs 2get a grip and realize wot a diamond boyd is and needs 2kp playing him!!!

from boyds most loyal fan :P

If Boyd gets another chance against celtic (which at the moment in time I think he should) hopefully he grabs it with both hands. Boyd to get his 100th against celtic?

...and his 101st and 102nd? Would be handy :D

Jen4boydy, welcome to RM. There are people on here who speak English as a first language, so can help you with that! :D

Terrible display - even his finishing, his normal saving grace, was wild and off key.

Our worst player, but at least he wasn't anonymous.

Shouldn't have been Velicka subbed though.

I said yesterday that the best way to get at Hibs is to play two strikers with pace who will un the channels and get at their backline.

Neither Boyd nor Velicka had great games today for the simple reason that they aren't pacey strikers who can work the channels.

Aye, but we won :P

I keep hoping that Boyd will prove everybody wrong and do it regularly against decent opposition such as Hibs today away, but again he was terrible. His falling on his arse any time he gets the ball is becoming tedious, his wild swing from 30 yards when he was goal side of their defence summed him up.

It's not good enough, he shouldnt be played in big games like this its as simple as that. Velicka was much better, no 2 ways about it.

I said yesterday that the best way to get at Hibs is to play two strikers with pace who will un the channels and get at their backline.

Neither Boyd nor Velicka had great games today for the simple reason that they aren't pacey strikers who can work the channels.

Aye, but we won :P

And Velicka nearly burst the net :pipe: