Formation

now then forever

What do you think the formation that would suit us best is? I really feel it's a 4-3-3. Think a lot of teams play 3 in the middle now and sometimes we can a bit over run. It would also enable us to play our midfielders in their best position. ie you could have black holding midfielder (mcculloch, faure, hutton etc could also do this job) and this would enable law and macleod to play a more attacking central midfield role, which would suit them both. Loads of players to choose from for the front three ie Templeton, Aird, Gallagher, Miller, Clark, Daly and Boyd. Obviously the wide players in the front three would also have to track back at times almost turning in to a 4-5-1 when defending. (Could also do a 4-2-3-1 as an alternative).

I agree, but thinking of a change in formation is like pissing into the wind while Ally is still around, even if he picked players on merit, picked a system they were comfortable with, he's still severely incapable of coaching any system, He can't influence games with subs, he doesn't have the foresight to plan.

I agree, a 4-3-3 suits our players down to the ground. It frees up our best players to do what they do best. I'm was convinced 4-3-3 was the way to go, but the more I think about it, I think two holding mids in a 4-2-3-1 would be better.

Would like to see Hutton and black holding, it's not a glamours job, a lot of hard running, chasing down and keeping it simple, shifting the play onto our forward players and covering our fullbacks when caught upfield. As I say, a lot of graft but it's the most important job on the park (tu) with Hutton and black, that's our best bet, not a massive fan of both but they could do the role well if coached properly.

Leaving Macleod, temps and McKay (for me he's been fucked by us) playing behind miller or Clark. Temps and McKay have the pace to run beyond miller and the skill to commit the defenders. All three have the ability to open up teams.

Law drops out in this team which I don't really agree with, despite being missing for large spells, I think there's a player in there, when he's firing, he always looks for the one two and to get the ball going forward. I could see a place for him in a holding role in place of black, would need to temper his game slightly but he's fit and quick enough for the hard graft. I'm thinking he could easily fill a Jordan Henderson type role. Who's came on leaps and bounds these last two years.

First things first - a manager that can coach a few systems well and play players on merit. Then we can sort out our system (tu)