Smith assurance for Boyd

1690 Posts

http://www.soccer365.com/EUROPEAN_NEWS/Sco...11_133253.shtml

Scotland boss Walter Smith has assured Kris Boyd his irregular place in the Rangers team will not affect his international chances.

The striker was dropped by Gers boss Paul Le Guen for the Bank of Scotland Premier League match against Dunfermline on Saturday. The 22-year-old is part of a 16-man squad for Scotland's B international against the Republic of Ireland at Dalymount Park in Dublin on Tuesday night.

Smith said: "It is preferable that a player plays regularly for his club, and we have a number of cases at the moment where that isn't happening. It doesn't affect me that much, because Kris is still playing for Rangers. If he wasn't playing at all then it would be a great concern."

Smith is well aware Boyd is not the finished article.

"Kris is who he is, and everybody knows that. We need to work hard to get the benefit for him and ultimately ourselves," said the coach.

"For any manager or coach, you can't just accept how a player is. You try to improve him, and I'm sure Kris accepts that. There are not many natural goalscorers about, and you can see even in training that's what Kris is."

The question for many - but not necessarily the Scotland boss - is how best to deploy Boyd.

"There was a debate over whether he can play as a lone striker, but I don't think it matters," said Smith. Kris scored twice for Scotland against Bulgaria in Japan while playing on his own up front. I definitely wouldn't disregard Kris, because I think it's essential we have someone around capable of sticking opportunities away."

The squad is down to 16 after Celtic forward Shaun Maloney pulled out with a calf injury and Hibs captain Kevin Thomson was struck down by flu.

Smith said: "It's a blow for Shaun and us as well. Last season was his first full season at Celtic, and he won player-of-the-year awards. He then got an injury at the start of this season. Shaun has made just a couple of appearances at international level - so it's disappointing he is injured again, because we wanted to see him in this game."