Are there too many teams in Scotland

In the words of "The Stranglers" something gotta change.

We really dont need or have enough teams to support all these leagues.

We should have a pyramid system-all the best Junior/Highland teams/lower league-into a top semi-pro league with 2 up & 3 down & 18 teams to encourage positive football.

An Spl 2

with 18 teams & two up & 2 down.

SPL Premier

16 Teams & two up & 2 down.

We would once again start to produce better games & a better standard of footballer due to the loss of the fear factor.

Teams would not be as far behind Rangers/Celtic pointswise & would not play them as much.

I can remember being on Hols in Arbroath when Rangers came-the town was buzzing-as they hardly ever saw the big teams there-the locals were desperate to see Rangers play.

I could see that happening again-familiarity breeds contempt.

The most simple way to bring a bit more spice into the Scottish Leagues would be to open up the door at the bottom of the 3rd division and let the Junior teams in, with someone getting relegated from every professional league.

It would be a start anyway.

The most simple way to bring a bit more spice into the Scottish Leagues would be to open up the door at the bottom of the 3rd division and let the Junior teams in, with someone getting relegated from every professional league.

It would be a start anyway.

Absolutely. Completely spot on.

I honestly couldn't be more in favour of opening up the Scottish game to a pyramid system. One of the reasons why lower league quality is so dire is that there is no incentive for teams in the 3rd division with no realistic promotion hopes to avoid finishing rock bottom. Similarly, there is no way for a Juniors or Highland League team to gain promotion to the Scottish leagues without an existing team going bust, which majorly harms the game anyway.

A pyramid system is the way forward and I think the football associations in this country are neglecting this country's footballing heritage and future by looking at the end of their nose rather than out in front.