Laptop annoyance

scotty657

Basically, I was downloading Windows updates on my laptop last week, and the bugger decided to switch off. Now whenever I try to re-start, just before it gets to the Windows loading screen, it re-boots.

So I figured I needed to re-format. I tried my Toshiba recovery disc but it's scratched and wont work. Also the recovery bit that's built into the laptop wont work.

Anyone know of anything I can do to fix this utter mess?

when it starts to boot up at the bios screen tap f8 to bring up windows boot up options. From here try booting into safe mode or last known good config or you may be able to try recovery option here.

If not you could get a copy of windows that matches you COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop and do a fresh install.

What happens when you try the toshiba disc?

It may be they have disabled booting from cdrom in the bios as acer do this.

I dont see why this would happen if you were just downloading or installing updates and there may be an underlying issue.

Do you have access to another computer at home or someone elses xp/vista disc?

If you do have access to another computer you could download a backup of windows xp/vista(depending on what you use) and do a clean install and use the key on the COA on the bottom of your laptop.

Same if a mate has a xp/vista disc you could also do a clean install.

Both of these methods will lose all data and you need to be sure the disc is the correct one for your key ie xp home, xp pro, vista home, vista premium.

I had this problem aswell. I didnt have the vista disk so i took it to creative computing. They said my hard drive was corrupt so they replaced that and reloaded windows. Since then, no problems!

I had this problem aswell. I didnt have the vista disk so i took it to creative computing. They said my hard drive was corrupt so they replaced that and reloaded windows. Since then, no problems!

How much did that cost?