Moses McNeil

The most famous of the kids who founded The Rangers Football Club.

Moses is credited with giving our Club it's name.

Moses along with Tom Vallance lived long enough to see the Club that they had formed on Fleshers Haugh in 1872 grow to playing in front of crowds in excess of 100,000.

Moses we salute you.

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/Moses-McNeil.html

Rangers staged a 50 year celebration dinner in 1923, it was a considerable affair. A fair number of the Old Timers were invited and attended. I have heard both stories, Moses was in attendance, and also he was not invited. I suppose it depends upon your view of Rangers first biographer and Dinner organiser, John Allen?

Whatever, in 1923 and for the following 17 years, the ability to record, and indeed film was readily available. Rangers were probably the biggest club in the world, why did they not utilise such technology? Imagine, if we could hear our founders' voices? Imagine, they related those evening training sessions in the West End Park, articulated the frustration of Queens Park refusal to play against them, collecting the pennies to purchase their first ball(a second hand speciman), ...........etc.

What an opportunity missed!

Rangers staged a 50 year celebration dinner in 1923, it was a considerable affair. A fair number of the Old Timers were invited and attended. I have heard both stories, Moses was in attendance, and also he was not invited. I suppose it depends upon your view of Rangers first biographer and Dinner organiser, John Allen?

Whatever, in 1923 and for the following 17 years, the ability to record, and indeed film was readily available. Rangers were probably the biggest club in the world, why did they not utilise such technology? Imagine, if we could hear our founders' voices? Imagine, they related those evening training sessions in the West End Park, articulated the frustration of Queens Park refusal to play against them, collecting the pennies to purchase their first ball(a second hand speciman), ...........etc.

What an opportunity missed!

Here's a report on that Dinner.

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/The-Rangers-50th-Year-dinner.html

Ferguson and Forresters is now the Karen Millen shop next door to the entrance to the Princes Square shopping centre on Buchanan Street.

For me he is probably the best known of the original founders. Is that simply because of his memorable first name do you think? Had Tom Vallance been baptised 'Noah' would he be the sig below the avators of first time posters on RM then?

Thanks for the link.

For me he is probably the best known of the original founders. Is that simply because of his memorable first name do you think? Had Tom Vallance been baptised 'Noah' would he be the sig below the avators of first time posters on RM then?

Thanks for the link.

It's said we've had two Moses since time began.

One is sat in heaven at God's right hand.

The other parted the Red sea.

:D

Thanks for the link.

I think his name helped - but not nearly as much as being credited with naming our greatest of clubs.