Positional Discipline

ogbg

I'm all for players occasionally trying something different like Bougherra or covering for each other but at times today it felt like nobody knew where they should be or what their roles were. As the first half wore on Edu, who had looked quite decent on the right of midfield, drew back so deep that we almost had 2 right backs. Then Wylde appeared in front of both Edu and Broadfoot on the right and Lafferty popped up on the left wing. Throughout the match Naismith dropped back so deep that he was putting through balls into the empty space that he should have been occupying in the final third. I know confidence is clearly an issue right now but it just seems odd that a bunch of players who know each other so well should suddenly become so disjointed an undisciplined.

Talking about positional discipline, I think Bocanegra (who was my man of the match btw) could have caused us a bit of bother in the 2nd half had Goian stayed on.

Reason being, in the first half, Bocanegra spent more time playing more as a LCB with Wylde doing a lot of the full back work. Even though Bocanegra was the assigned LB, he pushed himself gradually further and further towards the centre as the half progressed.

Talking about positional discipline, I think Bocanegra (who was my man of the match btw) could have caused us a bit of bother in the 2nd half had Goian stayed on.

Reason being, in the first half, Bocanegra spent more time playing more as a LCB with Wylde doing a lot of the full back work. Even though Bocanegra was the assigned LB, he pushed himself gradually further and further towards the centre as the half progressed.

Never really noticed that myself but sounds similar to what I'm describing with Edu/Broadfoot. Maybe the discipline was fine and that's what they were supposed to be doing on either flank!

Agree regarding Bocanegra in general BTW. I thought he looked quite comfortable and challenged impressively in the air for his small stature.