Invention..

McBoyd

I had this idea in my head when i was about 14/15, not sure how, or why. Must of been during exam revision for Science.

But anyway, it consisted of using sensors in objects that give off alot of energy, as in not to waste said energy. Like solar panels collecting the suns energy..

Like a light bulb. It would involve having sensors at the top somewhere in the red zone.. (see diagram) that take the wasted heat and light energy that is shot out in that direction and put it back into the bulb to be re-used. BUT doesn't effect the way the product works, in this case not effecting any of the light given off to the room.

bulbui4.jpg

Of course you'd only get like a 5% come back if not less, but if every house used one in every room? Thats quite a bit.

Then again im sure there is someway they could invent a see through glass sensor that is the glass bulb part that collects all the energy given out by the light and therefore putting about 80% + energy back into the bulb?

Would that work? Probably already been done now :craphead: as that was 6/7 years ago i thought of it. :lol:

so you had as much pish running around upstairs when you were younger as you do now? :pipe:

good idea tho,but havent energy saving bulbs sort of cottoned on to that idea? i dunno bulbs aint my strong point :P

I was probably alot worse, i had tons of ideas and inventions scribbled in some book.

No idea where it is now, just reading something reminded me of this one.

:craphead:

i think hamsters are the way forward for lighting tbh

granted the standard sockets would all have to be replaced for over sized ones but this would be cost effective imo

bigger bulb like a goldfish bowl,hamster and wheel inside,powering a dynamo,hamster lives for 2 years,replace hamster

i think hamsters are the way forward for lighting tbh

granted the standard sockets would all have to be replaced for over sized ones but this would be cost effective imo

bigger buld like a goldfish bowl,hamster and wheel inside,powering a dynamo,hamster lives for 2 years,replace hamster

Oi, I have a wee hamster who's lovely!

aye he might be lovely but he could be saving you 70 quid a year in electricity,let him work for his keep

:lol:

When he's done throw him on a bbq and add a bit of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce and serve it on a stick as LAMB KEBAB :craphead:

Hmmm. <_<

For a start the system would have to consist of more than just sensors. It might not even need sensors at all.

You could surround the bulb in an opaque or clear hood (so that light gets still through) and have thermal collectors lining it somehow to absorb the heat energy.

It might be possible to make them out of some type of photosensitive material so that some of the escaping light energy can be collected through the same covering.

Maybe if only a certain wavelength of light is absorbed, allowing the rest to escape? :(

And then it would need a cell to store power in and a regulator to moderate how much power the bulb draws from the mains.

The bulb could then be supplemented with power from the cell.

It would be a terrible waste of money though and probably bigger than it needs to be, so until there are more efficient and less expensive ways of transforming and storing energy, the ultimate bulb - your superbulb - will never exist. :(

126eofo.jpg

The picture is a bit fucked up, the trapped light/heat is supposed to appear inside the hood - not inside the bulb, 1 layer down - where it is collected and transferred to the storage cell.

This is all mere speculation though as I know fuck all really about science and stuff. :craphead:

Hmmm. <_<

For a start the system would have to consist of more than just sensors. It might not even need sensors at all.

You could surround the bulb in an opaque or clear hood (so that light gets still through) and have thermal collectors lining it somehow to absorb the heat energy.

It might be possible to make them out of some type of photosensitive material so that some of the escaping light energy can be collected through the same covering.

Maybe if only a certain wavelength of light is absorbed, allowing the rest to escape? :(

And then it would need a cell to store power in and a regulator to moderate how much power the bulb draws from the mains.

The bulb could then be supplemented with power from the cell.

It would be a terrible waste of money though and probably bigger than it needs to be, so until there are more efficient and less expensive ways of transforming and storing energy, the ultimate bulb - your superbulb - will never exist. :(

126eofo.jpg

The picture is a bit fucked up, the trapped light/heat is supposed to appear inside the hood - not inside the bulb, 1 layer down - where it is collected and transferred to the storage cell.

This is all mere speculation though as I know fuck all really about science and stuff. :craphead:

:craphead: neither do i, i was 14/15 at the time

Hopefully one day my super bulb will be invented and ill be rich :lol:

You guys ever heard of conservation of energy? doh

The only energy that is "wasted" from a conventional light bulb is electromagnetic radiation in the non-visible part of the spectrum. A lot of heat is given off by conventional light bulbs, but without that heat, you would have to turn your heating up a bit, thereby negating any gains you got by collecting the heat from the light bulb. Energy efficient light bulbs only emit light in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum (not STRICTLY true, but the extra is negligible and uncollectable, at least economically) so that loss has already been dealt with.

Now, go to bed and leave the science to the grown ups!!! :harhar:

The only energy that is "wasted" from a conventional light bulb is electromagnetic radiation in the non-visible part of the spectrum. A lot of heat is given off by conventional light bulbs, but without that heat, you would have to turn your heating up a bit, thereby negating any gains you got by collecting the heat from the light bulb. Energy efficient light bulbs only emit light in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum (not STRICTLY true, but the extra is negligible and uncollectable, at least economically) so that loss has already been dealt with.

Approximately 90% of the power consumed by an incandescent light bulb is emitted as heat, rather than as visible light.

Thats terrible :lol:

Fair enough with the heating point, but some people have the heating on anyway and the lights in winter.

Lighting represents around 12 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions from households

(tu) Nice again :lol:

And the collection of wasted energy wasn't meant for only the light bulbs that was just an example idea..

I mean could the same theory be then thrown onto a street lamp? In line with the 'light bulb' idea.

Whilst alot of them aren't run on incandescent lights, like the bulbs i was talking about, from looking into it they run on Sodium vapor lamps?! Im sure there will be some heat emitted from those (alot less than that of the bulb im sure) but that heat is a good 20 foot or more off the ground, and most likely of use to no one?

:lol: Feck it, i give up, :craphead:

Approximately 90% of the power consumed by an incandescent light bulb is emitted as heat, rather than as visible light.

Fair enough with the heating point, but some people have the heating on anyway and the lights in winter.

Lighting represents around 12 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions from households

And the collection of wasted energy wasn't meant for only the light bulbs that was just an example idea..

I mean could the same theory be then thrown onto a street lamp? In line with the 'light bulb' idea.

Whilst alot of them aren't run on incandescent lights, like the bulbs i was talking about, from looking into it they run on Sodium vapor lamps?! Im sure there will be some heat emitted from those (alot less than that of the bulb im sure) but that heat is a good 20 foot or more off the ground, and most likely of use to no one?

Low pressure sodium (LPS) lamps, also known as sodium oxide (SOX) lamps, consist of an outer vacuum envelope of glass coated with an infrared reflecting layer of indium tin oxide, a semiconductor material that allows the visible light wavelengths out and keeps the infrared (heat) back.

The heat loss from a 60W bulb (if you use the 90% figure) is at a rate of 54W. For comparison, climbing a flight of stairs uses energy at a rate of 200W.

Also, lots of people (the majority?) have heating which is run on a thermostat. If the heat from the light bulb isn't there, the heating works (allowing for 100% efficiency) by using the same amount of energy as there is heat loss from the light. As 100% efficiency is unobtainable, you will actually be using more energy to heat your house (with the associated increase in greenhouse gases)!

Giving up has been your most useful contribution to this thread :craphead:

Oh, and exposing my geekiness :blush:

Low pressure sodium (LPS) lamps, also known as sodium oxide (SOX) lamps, consist of an outer vacuum envelope of glass coated with an infrared reflecting layer of indium tin oxide, a semiconductor material that allows the visible light wavelengths out and keeps the infrared (heat) back.

The heat loss from a 60W bulb (if you use the 90% figure) is at a rate of 54W. For comparison, climbing a flight of stairs uses energy at a rate of 200W.

Also, lots of people (the majority?) have heating which is run on a thermostat. If the heat from the light bulb isn't there, the heating works (allowing for 100% efficiency) by using the same amount of energy as there is heat loss from the light. As 100% efficiency is unobtainable, you will actually be using more energy to heat your house (with the associated increase in greenhouse gases)!

Giving up has been your most useful contribution to this thread :craphead:

Oh, and exposing my geekiness :blush:

:lol:

YOUR A GEEK TOO, just in different areas :P hahaha!

I think had i of carried on my interest in science when i made this idea at 14/15 by now (20, 21 soon) i'd know alot more about science, but i dunno what happened.

My interest was lost haha

Now that we're on this subject, you know those combination convection ovens/grills? The ones that use light and heat to cook food? How does that work? :craphead:

Ok, I'm going to go for... No they don't!

I presume you mean combination convection/microwave ovens(and grills)? Actually, it depends on how you define light. "Light" is generally tought of as electromagnetic radiation in the visible part of the spectrum. Above and below the visible part are the infrared and ultraviolet ranges. These include radio waves and microwaves (in the infrared) and x-rays and gamma radiation in the ultraviolet.

The combination ovens use microwaves (oh, and normal convection - heat) to cook food (I'll explain that if you like, but it's pretty dull!). While microwaves are essentially the same thing as light (with a longer wavelength and lower frequency), you wouldn't really say light is cooking your food.

You're in the science hour with Dr bluepeter! :D

Now that we're on this subject, you know those combination convection ovens/grills? The ones that use light and heat to cook food? How does that work? :craphead:

I presume you mean combination convection/microwave ovens(and grills)? Actually, it depends on how you define light. "Light" is generally tought of as electromagnetic radiation in the visible part of the spectrum. Above and below the visible part are the infrared and ultraviolet ranges. These include radio waves and microwaves (in the infrared) and x-rays and gamma radiation in the ultraviolet.

The combination ovens use microwaves (oh, and normal convection - heat) to cook food (I'll explain that if you like, but it's pretty dull!). While microwaves are essentially the same thing as light (with a longer wavelength and lower frequency), you wouldn't really say light is cooking your food.

Aye, but my maw got one not long ago, and on the box it was described as being a 'light assisted combination microwave/fan oven and grill'. Or something like that. :D

When you put the grill on, it heats up and grills as normal but after about a minute, a big lamp comes on and it's really, really bright and stays on for about 20 seconds and then goes off, comes back on - and so on and so on. :craphead:

Aye, but my maw got one not long ago, and on the box it was described as being a 'light assisted combination microwave/fan oven and grill'. Or something like that. :D

When you put the grill on, it heats up and grills as normal but after about a minute, a big lamp comes on and it's really, really bright and stays on for about 20 seconds and then goes off, comes back on - and so on and so on. :craphead:

That is what is known in the trade as a "gulllible lamp." It is an expensive piece of kit, adding £50 - £100 to the cost of your oven.

:pipehorse: