Westermann Leaves Schalke For Hamburg

OFFICIAL: Heiko Westermann Leaves Schalke For Hamburg

The German international has switched clubs within the Bundesliga...

Ambitious Bundesliga outfit Hamburger SV have confirmed the transfer of German international Heiko Westermann from Gelsenkirchen side Schalke 04 for a reputed fee of €7.5 million. The versatile defender has signed a four-year deal at HSV.

The Rothosen were looking for a new defender following the departure of Jerome Boateng to Manchester City earlier this summer. Head coach Armin Veh had made the capture of Westermann one of his primary targets on the transfer market.

The 26-year-old centre-back started his professional career at Greuther Furth and also played at Arminia Bielefeld before joining Schalke in 2007. He has made 92 Bundesliga appearances for the Konigsblauen, scoring 12 goals in the process.

Westermann has also represented Germany at senior level, but he missed out on the 2010 World Cup due to injury problems.

He's expected to form a defensive partnership with Dutch international Joris Mathijsen in the 2010-11 campaign. Westermann could make his Bundesliga debut for HSV in the away match against Schalke on 31 July.

Now i think we have enough defensive players :) .

Left side : Dennis Aogo / Marcel Jansen ( if he dosent play offensiv )

center : Joris Mathijsen / Heiko Westermann / David Rozehnal

Right side : Guy Demel / Dennis Diekmeier ( new from Nuernberg )

and new from FC Portsmouth , Lennard Sowah ... his favourite possition is the left side , but i think he can play all defensiv parts

does he not also play in Midfield , im sure more often than not he was in DM for Shalke , maybe im confusing him with someone else of course

His favourite position is the defensiv center .. thats what he plays in the german team . Magath told him that Hoewedes and Metzelder will play there , and he has to change the positions where he just in time is needed . That was the reason for him to go to hamburg . Because we need him for the center .

i see schalke keep up losing players i recently heard Kuranyi signed with Dinamo Moscow

i see mate he will be earning 6 million euro per year apart from it Dynamo signed Voronin from liverpool who had a lot of variants with the other clubs

Voronin and Kyraniy could play well in Chelsea or Rangers