Celtic are to blame for season of misery

Celtic are to blame for season of misery

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

WALTER SMITH last night blamed CELTIC for kicking off Scotland's season of shame.

Smith quit as Rangers boss after clinching Three in a Row at the weekend.

He's bowed out with a dig at Celts - insisting THEY started the off-the-field controversy which plagued the season by questioning the country's referees.

Smith's side won the title by one point after their devastating 5-1 victory over Kilmarnock on Sunday.

He says that rival Neil Lennon and his side have got no one to blame but themselves for finishing second in the SPL.

Smith said: "After the season we have had here I am ready to get out of here, out of Scotland.

"It has been a fraught year for everybody - I don't think that there has been any doubt about that.

"When it gets to this stage, it seems to me that all of the focus has been deflected from what it should have been on, which is football players, what they do, who wins, who loses.

"We have not been talking about that this season.

"The season got off to a bad start, in that respect, when Celtic put up a challenge to referees and to everybody else.

"That got the season off to a bad start and it went downhill after that.

"From my own point of view, I hope everybody would realise that people who work in Scottish football - referees included - are always under terrific scrutiny.

"It was an unfair circumstance they were placed in this season and I just hope that now everybody gets on with it.

"I would hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, then they will win.

"If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it's referees or any other influence.

"I don't say that in a smug way.

"I just felt that it set the tone for what has been a poor season for our country, in terms of publicity overall.

"As I said about three weeks ago, it seems as though I have spent a season answering questions about everything except football.

"So it's great that we've shown a winning mentality to lift the league title and the League Cup."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3584403/Celtic-are-to-blame-for-season-of-misery.html#ixzz1MYtkxs4p