Rangers v Manchester Utd

tufts1690

Just talking to my old man about the match, anyone got any more info or even better pictures of it?

Cheers

From memory I think it was early 70's. It was cup quarter final day north and south of the border and both Rangers and Man U had been knocked out

of their respective tournaments so arranged this friendly. Not sure if it was a testimonial or not.

Rangers won 3-2 with John Greig scoring the winner. ( We cleaned up in the local Manchester bookies as they had Rangers at 3-1 ).

Man U had set aside about 8,000 places at the end opposite Stretford Road but approx double that turned up. I remember fans being pulled up from the

standing lower section up into the seated stand above to escape the crush.

A fair few punch ups as well before the game including one on the centre circle when a bear replaced a Man U flag placed on the centre circle with

a Rangers flag. Happy Days

I travelled up from Birmingham with a few blues fans and they could not believe what they witnessed. As they kept saying you need to be careful going to Man U they are all nutters uk.gif

The Rangers supporters bus went down from the briggs, what I recall, my mates all said it was like a battle off the park the whole 90 min, lots of crowd trouble!!! But they all enjoyed it!!!!........that's the main thing! :craphead:

The Rangers supporters bus went down from the briggs, what I recall, my mates all said it was like a battle off the park the whole 90 min, lots of crowd trouble!!! But they all enjoyed it!!!!........that's the main thing! :craphead:

I used to be in the Bishopbiggs bus in the 70s also.

This match was played on a "free" Saturday in March 1974, when Scottish Cup and FA Cup games were being played. Both Rangers and Man Utd had been knocked out earlier (Rangers 0 - 3 Dundee), and thought it would be a good idea to play a "friendly".

As a young 18 year old Bear, I travelled down with three others the night before, and stayed at one of my mates aunts in Liverpool, before travelling the short distance to Manchester the next morning. I parked my wee grey Austin 1000 van in a multi-storey in Manchester city centre, and we all headed off to the game on foot. We got to Old Trafford at about 2pm, and noticed the Trafford Park Inn across the road from the ground was absolutely bursting with fellow Bears, and rocking to "Follow-Follow" and all the other tunes of glory. As we crossed the road, one bear was being arrested for heaving his right boot up the arse of some unfortunate Manc, whilst pleading his innocence to the arresting officer saying "C'mon officer, it's only a f*$king FRIENDLY !"

When we got into the ground, and whilst the Rangers team were out on the pitch still suited up, one a few Mancs ran on to the park from the Stretford End, and invited the away support to come on down and "exchange addresses". We have NEVER been a support that "DOES WALKING AWAY" so the invitation was accepted, and hundreds of Bears entered the fray, and ultimately took up residence in the Stretford End for the rest of the day.

After the game we wandered back into the city centre, and were just behind a group of some 12-15 Bears as they approached, and were denied entry to the rather posh Picadilly Hotel. The doorman more or less told them to FECK off, and wasn't even happy to let them in "just to use the phone", as the hotel's phone was out of order (the days before mobiles). The group turned away, and disappeared down a side street, and returned about 10 minutes later with an up-rooted red telephone box, and launched it through the front door of the Picadilly Hotel, and ran off, whilst one of them shouted "See if THAT one works ya BASTARD !!"

The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful...BTW The Rangers won 3-2 [Greig, Johnstone & Parlane (pen.)] :uk:

WATP !!

This match was played on a "free" Saturday in March 1974, when Scottish Cup and FA Cup games were being played. Both Rangers and Man Utd had been knocked out earlier (Rangers 0 - 3 Dundee), and thought it would be a good idea to play a "friendly".

As a young 18 year old Bear, I travelled down with three others the night before, and stayed at one of my mates aunts in Liverpool, before travelling the short distance to Manchester the next morning. I parked my wee grey Austin 1000 van in a multi-storey in Manchester city centre, and we all headed off to the game on foot. We got to Old Trafford at about 2pm, and noticed the Trafford Park Inn across the road from the ground was absolutely bursting with fellow Bears, and rocking to "Follow-Follow" and all the other tunes of glory. As we crossed the road, one bear was being arrested for heaving his right boot up the arse of some unfortunate Manc, whilst pleading his innocence to the arresting officer saying "C'mon officer, it's only a f*$king FRIENDLY !"

When we got into the ground, and whilst the Rangers team were out on the pitch still suited up, one a few Mancs ran on to the park from the Stretford End, and invited the away support to come on down and "exchange addresses". We have NEVER been a support that "DOES WALKING AWAY" so the invitation was accepted, and hundreds of Bears entered the fray, and ultimately took up residence in the Stretford End for the rest of the day.

After the game we wandered back into the city centre, and were just behind a group of some 12-15 Bears as they approached, and were denied entry to the rather posh Picadilly Hotel. The doorman more or less told them to FECK off, and wasn't even happy to let them in "just to use the phone", as the hotel's phone was out of order (the days before mobiles). The group turned away, and disappeared down a side street, and returned about 10 minutes later with an up-rooted red telephone box, and launched it through the front door of the Picadilly Hotel, and ran off, whilst one of them shouted "See if THAT one works ya BASTARD !!"

The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful...BTW The Rangers won 3-2 [Greig, Johnstone & Parlane (pen.)] :uk:

WATP !!

Haha! That story was magic :lol: