Switching between integrated and dedicated card

Blue Atheist

Evening fellow bears, I've got quite a crap laptop with an integrated graphic card but I'm about to purchase a laptop with an integrated Intel HD 4000 card and also a dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT 630M card but I was wondering when the Nvidia card will be in use and when the integrated card will be in use. Do they switch automatically depending on how demanding the video/game i'm playing is or do I have to manually switch?

Just wondering as I don't really want to pay all that extra money for a laptop with a Nvidia card if its always going to be using the Intel HD integrated card anyway.

ps, this is the laptop... is it worth the money?... Seems a good spec for a budget gaming laptop and the Nvidia card seems to rank quite high on the benchmark tables.

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-571G_Windows_8_Core_i5_Laptop_-_Black_NX.RZJEK.010/version.asp#top

Evening fellow bears, I've got quite a crap laptop with an integrated graphic card but I'm about to purchase a laptop with an integrated Intel HD 4000 card and also a dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT 630M card but I was wondering when the Nvidia card will be in use and when the integrated card will be in use. Do they switch automatically depending on how demanding the video/game i'm playing is or do I have to manually switch?Just wondering as I don't really want to pay all that extra money for a laptop with a Nvidia card if its always going to be using the Intel HD integrated card anyway.ps, this is the laptop... is it worth the money?... Seems a good spec for a budget gaming laptop and the Nvidia card seems to rank quite high on the benchmark tables.http://www.acerdirec...version.asp#top

It switches between them.

For less demanding tasks(general use) it will use the HD4000 to save power consumption/battery life.. When gaming and so on it will use 630m chip. They don't really work together unfortunately.

As for the 630m chip itself.. its barely midrange. I'd imagine most modern games will run around 30 fps on low to medium settings..

It switches between them.

For less demanding tasks(general use) it will use the HD4000 to save power consumption/battery life.. When gaming and so on it will use 630m chip. They don't really work together unfortunately...

Ah right, I thought I maybe had to manually switch but thats good if it knows when to switch and does it automatically.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. :)

Ah right, I thought I maybe had to manually switch but thats good if it knows when to switch and does it automatically.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. :)

I have a manual switch on mine, on the front just under the touchpad. Nvidia with CUDA GT 540M, seemed an ok card about a year ago when i got it

I have a manual switch on mine, on the front just under the touchpad. Nvidia with CUDA GT 540M, seemed an ok card about a year ago when i got it

I'll check when I get it in case I have to manually switch also.

How did you find gaming on the 540m? What games did you play on it?

Dead island, black ops 2 work well on it, not really tried much else other than civ 5 and football manager which you could run without a dedicated card

I'll mainly be playing Footy Manager and strategy games similar to CIV5 so its should be okay :) Thanks mate, I was unsure if it would be enough but that has put my mind at ease.

Might play a bit of COD as well but that game is why I sold my XBOX, lol. Took over my life. :) Any spare time I had went straight onto a Team Deathmatch..