Lee Wallace And The Rangers Captaincy

LEE WALLACE hopes he will be able to retain the Rangers armband as he looks to inspire the Light Blues to Ladbrokes Championship success.

The defender has skippered Mark Warburton’s side so far this term as the Gers have seen off Hibernian and Peterhead on cup duty.

Rangers have yet to officially announce who will be captain this season and midfielder John Eustace, who wore the armband for Derby County last season, remains on Warburton’s radar as he continues to train at Murray Park.

Wallace was stand-in skipper on several occasions last term and is keen to assume the role on a permanent basis as Warburton looks for Lee McCulloch’s successor.

He said: “Obviously, I've been honoured enough that I have worn the armband in these early games and I've had it in seasons gone by when Jig was suspended or injured.

“Those discussions can wait until the manager or David Weir sees fit. There are a number of candidates, experienced, big characters in that dressing room who could do the job, too, so we'll just need to wait.

"Possibly that (being on trial) might be the case and if it is, then it's an honour to try and hold on to that. But the manager is big on values, professionalism and we need to show it on and off the pitch and ultimately how well you do on the pitch.

“Again, I don't quite know, but I'll certainly be giving it my all, as I would do if I didn't have the armband anyway.

“We need to show professionalism, drive and positivity, and show the hunger about where we should be playing our football. I've said it 101 times and I don't think we'll be too far away this year."

Source: The Evening Times.

Hope you keep it Lee.