Rangers 1 vs. Celtic 1 Dec. 17 2006

Bazza

MIXED EMOTIONS

A lucky deflected goal saw Rangers clinch a late equaliser but that in no way what so ever told the story of a great Old Firm encounter.

The better football with the better possession and the best attacks all came from, what looked like, a very fired up Rangers side. The post, each side, the keeper and a couple of near misses all made for a deeply frustrating afternoon as we fought doggedly for an equaliser and came so close to a winner.

There was no doubting the dominant force of the game, which makes it that wee bit harder to accept that we only took one point. In saying all that though the game did remind me of many a Rangers Celtic game in Walter’s time where the tables were turned.

Overall I see it as another step forward for us as once again we produced the kind of football that would trouble any side. Just need to work on finishing the chances.

Today’s team: -

McGregor: - Talk about a mixed bag. Flapped terribly for the Celtic goal but redeemed himself with an outstanding save from McGeady in the second.

Rmed Verdict: - 7

Hutton: - Excellent day for the much maligned right back. Put McGeady in his place and really looked fired up. Supported the attack well, just needs to work on his crossing.

Rmed Verdict: - 8

Svensson: - Had a very solid game up against Zurawski. He was strong in the air (surprisingly) and good in the tackle. Looks to be taking command of the back line

Hemdani: - Cool and composed on the ball and always looking to play it out of defence, unlike his no compromising partner. What a time to claim your first goal for your club too.

Smith: - A rash day for Smithy today. I don’t know if the occasion got to him but he wasn’t his normal steady self in attack or defence. Very lucky not to give away a penalty. (Can’t blame him for wanting to put the boot into Lennon though!)

Rmed Verdict: - 6

Sionko: - Ok in flashes but just doesn’t give enough. Had a lot of the play come to him but his end product just wasn’t there. In saying that he was very unlucky with his shot on the rebound, which clipped the post.

Bazza: - What can I say that I haven’t in the last few weeks? He is Glasgow Rangers and looked a level above anything he was up against today. I just wish, and no that he will, that he had rounded it off with that goal in the first half.

Rmed Verdict: - 9 (MOTM controlled the game from start to finish)

Clement: - Does all the dirty work and tracked runners all over the pitch. He has become an ideal foil for Bazza and makes some very telling passes of his own.

Adam: - Not in the game enough for me. He doesn’t like being wide out on the left and quite often Smith was left isolated at the back. Whipped in a couple of crosses but could have done more.

Novo: - All the usual work and passion from the wee man. Worked Celtics back line very hard and was unlucky not to get the reward of a glorious goal in the first half.

Prso: - Ran his heart out for the team. Battled with McManus and Balde and came out on top. It’s really sad that his knees are giving out because he could lead the line for a few years yet.

Sebo (On for Sionko): - Thought it was nailed on for him to score in the dying minutes. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be.

Rmed Verdict: - 4

Buffel (On for Adam): - Didn’t add anything in the 10 minutes he got.

Rmed Verdict: - 4

PLG: - Set his team out well and had them fired up. Must be feeling a little frustrated at not quite getting the rub of the green today (penalty claim excluded). Will be happy at the effort and desire shown though.

A good day that could have been so much better for us. If nothing else we have proved to ourselves that we can more than compete with this Celtic team and that has to instil a greater confidence throughout the squad.

WATP

Baz.

http://rangersmediamatchday.blogspot.com/