John Hartson tells fans he is feeling better

BryanRfc

CELTIC hero John Hartson yesterday thanked the well-wishers who have boosted his cancer fight by sending him cards and flowers.

Hartson, 34, said he's been given a "big lift" by fans who have flooded him with messages of support.

The former Wales star has been bravely fighting for his life after testicular cancer spread to his brain and lungs.

He has undergone two brain ops and earlier this week started a gruelling course of chemotherapy.

Yesterday Hartson thanked friends, family and fans for their support - and medical staff in Swansea for their care.

He said in a statement: "I'm feeling well at the moment.

"I'd like to thank all the wonderful staff for the excellent care they have been giving me.

"I'm really grateful to all the people who have sent messages, cards and flowers - they have been such a big lift to me and my family.

"People have taken time out to write a message and buy a card and that means a lot."

SunSport columnist Hartson is being backed in his fight by former world champion boxer Joe Calzaghe, Tour de France cycling legend Lance Armstrong - who beat cancer himself - and ex-Wales and Manchester United ace Mickey Thomas.

The sportsmen joined hundreds of other well-wishers from across the UK by sending messages of support to the ex-Arsenal striker.

Old Firm fans have also united to back the former player.

And Hartson has even received get-well messages from Our Boys fighting in Afghanistan.

His family revealed the star was sent the notes by UK soldiers and US Marines.

Speaking yesterday, he added: "I'm not going to be able to thank everyone personally for their message but I appreciate every one, both from inside and outside football.

"And the biggest thanks to my fantastic family and friends."

Health bosses have begged wellwishers not to phone or turn up in person at the hospital in Swansea.

The Scottish Sun revealed on July 13 that the dad-of-three had testicular cancer, which had spread to his lungs and brain.

He had gone to hospital in agony on July 10 after suffering from blinding headaches.

The former West Ham and Wimbledon player was kept in over the weekend for tests by concerned doctors at the Singleton Hospital in Swansea.

Three days later surgeons were forced to operate to relieve pressure caused by the cancer.

On July 28 we told how Hartson was battling back from a second brain op to drain fluid from his head following the initial procedure.

Docs said the star was making an "excellent recovery" from the op.

His family added: "We're delighted he's been able to make some progress but realise he has a long way to go."

Amazingly, pals told how he had joked about the lump on his testicle - as cancer ravaged his body.

Hartson joined Celtic in 2001 when Martin O'Neill signed him in a £6million transfer. He helped the Hoops on their run to the UEFA Cup final in 2003, but agonisingly missed out on the showpiece in Seville due to a back injury.

But he went on to land the Scottish Football Writers' Player of the Year award in 2005.

He also jointly won the Scottish PFA version of the honour with Rangers rival Fernando Ricksen in the same year.

Hartson helped Celtic win the league in his final season in 2006 - by scoring on his birthday, April 5.

During his career, Hartson also played for Luton and Coventry. He briefly joined new Celtic boss Tony Mowbray at West Bromwich Albion after leaving the Hoops.

Hartson scored 89 league goals for Celtic over his five-season stay at Parkhead.

The Welshman was capped 51 times by his country and scored 14 goals.

More recently he became a member of the SunSport team with his regular columns. Hartson had also been forging himself a career as a TV pundit with ill-fated Irish broadcaster Setanta. And he has hinted at a return to football as a club coach or manager.

In June he took part in a tribute match at Parkhead in memory of Celtic legend Tommy Burns, who died of skin cancer at the age of 52.

John split from wife Lowri, 33 - the mother of his children Rebecca, 10, and Joni, six - after she discovered his relationship with Scots art teacher Sarah McManus, 37.

Pregnant Sarah had his third child - a daughter called Lena - in July last year.

Good to hear the big man is getting better (tu)