John Greig on Davie Weir

Boab

JOHN GREIG reckons he's discovered the secret to evergreen Davie Weir's success.

When Rangers signed Weir in the January window of 2007 it looked little more than a stop-gap measure.

But three years on the 39-year-old looks better than ever as he gets ready to ride to the rescue of his country before leading Rangers into the Champions League.

Weir, overlooked for the humiliation in Oslo last month, will anchor the Scotland defence for the 64th time against Macedonia at Hampden on Saturday.

Greig believes the Ibrox skipper will take the crunch World Cup qualifier in his stride and sees no reason why he can't continue at the highest level into his forties.

And the reason? Gers legend Greig reckons it's because Weir treats every game as if it were his last.

He said: "Two or three years before my career finished I had one hell of a season with hamstring problems.

"They thought then I might have to chuck the game because of my injuries.

"But I got myself fit and I decided I loved football so much I would take each match as if it was my last.

"I went on to play about another 100-odd games without missing one and, looking back, I got fantastic enjoyment from that period.

"The reason I mention that is because that's the way Davie is playing just now.

"He realises that maybe the past couple of seasons at the very top level have been a bit of a bonus for him.

"He has made his mind up he is going to enjoy himself.

"I speak a lot with David and have a great respect for him. He lives properly and is very much a family man. He has looked after himself."

Greig was voted the greatest-ever Ranger by the club's supporters for the magnificent leadership skills he displayed during a glittering 17-year career. He sees many of the same qualities in current captain Weir.

He said: "I admire David a lot. To me, he epitomises what a good pro should be.

"A lot of people maybe wondered why Rangers signed him at the time. But he has been absolutely outstanding. Not just in his performances but in the way he conducts himself.

"He sets a terrific example. I've always said if you are good enough you are young enough.

"Life is about learning and experience. If someone sets an example you should always look at that. I remember coming into the game myself and looking at the older players to see what I could pick up. I was indebted to them and know how much that gave me.

"Likewise, I would reckon any of the younger players should listen to David and look at his career. He has been at the top level for a high number of years and you don't get that often."

The similarities between past and present are obvious although the one thing Weir, who was part of the Scotland squad at France 98, has on CV which Greig never managed is a World Cup appearance.

Greig added: "The team I captained at Wembley, when we beat England just after they won the World Cup in 1967, had great players. A lot of people thought the squad - with the likes of Denis Law, Jimmy Baxter, Billy Bremner - had a good chance of doing well in the World Cup in 1966 if we had qualified.

"But we didn't qualify and that was probably one of the biggest disappointments I had."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/scot...86908-21641892/

Two great Rangers men and a great read.