Eddie Turnbull-having a ball

I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago-Radio Scotland, and it was an interview with Eddie Turnbull, the former top class, revolutionary manager of Queens Park, Aberdeen & Hibs in the 60,s , 70,s & early eighties & famously claimed George Best got him the sack.

It was an absolute scandal this man walked away from football after Hibs sacked him in 1980

He also was a coach of Scotland after Jock Stein wanted him to join the setup.

The radio interview was fabulous with a now 85 yr old having bleeps put in the show as he has a tendency to swear a bit.

His Hibs team were probably the best "Football team" in Scotland in the early 70's which with Celtic & Rangers teams who had won European trophies was very good going.

I liked his interview so much-the man is so interesting you have to read his book.The stories & humour are brilliant.

I Watched his side beat Celtic in the 1972 League Cup final on youtube and see the flair & talent a Scottish side could produce when it was taught properly.I was genuinely impressed.

Right up there with Cloughies for a cracking read of a forgotten Genius.

I've spoke to him a few times. Good guy. I remember when he was in hospital a couple of years ago, he was next to my Grandad and he was telling my Grandad how he thought Derek Riordan was shite, called him a lazy bastard!

I've spoke to him a few times. Good guy. I remember when he was in hospital a couple of years ago, he was next to my Grandad and he was telling my Grandad how he thought Derek Riordan was shite, called him a lazy bastard!

He is certainly an interesting character.Put Joe Harper on his arse-along with a few other players.Took absolutely no shite & could build a team.

Other managers were a bit scared of him & his reputation.

HE WAS ASKED in a cloak & dagger interview to become the Manager of Rangers & was taking the job, but turned us down when he was told he would not have full control of team selection as the board at Ibrox told managers what players could & couldnt play at that time-early/mid seventies.

Tell you what it would have been scary what he would have done with money to burn.