The Rangers AGM - The More People Talk, the Less They Say

Frankie

Don't disagree with any of that.

The SPL is limiting our financial competitiveness that much is sure and anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is deluded. However, by the same token, it could be argued that club doesn't make the most out of its potential and is inefficient. Ergo, we should be examining all the best small clubs who are able to compete strongly as well as the big clubs for where we can match their operations - either increasing or reducing the model depending on our exposure.

This is the bare minimum and, like you say, should be explored no matter who owns it under what system.

Of course, I don't doubt the club have done all of this to a degree but for whatever reason we've not seen a great deal of success from it. I don't know who to blame in that regard but someone has to take responsibility while someone else assumes leadership. We're not seeing much of either at the club currently.

Alistair Johnston is in somewhat of a honeymoon position himself at the moment. Criticism of him is light and tempered with his 'caretaker' role. Even Bain is free from the usual abuse for the moment. The next 4 weeks sees some difficult matches so I hope they are both ready for the onslaught that will come their way if we're not within easy reach of Celtic come the night of 3rd January.

Agree with your points entirely. Do you think we'd benefit from a management consultancy having a good look at us and how we are run? It's a relatively expensive process but I'm not sure the current staff have either the time or skill set to suggest the overhaul we need on a management front.

there costs would certainly be far lower.......

I assume you mean "their" costs? Why would they be so much lower? Is it purely a wage issue? If it is mainly on wages then surely we're not getting value for money from our players?

I'd be interested to know what positive view you could offer for the long term sustainability of the running of the club.

Do you really need this explained to you, it’s surely quite obvious why wages and expenses are higher in this country…… <cr>

To an extent, however DMB getting 10k a week is bad management!

Agree with your points entirely. Do you think we'd benefit from a management consultancy having a good look at us and how we are run? It's a relatively expensive process but I'm not sure the current staff have either the time or skill set to suggest the overhaul we need on a management front.

In the STS project one of the articles discussed the need for a fresh injection of talent at board level. Obviously since that was presented to the club we've seen two directors leave (including SDM) and two come on (to keep MIH/Lloyds happy). I'm not sure we're any further forward though.

Whatever one's opinions on Muir; his record in terms of improving businesses is an interesting one. It is debatable how his ideas would improve our club but we definitely need a fresh perspective. Like most bears though, I suspect his input is not one that has Rangers interests as paramount.

Looking across the rest of the board we see names that are successful in business and a quick drink in the Members' Lounge will find further such people by the dozen. Ergo, the question is are these people too close to see the wood for the trees? Are they too busy with other interests to dedicate themselves full-time to our cause? Who is available that can provide such time and expertise?

As with prospective owners the answer is not many - if any. Thus an external consultancy may well be agreeable but the costs are prohibitive and the influence of our erstwhile chairman still too strong for anything tangible to be gained from it IMHO.

Don't disagree with any of that.

The SPL is limiting our financial competitiveness that much is sure and anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is deluded. However, by the same token, it could be argued that club doesn't make the most out of its potential and is inefficient. Ergo, we should be examining all the best small clubs who are able to compete strongly as well as the big clubs for where we can match their operations - either increasing or reducing the model depending on our exposure.

This is the bare minimum and, like you say, should be explored no matter who owns it under what system.

Of course, I don't doubt the club have done all of this to a degree but for whatever reason we've not seen a great deal of success from it. I don't know who to blame in that regard but someone has to take responsibility while someone else assumes leadership. We're not seeing much of either at the club currently.

Alistair Johnston is in somewhat of a honeymoon position himself at the moment. Criticism of him is light and tempered with his 'caretaker' role. Even Bain is free from the usual abuse for the moment. The next 4 weeks sees some difficult matches so I hope they are both ready for the onslaught that will come their way if we're not within easy reach of Celtic come the night of 3rd January.

I know where you are coming from there, but, I dont think we would at the moment. As I said before, the inactivity and inaction, are in the main due to a lack of knowledge as to where we are going as a club. We could spend the money, then, the next owner comes in and simply says "thats bollocks, its going to be done this way instead".

Kinda applies all across the board at the moment.

Frankie / Outlaw,

I guess that's the rub. We're in limbo and whilst not quite rudderless we have no clear vision of where we want to be and therefore we can't actually assemble the nuts and bolts to enable us to put in place an action plan.

All very sad and depressing. Oh for an Obama campaign where we can have some "hope".

Ok Frankie, you said

Whatever one's opinions on Muir; his record in terms of improving businesses is an interesting one. It is debatable how his ideas would improve our club but we definitely need a fresh perspective. Like most bears though, I suspect his input is not one that has Rangers interests as paramount.

Now, I take it differently I think. I have no opinion on the guy, however, his interests will be in our interests, although, I am not sure everyone will see it that way. He can turn businesses around, and, also make them profitable, now, to ME, that IS in our best interests, in fact, vital. How he does it might displease some along the way though. We were badly run under Murray, that much is obvious. Its alluded to by the current chairman, the reactions of banks etc, and, a simple look at our assets and balance sheet confirms this. I think the negative press its getting, is what makes people think its not in our best interests, since, the actual details arent known.

Frankie / Outlaw,

I guess that's the rub. We're in limbo and whilst not quite rudderless we have no clear vision of where we want to be and therefore we can't actually assemble the nuts and bolts to enable us to put in place an action plan.

All very sad and depressing. Oh for an Obama campaign where we can have some "hope".

Aye mate. Although, I think we have the vision, we just cant do anything about it, the "nuts and bolts" as you say

I do think that the AGM told us little we did not know or suspect. Most people would have suspected that Lloyds and RFC had reached some understanding and that D Muir would be re-elected with Murray's votes. That WS and his team would be kept on with no formal contract has also been mentioned before.

A lot of us were more than sceptical about Duffy's plan. That we need to improve our youth and scouting is hardly big news too.

We are simply in limbo limping along until a new buyer comes forth. That unfortunately may never happen in this economic climate and Rangers in the SPL does not seem an attractive buy to me.

My guess is the Board needs to be much more innovative and study other successful clubs in other leagues in Europe and see THEIR working model. Walter needs to be told to encourage youth in the first team. We are in debt so sell a lot of the dross we have brought in and play more youths. They cannot be much worse - probably better - than Whittaker, Naismith, McCulloch, Lafferty, Velicka, Novo, etc. Edu, Mendes and Broadfoot will be back relatively soon, but all will need time to get match fit.

The next 4-8 weeks will be crucial. Off and on the pitch. It should be an interesting time.