Andrew H Smith of Scotland on Sunday

covenanter

Yesterday's Scotland on Sunday included a letter from an Inverness Caley supporter on the previous week's preview of this season's First Division. The piece was in part penned by former Sellik View Editor, Andrew H Smith, his take on Falkirk's prospects included a howling error. Duncan McDonald's letter made it on to the main paper's correspondence page, quite rightly too :

Writer took his eye off the ball.

On the few occasions that your sportswriters comment on teams outside the central belt area I generally read with interest, what they have written. The article 'Dark Blue Days'(1 August), by Andrew Smith caught my eye, so I read it, only to be astounded by what he wrote under the heading of, 'Falkirk'.

He claims that, "History is against them, though, with no team since Hibs in 1998-99 bouncing straight back up". Where was he hiding last year? Does he follow football or just comment on it? One of the best recovery acts for many years took place when Inverness Caledonian Thistle bounced straight back up into the Premier League against all the odds and despite being written off earlier in the season. To pass comment, like Andrew Smith did, following such a great result for ICT is nothing short of disgraceful. There are teams north of Perth you know!

Duncan McDonald's, "nothing short of disgraceful" was perpetuated yesterday by Andrew Smith's match report of Rangers-Newcastle United. I have read the report several times and cannot find a mention or description of Rangers second goal. In a dozen paragraphs, Andrew tells us that Eider Gudjohnsen will not be arriving at Ibrox, a Jelavic decision will be in the offing in the next 48hours, Rangers suffer from, "debt-repayment diminishment", Kenny Miller made, "a terrific run to the near post to meet a sumptuous Whittaker cross and head Rangers in front", returned to the paucity of the squad including quotes from Miller, Smith's tactics are a forerunner to the Champions League, Rangers supporters are angst ridden over player departures, and Lovenkrands scored but did not celebrate.

Seriously, a game of three main events and Andrew Smith fails to mention or describe the middle one, it was a well worked and taken goal too. Like Duncan McDonald, I must ask, where was Andrew Smith hiding on the 66th minute on Saturday? Does he follow football or just pyoor luv ra Sellik? He has heard of Steven Naismith, hasn't he? He fails to mention his name in the entire report. Duncan McDonald asserts that Smith is not interested in any club north of Perth, he suggests slovenly journalism. I would suggest the former Editor of ra Sellik View cannot be arsed after reaching the end of the cobbles on Kerrydale Street.