laptop wont go on

Ibroxin83

Hi folks I have a compaq laptop and just the other day it stopped turning on, all the lights go on but nothing happens on the screen, before i go take it to a shop and get ripped off does anyone know what the problem might be?

Stick a hoover on the fan vent might be full of fluff.

Making overheat before it get to start.

thanks tried that don't think it is an overheating problem, my daughters is now by magic doing the exact same thing, WTF is going on bloody Compaq.

Can you hear any noise from it when you power it on?

Take out the battery and try it off the mains and see if you get the same result?

When you press the power button and the lights go on do they stay on?

can you see anything on the screen at all, if not but lights are on, do you have an external monitor/tv you can attach it to as it could be the screen buggered?

Can you hear any noise from it when you power it on?

Take out the battery and try it off the mains and see if you get the same result?

When you press the power button and the lights go on do they stay on?

can you see anything on the screen at all, if not but lights are on, do you have an external monitor/tv you can attach it to as it could be the screen buggered?

makes the start up noise, all the usual lights come and stay on and there is nothing at all on the screen, the dvd tray still opens but i dont have anything i can attach to see if it's the screen. looks like it is the expensive PC repair man for it.

makes the start up noise, all the usual lights come and stay on and there is nothing at all on the screen, the dvd tray still opens but i dont have anything i can attach to see if it's the screen. looks like it is the expensive PC repair man for it.

Definately sounds like it is the screen.

With most cases if it is the system board the machine will beep when starting up then die.

For other problems you would usually see a bios screen at least.

The only other thing I can think of is to start it up and leave it to get into windows(hoping you dont have a password) and then put a music cd in and if you have it configured to start playing you should hear noise, but you might not.

Could be a expensive repair :(

Definately sounds like it is the screen.

With most cases if it is the system board the machine will beep when starting up then die.

For other problems you would usually see a bios screen at least.

The only other thing I can think of is to start it up and leave it to get into windows(hoping you dont have a password) and then put a music cd in and if you have it configured to start playing you should hear noise, but you might not.

Could be a expensive repair :(

this is the 2nd Compaq laptop in 3 weeks that has done this fortunately the 1st one is still within the 12 month warranty and is back at HP as we speak, this one however is nearly 2 years old. I think i will stay away from Compaq from now on bougt cheap because it was for the kids and end up paying on repairs.